P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Spent much of this afternoon and early evening doing a clean reinstall of Windows 10 on my wife’s old laptop so we can pass it on elsewhere for reuse. Took 4 hours to download and install and another hour to set up, a few hiccups in this process that’s to Microsoft’s security procedure but got there in the end.

Tomorrow our annual meeting of volunteers where we get to hear of plans for the sites we cover for the coming year, we are expecting some interesting events this year. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I’m not sure about the origins but it’s one of my favourite Madeira drinks. I like the regional one with freshly squeezed orange and lemon (honey and rum) rather than the Fisherman’s which is just lemon and much more of the local sugar cane rum - too strong for me.

Next time in Madeira give it a try but only from a bar that squeezes fresh fruit (some use bottled juice). I can recommend bar number 2 near the cable car or Rei de Poncha in the town centre near the Catherdral.

Nikita is also interesting, wine, beer and pineapple ice cream mixed!

Madeira grow tea and that’s really refreshing with a pastel de nata, a corsage cheese cake or beignet and cane sugar syrup.

I love the unusual foods here. We had black scabbard fish for dinner last night with banana and passion fruit sauce. Picture attached, ugly fish but nice to eat.

IMG_3385.jpeg

I think they also call them Espada.Bit ironic that you're called ugly all your life,get eaten and then called lovely.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

True!

My husband likes the fish/fruit thing in Madeira, and always has it when we visit Funchal

Lovely spring-like weather here.  Weak sun all day yesterday (plus the Sahara enhanced sunrise and sunset) and the birds were singing like crazy.  Loads of snowdrops and catkins

We had a long walk and a pub lunch.  Liver & bacon isn’t everyone’s favourite but this hearty plateful certainly hit the spot

012FAEF6-D1F6-48C6-9BF8-58C1075EA50F.jpeg

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

True!

My husband likes the fish/fruit thing in Madeira, and always has it when we visit Funchal

Lovely spring-like weather here.  Weak sun all day yesterday (plus the Sahara enhanced sunrise and sunset) and the birds were singing like crazy.  Loads of snowdrops and catkins

We had a long walk and a pub lunch.  Liver & bacon isn’t everyone’s favourite but this hearty plateful certainly hit the spot

012FAEF6-D1F6-48C6-9BF8-58C1075EA50F.jpeg

One of our favourites,in fact we've got that tonight.Loads of onions.Also liver,bacon,eggs,chips and peasl😁.

• Like 2

My Mrs buys Lidl deluxe farmhouse wholemeal seeded loaf for me and the birds.I fancied kippers this morning but she said you can't have any bread I've only got 3 slices left for the birds.I ended up with porridge.Brings a new meaning to "where are you in the pecking order".

• Haha 14

4 hours ago, Angel57 said:

@Beckett how is Teddy doing, Jane? I hope he is back to his normal happy and bouncy self.

Hello Gill. Teddy is getting better slowly thank you. His tum is not back to normal yet and he's spent a lot of hours just sleeping. He obviously believes that in his delicate condition he shouldn't be expected to walk so I'm letting him drive his recovery. He's eaten very small amounts of chicken and rice only and he does seem a bit happier but it's hard to tell because he's such a good actor! Thanks for asking Gill. Best wishes to you and Freddie. Jane xx

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Beckett said:

Hello Gill. Teddy is getting better slowly thank you. His tum is not back to normal yet and he's spent a lot of hours just sleeping. He obviously believes that in his delicate condition he shouldn't be expected to walk so I'm letting him drive his recovery. He's eaten very small amounts of chicken and rice only and he does seem a bit happier but it's hard to tell because he's such a good actor! Thanks for asking Gill. Best wishes to you and Freddie. Jane xx

I'm pleased to hear Teddy is feeling a bit better Jane.

Graham xx

8d3bda483159b1d9213b19d0f6496f26.gif

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I excelled myself this morning, I went out to do some shopping on the way back from the school run.  I had parked on Tesco's carpark and noticed that the car could use a petrol top up so went into the service station but I didn't know how to open the petrol cap.  I assumed that it worked in the same way as the previous car, wrong and I couldn't figure out how to open it so I came home and asked OH who came out and showed me but refused to go and fill it up so I had to go and do it.  It is the first and last time that I will be filling it up, I have managed to avoid it for the last 4 months so I can manage to avoid it until we change the car. :classic_biggrin::classic_smile:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Beckett said:

Glad Teddy is doing a bit better. He sounds like our Cavalier, Rosie, she would do anything to avoid a walk. In fact she sits between my legs on my mobility scooter then sometimes gets off and has a walk. We are back at the eye hospital in Penrith with her next Friday 

Michelle

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Glad Teddy is doing a bit better. He sounds like our Cavalier, Rosie, she would do anything to avoid a walk. In fact she sits between my legs on my mobility scooter then sometimes gets off and has a walk. We are back at the eye hospital in Penrith with her next Friday 

Michelle

Thanks Michelle. Aren't they funny! Rosie and Teddy sound very similar in their walk avoidance tactics. I do hope all goes well at the hospital next week. Have a lovely weekend. Jane xx

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was signing for a delivery this morning when a young girl walking into our wheely bin on the footpath awaiting collection. Appears she was looking at her phone and wearing headphones at the time. She looked rather embarrassed as there were a few people around at the time, no damage to the bin though. 😬

• Haha 13

8 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

I was signing for a delivery this morning when a young girl walking into our wheely bin on the footpath awaiting collection. Appears she was looking at her phone and wearing headphones at the time. She looked rather embarrassed as there were a few people around at the time, no damage to the bin though. 😬

You really shouldn't leave your bin where one of the headphone wearing, phone users might walk into it. You should know that these young people have a serious addiction to their phones. 

Good thing that she didn't damage the bin though. 😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Well... a very grey sky this morning... 11˚C now and a forecast for 13˚C later...

But tonight we knock together a bit of a medieval dinner in the midst of winter. We hope to begin with pumpkin soup, go onto a very savoury game pie with winter vegetables and finish off with a richly spiced apple and blueberry crumble... the apples have been set aside for over two months so that they've sweetened and slightly dehydrated. It will be accompanied by ale produced in an ancient Suffolk Abbey. 

At the end of the meal our own delicate little home-made marchpane sweets.

Of course the table will be lit by candles and we will have a few recorded madrigals playing in the background.

But why? It seems a pity to celebrate Burns' night as we did last week to celebrate part of our joint heritage without celebrating the other part of our heritage from England. Something to look forwards to all year, to share planning, preparing and, of course... eating the result! A happy way to spend a day and to enjoy an evening.

In the words of a great philosopher,

"A wise old man told me one time 
Happiness is a frame of mind
When you go to measuring my success
Don't count my money count my happiness."

(Ken Dodd)

Best Wishes to all.

• Like 13

24 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

Well... a very grey sky this morning... 11˚C now and a forecast for 13˚C later...

But tonight we knock together a bit of a medieval dinner in the midst of winter. We hope to begin with pumpkin soup, go onto a very savoury game pie with winter vegetables and finish off with a richly spiced apple and blueberry crumble... the apples have been set aside for over two months so that they've sweetened and slightly dehydrated. It will be accompanied by ale produced in an ancient Suffolk Abbey. 

At the end of the meal our own delicate little home-made marchpane sweets.

Of course the table will be lit by candles and we will have a few recorded madrigals playing in the background.

But why? It seems a pity to celebrate Burns' night as we did last week to celebrate part of our joint heritage without celebrating the other part of our heritage from England. Something to look forwards to all year, to share planning, preparing and, of course... eating the result! A happy way to spend a day and to enjoy an evening.

In the words of a great philosopher,

"A wise old man told me one time 
Happiness is a frame of mind
When you go to measuring my success
Don't count my money count my happiness."

(Ken Dodd)

Best Wishes to all.

Flipping ‘eck, Doddy spent every waking minute counting his money, especially when the taxman was around,

• Haha 9

27 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is sunny and 11°C here this morning.

I hope everyone has a happy day.

IMG_20240203_112659.jpg

I get the 'all's well with the world' feeling when I see your in-car posts Graham. Such a pity it isn't though 😞. Long may your coffee by the sea posts continue. Thanks 👍

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

IMG_20240120_090626.thumb.jpg.479b596cd2f31dcf59dfd94fd14e9d9e.jpgIMG_20240121_082851.thumb.jpg.0b41af622f51fd8581ed543dc6a424c2.jpgIMG_20240119_091221.thumb.jpg.900cff364081cab4a039b9148a93ea2e.jpgIMG_20240118_170350.thumb.jpg.37c202a72dbd7fd3a35f7e61a6f6b447.jpgIMG_20240117_165047.thumb.jpg.04c45db1b0e26771efcaf6c844324d81.jpgIMG_20240116_112102.thumb.jpg.82e4dc88cc361e3edb023b478e3547b1.jpgIMG_20240123_071231.thumb.jpg.ca1035f6980921fb3cf8d4afefd9b094.jpgIMG_20240124_075805.thumb.jpg.97e2d79d72bcac42692c97b3a68402fa.jpgIMG_20240124_075652.thumb.jpg.6670949e2477c82df80f6f792b6e5bd3.jpg

2 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

I get the 'all's well with the world' feeling when I see your in-car posts Graham. Such a pity it isn't though 😞. Long may your coffee by the sea posts continue. Thanks 👍

Thank you for your kind words @mrsgoggins.

Here is a few balcony photos from our Iona cruise 13-27 January which made us very happy.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon everyone, hope you are all having a good day.

We are over in Yorkshire for the weekend, it is my youngest granddaughters 1st birthday party tomorrow along with a naming ceremony for her(with a celebrant). I have booked a lovely cottage for us with views over Shibden Park in Halifax. The photos do not do it justice, it is really nice.

Taking the grandchildren out tonight to a Turkish/Greek restaurant that they love so fingers crossed for a nice meal tonight.

Take care everyone 

Michelle

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Good afternoon everyone, hope you are all having a good day.

We are over in Yorkshire for the weekend, it is my youngest granddaughters 1st birthday party tomorrow along with a naming ceremony for her(with a celebrant). I have booked a lovely cottage for us with views over Shibden Park in Halifax. The photos do not do it justice, it is really nice.

Taking the grandchildren out tonight to a Turkish/Greek restaurant that they love so fingers crossed for a nice meal tonight.

Take care everyone.

Michelle

Have a lovely weekend with your family Michelle, it sounds like wil.

Jennizor

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1