P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

It is a sad day today as it is my Late Dad's 12th Memory.

Nope it's a happy day as you still have good memories of your Dad .

The sad day would be if those memories faded .

Take care mate 🙂

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, kalos said:

Nope it's a happy day as you still have good memories of your Dad .

The sad day would be if those memories faded .

Take care mate 🙂

Thank you Kalos.

My dad would help everyone.

Sadly he gave up and died 4 months after my mam.

He fell and hit his head in hospital.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

Thank you 😊

We decided last. Night that Holiday Inn in town was too expensive, over £200, so have booked Holiday Inn Fareham instead. We’ve stayed there before and it’s close to Port Solent shops and restaurants. Our first choice would have been HI Express near the cricket ground if it wasn’t for cricket being on that day and likely to be busy, they do a good breakfast 😊 Are you staying there pre-cruise?

Yes it’s really expensive now.

We are indeed going on a cruise 😁

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Kalos.

My dad would help everyone.

Sadly he gave up and died 4 months after my mam.

He fell and hit his head in hospital.

Keep those happy memories close Graham.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Hope you have a good time Sue .We found the hotel and breakfast and the transfers

to the port very good .

The other meal services were on the pricy side so we used a pub recommend by 

one of the staff .  Called The West End Brewery .Very easy to get to and  you have 

other shops very close by such as ASDA store for your last minute things or snacks

for your hotel stay . Will put direction's should you need them ...  HERE  🙂  

Thank you Kalos, very helpful.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

7°F and raining here.

I hope everyone is well and you all have a good day.

Think of the best memories you have of your dad today Graham and remember him with pride and joy. He'll never leave you. God bless. Jane xx

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Think of the best memories you have of your dad today Graham and remember him with pride and joy. He'll never leave you. God bless. Jane xx

Thank you Jane.

Graham xx

• Like 2

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Jane.

Graham xx

There you go Graham ,the jury's out and unanimous,everyone agrees..

Remember the good times and forget the bad ☺️

Today is one of those days where it's nice to check future holidays ,hotels etc 

planning is almost as good as going on them 😉

This needs careful planning so to help I think a chippy meal is on the cards today😋

That reminds me .. Did you hear about the man who walked into a bakers shop 

with a 25lb haddock under his arm and asked the baker...

" Do you sell fish cakes "

Baker said   ... "Sorry we don't "

What a pity said the man as it's his birthday today  🙃🙂

Take care everyone 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 13

Morning to you all, I hope everyone is well or if not well on the road to recovery.

It's a nice bright sunny day down here and feels pleasantly warm. Our garden squelches when you walk on it and my mother's garden flooded with all the rain we've had.

I can't believe that it is over 4 weeks since I got back from my cruise and haven't been on here in all that time.😲 We had a lovely cruise and after the stress of getting there. The return journey was the complete opposite, problem free. We landed on time, got to the station early and the assistance team arranged for us to get an earlier train and travel first class. 

A lot has been going on since we got back,  One of my sons has moved back in, so we have had to rearrange things to make room for him and his stuff. With the stress of it all I've been having more pains in my head and headaches. On the happier note. My daughter has got engated. We've had a meal out for my other son's birthday, with not just one birthday case, but two! OH invited him round for Sunday dinner while we were out, the others commented that that was favouritism, so they all came too! And of course another birthday cake.

Off now to catch up with some of the other threads.

20240209_221757.jpg

20240211_183617.jpg

• Like 15

@grapau27

Always remember the good times Graham, and keep them close to your heart.

My wonderful and much loved Dad died Aug 8th 1991 and I still miss him every day, but he has never left me as I hold all our wonderful times together throughout the years in my heart.

Have a lovely day remembering and feeling thankful for all the happy times you spent with your Dad throughout the years.

Avril x

Edited by Adawn47
missing word
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

DBFECC5B-9ABA-46F4-A866-228CAE45CA6F.jpeg

I had to smile at that, we were at my nephew's house a few weeks ago and his wife was telling their son to eat his vegetables and their daughter to eat her meat and both were threatened with having all of their electronics removed from their rooms. :classic_smile:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

@grapau27

Always remember the good times Graham, and keep them close to your heart.

My wonderful and much loved Dad died Aug 8th 1991 and I still miss him every day, but he has never left me as I hold all our wonderful times together throughout the years in my heart.

Have a lovely day remembering and feeling thankful for all the happy times you spent with your Dad throughout the years.

Avril x

Thank you so much Avril for your kind words.

Graham xx

• Like 3

@grapau27

I’m sure it’s a day of mixed emotions Graham. But your Mum and Dad are together and will always be watching over you.

My Dad died 45 years ago and I still miss him…..

Sending hugs.

Gill x

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I had to smile at that, we were at my nephew's house a few weeks ago and his wife was telling their son to eat his vegetables and their daughter to eat her meat and both were threatened with having all of their electronics removed from their rooms. :classic_smile:

How times change. It used to be 'eat up or there's no pudding'😁

Avril

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

@Adawn47 lovely post Avril and so very true.

Takes me back to when I was growing up like when I was about 9 ,

I asked him "Dad am I adopted " he looked me in the eye and smiled and said

"No we haven't found anyone who wants you yet "

I was just like my Dad and wanted to be a millionaire, he never was either.

He always helped me with my homework ..

Dad can you explain to me what a solar eclipse is.. No son he said or was it sun 🤔 

He was brill with owt like that ,I remember asking him once "Dad, how do stars die?

Drugs,overdose usually.was his reply,he knew about these things🙃

Music, technology he knew about things my Dad advised me .....

“Don’t spend too much money on expensive headphones.”

Now I have always thought that to be sound advice.😀

No getting away from it Dads are brill and spelt backwards are still DAD !!

Take care and be happy ☺️☺️

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

48 minutes ago, kalos said:

@Adawn47 lovely post Avril and so very true.

Takes me back to when I was growing up like when I was about 9 ,

I asked him "Dad am I adopted " he looked me in the eye and smiled and said

"No we haven't found anyone who wants you yet "

I was just like my Dad and wanted to be a millionaire, he never was either.

He always helped me with my homework ..

Dad can you explain to me what a solar eclipse is.. No son he said or was it sun 🤔 

He was brill with owt like that ,I remember asking him once "Dad, how do stars die?

Drugs,overdose usually.was his reply,he knew about these things🙃

Music, technology he knew about things my Dad advised me .....

“Don’t spend too much money on expensive headphones.”

Now I have always thought that to be sound advice.😀

No getting away from it Dads are brill and spelt backwards are still DAD !!

Take care and be happy ☺️☺️

'Dad, where are the Alps?'🤫

'Ask your Mum, she puts everything away'😁

Now a true Dad and daughter tale.....When the Elvis film 'Loving You' was on at the local cinema, I was about 10 maybe?, I wanted to go but dad said I was too young to go on my own, After much begging and sulking dad took me. I'll never forget the memory of him sitting in that cinema surrounded by screaming,swooning and crying females.🥴

It must have been sheer torture for a man whose favourite singer was Teresa Brewer

Avril

Thinking back now, Dad also loved listening to Jane Morgan too, 'The day the rains came' was one he played a lot on his old record player

Edited by Adawn47
added text
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Angel57 said:

@grapau27

I’m sure it’s a day of mixed emotions Graham. But your Mum and Dad are together and will always be watching over you.

My Dad died 45 years ago and I still miss him…..

Sending hugs.

Gill x

Thank you Gill.

We have been to the Hall of remembrance at the crematorium.

IMG_20240305_161329.jpg

• Like 8

11 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

7°F and raining here.

I hope everyone is well and you all have a good day.

I understand what you mean Graham but also a time to remember many many happy times with him and things he taught you that you carry with you now 

Michelle

• Like 5

Interesting post on our community page today after the announcement that one of the 3 relatively local CofE churches is to close permanently following a Order raised by the diocese.

The church is in the Historic England at risk register for around 8 or 9 years and is now categorised at the top level of risk. The church was closed in 2022 for safety reasons and they moved to the local secondary school, a dual faith school. The estimated cost of repair is in the region of £1m to £2m as the some of the issues are caused by ground movement beneath the church.

The church has an active congregation of 9, a PCC that consists of 1 person, a treasurer from another church covers the financial aspects of the church, but according to sole church warden expenditure exceeds income and the church is no longer sustainable.

However that hasn’t stopped people making comments, such as

the Church of England is well off it should cover the cost of repairs.

The church is the heart of the community (well for 9 people).

It’s an historic building it should be saved etc

When asked whether they attend or not the answer was none of the 50 or so people who commented had attended a service there excluding marriages or funerals. One didn’t know where the church was as she commented on the wrong church.

The expectation is that the church will close, the weekly services at the school are going to fortnightly, due to lack of attendees and the Diocese is merging 2 benefices.

People want to the money spent on the church but have not intention of attending, as the church warden said the church it’s the church building that is closing not the church. Joint services are planned with the other 2 churches, so those who wish to attend can do so.

I am not a church goer, but the hypocrisy of some of the people annoyed me this evening and I feel for the church warden and so of the comments she is having to deal with, some of the more extreme have been removed by the admins. 

• Like 4

@Snow Hill I am sorry that your church is closing it is a problem that seems to be growing.  We are fortunate in that our church is still well attended but when I look around it is mostly older people in the congregation so we are a reducing number.  I feel particularly sad about it because it is the church that I have attended since my parents moved to this side of the city when I was 2 years old  and I was confirmed and married at this church.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Interesting post on our community page today after the announcement that one of the 3 relatively local CofE churches is to close permanently following a Order raised by the diocese.

The church is in the Historic England at risk register for around 8 or 9 years and is now categorised at the top level of risk. The church was closed in 2022 for safety reasons and they moved to the local secondary school, a dual faith school. The estimated cost of repair is in the region of £1m to £2m as the some of the issues are caused by ground movement beneath the church.

The church has an active congregation of 9, a PCC that consists of 1 person, a treasurer from another church covers the financial aspects of the church, but according to sole church warden expenditure exceeds income and the church is no longer sustainable.

However that hasn’t stopped people making comments, such as

the Church of England is well off it should cover the cost of repairs.

The church is the heart of the community (well for 9 people).

It’s an historic building it should be saved etc

When asked whether they attend or not the answer was none of the 50 or so people who commented had attended a service there excluding marriages or funerals. One didn’t know where the church was as she commented on the wrong church.

The expectation is that the church will close, the weekly services at the school are going to fortnightly, due to lack of attendees and the Diocese is merging 2 benefices.

People want to the money spent on the church but have not intention of attending, as the church warden said the church it’s the church building that is closing not the church. Joint services are planned with the other 2 churches, so those who wish to attend can do so.

I am not a church goer, but the hypocrisy of some of the people annoyed me this evening and I feel for the church warden and so of the comments she is having to deal with, some of the more extreme have been removed by the admins. 

I am so sad to hear your local church is closing and hope there is a way to keep it open.

It is sad all those 50 who commented didn't attend church.

Our church has many activities and a regular congregation of around 40 regulars including Pauline and myself who contribute in many ways to help the running of the church.

Our church has a church shop in the village with volunteers and it receives donations of various things to sell in the shop.

• Like 6