P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Thank you everyone.  I just hope that we don't get any more problems  before we manage to get to Southampton on the return journey, the last few weeks have been really stressful and we both need a holiday now.  I have to go and collect the kiddos from school in a few minutes. I had texts from them earlier one has a netball match and the other is staying behind to help a boy who has problems with maths.  I thought that was what the teachers were for or failing that the parents but what do I know.

• Like 11

Isn’t it dreadful that we are all at the mercy of the whims of insurance companies. The delays in the NHS completing tests or treatments etc doesn’t help either.

They are quick enough to take decades of premiums for absolutely nothing but not so good when there are even minor health concerns that are not “diagnosed”.

Glad for Josy.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

back from the doctor and my ECG was clear, he has changed my medication and said that I can go on holiday but I will get an appointment to go to the hospital for more tests.  

So pleased for you Josy. You can now look forward to your much needed cruise.

I'm sure all the good wishes and crossed 'everythings' helped a little😊

Avril 

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Isn’t it dreadful that we are all at the mercy of the whims of insurance companies. The delays in the NHS completing tests or treatments etc doesn’t help either.

They are quick enough to take decades of premiums for absolutely nothing but not so good when there are even minor health concerns that are not “diagnosed”.

Glad for Josy.

Too true, the times I have read about insurance companies that drop you if you 

have any medical tests outstanding .

As for the tests in Cadiz hospital on Mrs K  9am to 1pm and the amount of tests

done on her was eye opening . Even the ships doctor after reading the medical 

notes she was given said " Have you any idea how many weeks appointments a 

UK hospital would have taken ?" 

We both agreed that our NHS do well with what they have to work with .

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, kalos said:

We both agreed that our NHS do well with what they have to work with .

After our one and only urgent requirement for the NHS, I can't praise our hospital high enough. From the speed of the paramedics arrival,10mins, his assessment on arrival at the hospital, treatment and care were amazing. All this at a busy time, 28th Dec and during the doctor's strike. 

I know the NHS is struggling and many have issues with them but I can only speak as I find.

Avril

• Like 12

16 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I know the NHS is struggling and many have issues with them but I can only speak as I find.

To be clear I was not knocking our NHS ,I would not be here if it wasn't for our 

hospitals ,who are clearly overworked underpaid and understaffed to work as 

the hospital abroad did .

The too true bit of my post was aimed more at the insurance companies who are 

quick to dump folk . Our insurance was fantastic and they were talking with us in 

less than 24 hours making sure we were both ok .

As you say I speak as we found our experience with them .

• Like 5

I too have praise for the NHS staff. From the diagnosis of my first brian turmour and operation was a total of six weeks, and after the re-growth I was treated again quickly. I can't fault the care I received during recovery and after my latest round of treatment, I receive regular phone calls to check everything is OK.

My daughter is a nurse and I know what long hours they work and the pressures they are under.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, kalos said:

To be clear I was not knocking our NHS ,I would not be here if it wasn't for our 

hospitals ,who are clearly overworked underpaid and understaffed to work as 

the hospital abroad did .

The too true bit of my post was aimed more at the insurance companies who are 

quick to dump folk . Our insurance was fantastic and they were talking with us in 

less than 24 hours making sure we were both ok .

As you say I speak as we found our experience with them .

I was actually agreeing with you kalos, that the NHS do well with the resources they have. I know you weren't knocking the NHS and I'm sorry if it came across that you thought I was.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I was actually agreeing with you kalos, that the NHS do well with the resources they have. I know you weren't knocking the NHS and I'm sorry if it came across that you thought I was.

Avril

Sorry Avril I know you didn't ,ne and Frank have had the best and my treatment was on hold a lot due to a nasty pandemic but they did me proud .

After re reading my post I thought the "Too true " bit maybe read we were not happy

with the NHS.  Nothing could be further from the truth.

It was not aimed at you or anyone in particular .Sorry if you or anyone thought otherwise.🙂

• Like 5

Good morning everyone. 

Thank you for all your good wishes. Another damp start to the day here but it's not actually raining at the moment.

I am going out for lunch with a friend today so that is something to look forward to even though I already know what the conversation will be all about because she has a lot of long term health problems and loves to moan about NHS treatment but doesn't bother to follow their instructions and "forgets' to go to appointments.

Have a great day everyone.

• Like 8

Good morning everyone,it’s wet outside but not raining and grey skies, I’m off for a eye test this morning and getting some new glasses after 3 years with my pair I use now , hopefully get through the school traffic on time .

I was up a lot during the night picking my excursion for when we hit New Orleans first stop in USA, thank you Mrsgoggins for the heads up when they got released,  I was surprised that a lot of the two early trips were almost full after checking in every day I mist yesterday because I went to the hairdresser.

Have a good day everyone and anyone feeling under the weather I hope you feel better soon.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

47c6066ad0ad47c81b2d4c232f1dc34f.jpg.ce7375ae564905d9f7c83f8ed1b49fe3.jpg

Good morning , 9.c and misty at the moment .

Today is spring equinox so wither your spring cleaning, eating spring rolls

washed down with spring water or just taking things easy have a great day 🙂

Take care everyone .

• Like 9

Morning all,

Sun tryting to get out again here, although it didn't stay out all day yestrday as we had drizzly rain in the afternoon.

Having a busy week this week, as have opticians appointment this morning. 

Hope everyone has a good day.

• Like 5

Moving on from the NHS onto safer ground (topic wise )

We are hoping sometime next week to get a few days in a row dry enough 

to cut the grass,Next door but one had a go last night but was struggling 

cutting it and seemed upset .

Maybe he was just going through a rough patch 😉😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

That's dreadful service @Megabear2. Thank goodness your friend had you to champion her. Do let us know how she gets on with a reply to the complaint.

I had a similar experience last week. My GP had sent me a text asking me to book an urgent telephone consultaion re test results. I phoned at 8am, was number 29 in the queue, got through at 8.40am - "sorry, all the appointments have gone for today". Fortunately, I knew which buttons to press and after a bit of wrangling with the receptionist common sense prevailed and I got my phone consultation.

What if I wasn't so insistent, what if I was older and less aware of the system, what if I didn't have anyone to help me steer through these muddy waters. These are the people who fall through the system and suffer the results. It's very worrying.

Jane xx

• Like 11

Good morning.

It is 8°C and raining here.

Having had 1 heart attack treated with a coronary stent put in.

2 Basal cell skin cancers removed on my face and follow up appointments.

1 Epiretinal membrane repaired.

2 Cataract operations.

Knee and hip physio.

3 steroid knee injections in my knee.

I respect and admire all of our doctors and nurses.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

• Like 12

My favourite news story today is the shop keeper on Sanday in the Orkneys (population 500) who thought he was ordering 80 Easter eggs and got 80 boxes. He has 720 eggs so more than the total population!

He is now raffling eggs to raise funds for the RNLI.

Egg - sasperated or what 

Edited by Eglesbrech
Eggs not eyes!
  • Haha 14

14 minutes ago, Beckett said:

That's dreadful service @Megabear2. Thank goodness your friend had you to champion her. Do let us know how she gets on with a reply to the complaint.

I had a similar experience last week. My GP had sent me a text asking me to book an urgent telephone consultaion re test results. I phoned at 8am, was number 29 in the queue, got through at 8.40am - "sorry, all the appointments have gone for today". Fortunately, I knew which buttons to press and after a bit of wrangling with the receptionist common sense prevailed and I got my phone consultation.

What if I wasn't so insistent, what if I was older and less aware of the system, what if I didn't have anyone to help me steer through these muddy waters. These are the people who fall through the system and suffer the results. It's very worrying.

Jane xx

My daughter had the same problem last week. Phoned at 8am, 34th in the queue and was then told no appointments left for that day. However when she explained that the doctor had said he needed to review her new meds she put her on hold (possibly to check?) then came back with an appointment for that afternoon.

Avril

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

My favourite news story today is the shop keeper on Sanday in the Orkneys (population 500) who thought he was ordering 80 Easter eggs and got 80 boxes. He has 720 eggs so more than the total population!

He is now raffling eggs to raise funds for the RNLI.

Egg - sasperated or what 

Think himself lucky they were not going cheep 🤣1e4b78fa682ae0f877a81f84677b804d.jpg.d6b2e0e5401a990c82e31ad441ac98f9.jpg

Takes me back to when the doctor wanted me to lose weight 🤔

Doctor  .."What do you have for breakfast as your still  gaining weight ?"

Me " Just two eggs each morning "

Doctor  " Are they fried  ? "

Me .   "  Chocolate "    😉😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 15

Brightish and pleasantish this morning,,, it is a wonderful time of the year when everything is springing back into life.

A stop on one of our favourite walks over the Surrey Hills with the trees in bud... just magical.. even on a day like today,

DSC_3263.thumb.jpeg.2b2a1321bac2d926fd71f639c7f90a9c.jpeg

Edited by twotravellersLondon
  • Like 15

39 minutes ago, kalos said:

How are you keeping these days Sharon?

Hopefully pain free now  🙂

Not much pain thanks but the compression fracture of the  femur has left me with one leg shorter than the other and it’s giving me back ache. Still hoping to cruise in May even if I don’t get ashore much.

• Like 20