P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

6 minutes ago, batholiver said:

If you'll recall the timeline,  Johnson was talking to Andrew Marr on Sunday in terms of weeks. On that same day, Starmer urged him to take action within 24 hours, not weeks.

The following day, yesterday,  Johnson (where did this odd notion of calling any Prime Minister by his Christian name alone, as if he were a rock star) did exactly what Starmer had said he should do the day before. Immediate action instead of action within weeks. Delay has been the problem at every stage of this crisis. 

Not a question of audacity  - it was an entirely factual statement. 

I think there are a number of high profile politicians in various parts of the UK who are masters of calling for things that they know full well are going to happen anyway. Being in opposition is the easiest job in the world. Moan about everything. Be responsible for nothing. Running a country is very different. I suspect that the PM knew full well on Sunday that he was about to be leading us into another lockdown, but an awful lot of things have to be put in place before any announcements and until that time he has no choice but to skirt around it. 

• Like 11

Just now, purplesea said:

Cold, sunny and breezy down here this morning. Nothing planned for today except update my Tesco order for tomorrow and take the Christmas decorations down. What an exciting life I lead!!😀

Sounds a bit like mine which is equally exciting.

The highlight of the day will be a walk, if the ice thaws a bit midday.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I think there are a number of high profile politicians in various parts of the UK who are masters of calling for things that they know full well are going to happen anyway. Being in opposition is the easiest job in the world. Moan about everything. Be responsible for nothing. Running a country is very different. I suspect that the PM knew full well on Sunday that he was about to be leading us into another lockdown, but an awful lot of things have to be put in place before any announcements and until that time he has no choice but to skirt around it. 

So why say the opposite?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

In which case I apologise. When you said you would not need to go shopping again for 2 weeks, it implied that you had purchased more than normal, which it transpires is not the case.

Thank you.

I will try to be clearer in the future with how I express myself.  I would never panic buy because it only creates problems for other people who may have greater need than myself.  I moaned enough about selfish people when I saw that poor ITU nurse crying because she had just finished a long shift and couldn't find any food in the supermarket early in the pandemic 

• Like 2

Morning everyone, so it looks like we will need to support and keep each other entertained for the foreseeable. Who could have predicted we would still be in this situation in 2021?? COVID-19 seemed something that was happening in China only back in March 2020 not something that would affect the UK.

Take care and stay safe everyone 

Michelle 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

So it’s cold and icy here again today. Apparently yesterday the A&E departments were full of broken wrists and ankles from falls.

If you need to go out be careful, no one wants a trip to hospital at the moment.

Have a nice day all 😀

It is a lot milder here this morning with a little rain.

It is forecast for snow later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Sir Kier Starmer has just had the audacity to say on Sky News “I called for a lockdown and the government has now announced one”. Well done Sir Kier. I can’t imagine for one moment that the near vertical climb in the infection rate graphs, the fact that there are more people in hospital than at the first peak and that we now have a new strain of the virus that is out of control would have had any bearing on the decision at all. Where would we be without you 🙄

To be fair, he was calling for the lockdown when Johnson was still saying it was ok to send children to school.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

If that's his modus operandi, people can be forgiven for thinking it's one u turn after another 

3 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

If that's his modus operandi, people can be forgiven for thinking it's one u turn after another 

OK, his modus operandi is also to wait and see which way the 'crowd' is going and then run in front shouting 'follow me' Being a populist must be difficult when you consistently can't deliver what you promised.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I would ban the expression U turn. We are in the midst of a worldwide pandemic. With the speed with which this is all evolving, decisions that seem to be sensible one day can become bad ones the day after. One thing is for certain. I’m glad that I am not a decision maker at present. Much easier to be an armchair critic 😂 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

They did not though did they. 

SAGE advised closing schools following the Christmas easing because a spike in cases was fully anticipated. This advice was given back in December. Parents in Scotland were given notice that schools would not reopen in January. Consequently they have had several weeks to arrange childcare and teachers time to prepare.

In late December (after the Sage advise had been give) councils / schools were threatened with legal action in some areas of England if they closed, by the government.

On Sunday the PM said on the Marr show that schools were safe. He reiterated this to journalists yesterday morning. He made no mention of a national statement the next day. He made no plans to allow our elected representatives in the Westminster Parliament to debate the plans.

At 8pm last night schools were closed with little to no notice and a more general announcement made with no parliamentary scrutiny.

Spot the difference? I suggest you also look at Wales and NI.

I don’t intend to engage further with you on this subject as it is pointless offering facts when an individuals doctrine means they will ignore them anyway. I’m also sure people are bored with politics. Indeed you are the one who generally berates others for engaging in them, in less of course it suits you.

I gave up trying to overcome folks ingrained dogma months ago. I just find it all amusing. Oh by the way, I did forget Wales and Northern Ireland. All 4 are pretty much the same.

36 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Morning everyone, so it looks like we will need to support and keep each other entertained for the foreseeable. Who could have predicted we would still be in this situation in 2021?? COVID-19 seemed something that was happening in China only back in March 2020 not something that would affect the UK.

Take care and stay safe everyone 

Michelle 

We had the book of remembrance visit booked online for March for my late dad.

Yesterday the council cancelled our visit and said visits are cancelled until further notice.

Do they know something we don't?.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

So you don't think there should be any protection for teacher's?

That's what I was answering Lancashire cruisers.

Graham. I'm sure teachers can make their case via their representatives. What I do not agree with is that folk think that continually calling folk incompetent is a pleasant quip. They are making lifesaving decisions and working silly hours to keep us alive. They don't need the insults and it reflects more on the insultee.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I would ban the expression U turn. We are in the midst of a worldwide pandemic. With the speed with which this is all evolving, decisions that seem to be sensible one day can become bad ones the day after. One thing is for certain. I’m glad that I am not a decision maker at present. Much easier to be an armchair critic 😂 

People, including scientists, have been calling for a lockdown for days (if not a couple of weeks).  The trajectory on the graph has been vertical for several days. 

Although  events can move quickly, Johnson waits until the last minute to take action, until he is literally forced to by events.

It’s been clear to most people that the situation is dire, and has been for days - which is why Johnson saying ‘send your children to school ‘ and then , just 36 hours later saying that the schools should close has every appearance of being a u turn.

he has consistently been reactive and never proactive. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Graham. I'm sure teachers can make their case via their representatives. What I do not agree with us that folk think that continually calling folk incompetent is a pleasant quip. They are making lifesaving decisions and working silly hours to keep us alive. They don't need the insults and it reflects more on the insultee.

I agree it's not right to insult anyone.

I'm sure they are doing their best but maybe some are out of their depth.

1 hour ago, batholiver said:

If you'll recall the timeline,  Johnson was talking to Andrew Marr on Sunday in terms of weeks. On that same day, Starmer urged him to take action within 24 hours, not weeks.

The following day, yesterday,  Johnson (where did this odd notion of calling any Prime Minister by his Christian name alone, as if he were a rock star) did exactly what Starmer had said he should do the day before. Immediate action instead of action within weeks. Delay has been the problem at every stage of this crisis. 

Not a question of audacity  - it was an entirely factual statement. 

I think It may have started with the.  Oh!  Jeremy luvvies.

Edited by zap99

24 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We had the book of remembrance visit booked online for March for my late dad.

Yesterday the council cancelled our visit and said visits are cancelled until further notice.

Do they know something we don't?.

Sorry to hear that Graham. I am sure you will have lots of happy memories of your dad and hopefully can book a remembrance visit in the future. It’s three years ago this month since I lost my dad and it would have been his birthday 3 January so not a good month here either 

Michelle

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Sorry to hear that Graham. I am sure you will have lots of happy memories of your dad and hopefully can book a remembrance visit in the future. It’s three years ago this month since I lost my dad and it would have been his birthday 3 January so not a good month here either 

Michelle

Sorry to hear that Michelle.

The case is locked with the books of remembrances in and opened in the morning at that date then locked again.

We go to look at the book and to leave some flowers.

3 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

Change of subject Graham, is your heating fixed?.

The engineer got it going yesterday so we left it on all day and night.

He called back with a new ignition this morning as the old ignition looked past it and he is currently working on it now although the red light is flashing again so fingers crossed it's not something else.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

The engineer got it going yesterday so we left it on all day and night.

He called back with a new ignition this morning as the old ignition looked past it and he is currently working on it now although the red light is flashing again so fingers crossed it's not something else.

Hope so Graham, ours was acting up over Christmas a couple of years ago, took several visits to sort it, since then no problem, touch wood.

Eric

• Thanks 1

Fingers crossed for you Graham

It’s a chilly old day here.  Above freezing but there is a raw wind and the odd one or two flakes falling.  No fear of a real snowfall though

I wondered if The Management would allow another absolutely non-cruising thread, which I would like to call Reasons To Be Cheerful.  To contain wise, positive thoughts, (!) personal celebrations- birthdays, anniversaries, new babies etc, -  non-political jokes and cartoons and the like

I will start here.  If any brave soul wants to take the idea and post a separate thread, then good on you.  I won’t because I suspect the knock-back of being transported to The Pub would simply make me give up and go away 

Reasons to be Cheerful

1.  There are less than 4 weeks until January will be gone.  Then February is a mercifully brief month, so another 4 weeks and we will be into a March.  That’s got to be good?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1