P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

My neighbour's had xrays done on her ankle, wrist and elbow, She has a small break in her elbow, but they don't want to pot it as it will restrict her mobility. She's back home now and her daughter's with her.

My friend is also back home, got back at 3.30pm. I had thought she would be able to go to her sons as she is still weak and unsteady on her legs, but the hospital have said she has to go to her own home alone and isolate for 7 days as she still testing positive for Covid. They've given her a walking frame to help, but how is she supposed to get a cuppa or anything? but her DIL has said they'll work something out.

I met Frank when I was 15 and he was and older man at 17😉I had a curfew on weeknights and had to be home for 10pm. We'd been to the pictures and I'd missed my bus, so Frank walked me home. We were saying goodnight and dad came flying out  of the house shouting. Instead of opening the gate Frank jumped over the fence. I think dad might have been angry because I said I was going out with my friends😁So that's the tale of dad chasing Frank, and we still laugh about it now.

Avril

Hi Avril I met my OH when I was 15 and he was 17 my MIL said no wedding present as it won’t last and my parents said I wasn’t allowed to see him  because he had long hair 😂we have now been married for 48 years and he is my sole mate some things are just meant to be.👍

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

he is my sole mate some things are just meant to be.👍

I agree, I met my OH when I was 3 and he was 6, he was/is my brother's best friend. We started dating when I was 18 and have now been married for 32 years 😍

• Like 4

Just now, nicki-k said:

I agree, I met my OH when I was 3 and he was 6, he was/is my brother's best friend. We started dating when I was 18 and have now been married for 32 years 😍

I feel so lucky that we met and have a wonderful relationship  just so annoying that we don’t have the same time ahead of us to enjoy our wonderful cruises 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tring said:

We have decided to stop waiting for our late June and July cruises to be cancelled, but assume they probably will be eventually and get on with the much more interesting occupation of looking for somewhere to book at that time of year (late June/early July) on a "can cancel" basis, so probably a hotel holiday, perhaps in a few different locations.

Thinking it would be nice to go north at that time of year, perhaps the North East and/or Scotland as we do not want to go to very touristy areas which could well get over crowded this year.  Any suggestions of bases which are in an interesting area, preferably with indoor options as well in case the weather does not play game?  We have National Trust membership (which I think covers NT Scotland entries as well) and in our first year of English Heritage membership, which does not cover Scotland as yet.  We would love to return to the very north of Scotland were we had a couple of brilliant holidays in the early 1970's, but not sure if that may be a bit too much of a risk this year in case restrictions suddenly change.  We also realise that school holidays will have started in Scotland by that time, which may not help. 

We are also considering Scotland and there is a Saga break which centres around Aberdeen which visits Balmoral and the Cairngorms.We would travel by train and stop for a couple of nights in Dundee so that we could visit St Andrews. We are also considering a break in Inverness but just waiting until we find out when we are likely to be allowed to travel.We also want to visit Weymouth and Anglesey this year (and possibly Suffolk )so quite a lot to fit in as well as our October cruise which hopefully will go ahead

• Like 1

2 hours ago, purplesea said:

Do not know. I have read the first four and have five and six waiting. The last one is due out book 7 "The Missing Sister" is due out in May.

I’ve just checked, I’ve read up to 5, so I think I will have to get on with 6, if the last one is coming out soon 

56 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Hi Avril I met my OH when I was 15 and he was 17 my MIL said no wedding present as it won’t last and my parents said I wasn’t allowed to see him  because he had long hair 😂we have now been married for 48 years and he is my sole mate some things are just meant to be.👍

That's lovely.

40 years married in August for us.

Definitely soul mates too.

• Like 2

I'm not a great reader of murder books, but have been reading Lucinda Riley books. Have you been reading the Seven Sisters? 

Yes Purplesea, I've read them all. Once I was halfway through the first one I knew I had to read them all. So I did - I was really hooked straight away. I've now read all of her other books too - equally good I thought. I'm waiting for her to write a new one now! She's a very addictive writer.  Glad you like her too. J.x

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’ve read some of the Seven Sisters books.

I’m up to about 4 or 5.

I normally read one on a cruise, but as I haven’t cruised for a while I haven’t progressed.

I will definitely read until the end though....... is Pa Salt really dead.... 

Not so far. I believe there's one more book to go, so hopefully all will be revealed. I don't think he is. Do you? J.x

• Like 2

Do not know. I have read the first four and have five and six waiting. The last one is due out book 7 "The Missing Sister" is due out in May.

I didn't know that. Brilliant! Something to look forward to. It's just a shame we won't be able to read it on our balconies at sea. J.x

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lindylooellalouise said:

How true. I was 17 and Frank was 18 when we got married.  His mum gave us 6 months.That was 56 years ago.

Avril

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

How true. I was 17 and Frank was 18 when we got married.  His mum gave us 6 months.That was 56 years ago.

Avril

You certainly proved them wrong Avril.

This is lovely to hear.

Pauline was 19 and I was 24 when we got married and my brother's wife said the same as your MIL.

They got divorced and both remarried.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

You certainly proved them wrong Avril.

This is lovely to hear.

Pauline was 19 and I was 24 when we got married and my brother's wife said the same as your MIL.

They got divorced and both remarried.

Sometimes Graham I think it's a combination of good luck, determination, staying power and of course love. We all change as we get older, and the person I was when we married is not the same person that I am today, neither is Frank. Our likes and dislikes alter as do our personalities. Compatable at 17 may not be at 37, 57 or 77. We are fortunate to still love the same things, even the new things that we have encountered throughout our life, and I'm thankful for that, as couldn't imagine my life without him.

Avril

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Sometimes Graham I think it's a combination of good luck, determination, staying power and of course love. We all change as we get older, and the person I was when we married is not the same person that I am today, neither is Frank. Our likes and dislikes alter as do our personalities. Compatable at 17 may not be at 37, 57 or 77. We are fortunate to still love the same things, even the new things that we have encountered throughout our life, and I'm thankful for that, as couldn't imagine my life without him.

Avril

I absolutely agree and we are exactly the same.

Graham.

• Like 2

We met when I had decided that I was either going to be married with the right person or not at all. Met Mr Presto when I was 29 and within 4 months we were engaged. Married within 10 months.

Some folk we knew who had been with their partner for years waiting for the right ring said it would never last.

26 years plus and we are still as happy as we were then and stronger  than ever. 🙂

(I have to add for anyone who read a post earlier this week, that my skin is no longer like sand paper, just more wrinkled and more characterful 😉 )

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Not so far. I believe there's one more book to go, so hopefully all will be revealed. I don't think he is. Do you? J.x

I think he’s alive, but can’t work out why he’d hurt the people who love him by staging his death. I really want to find out, so I’ll keep reading 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

We met when I had decided that I was either going to be married with the right person or not at all. Met Mr Presto when I was 29 and within 4 months we were engaged. Married within 10 months.

Some folk we knew who had been with their partner for years waiting for the right ring said it would never last.

26 years plus and we are still as happy as we were then and stronger  than ever. 🙂

(I have to add for anyone who read a post earlier this week, that my skin is no longer like sand paper, just more wrinkled and more characterful 😉 )

Lovely story Presto.

4 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’ve read some of the Seven Sisters books.

I’m up to about 4 or 5.

I normally read one on a cruise, but as I haven’t cruised for a while I haven’t progressed.

I will definitely read until the end though....... is Pa Salt really dead.... 

I binge read them all last year and now waiting for the last one to be published.  I loved the one about Bergen but my favourite was the very first one - Rio. 

• Like 2

It’s lovely hearing about people meeting in their teens and still together decades afterwards. All of my friends who were married that young have long since parted. I married at 27 and was a very different person then to the girl I was at 18 and I know that my earlier relationships would never have worked long term.  My OH and I are very different people and we’re both very independent with lots of separate friends and interests but we do have some common ones too of course. I’m so glad that I talked him into cruising!

Edited by Ardennais
  • Like 10

15 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

I binge read them all last year and now waiting for the last one to be published.  I loved the one about Bergen but my favourite was the very first one - Rio. 

I like the different locations . Some are familiar like Bergen, so you can easily picture it in your mind. But I’ve also learned a lot about other unfamiliar places 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I like the different locations . Some are familiar like Bergen, so you can easily picture it in your mind. But I’ve also learned a lot about other unfamiliar places 

Yes, I agree. The one I least liked featured Australia and I wasn’t very keen on that sister either. 

8 hours ago, Ardennais said:

It’s lovely hearing about people meeting in their teens and still together decades afterwards. All of my friends who were married that young have long since parted. I married at 27 and was a very different person then to the girl I was at 18 and I know that my earlier relationships would never have worked long term.  My OH and I are very different people and we’re both very independent with lots of separate friends and interests but we do have some common ones too of course. I’m so glad that I talked him into cruising!

I think that age is irrelevant, if there is enough love it will work.  My husband and I met when we were 15 so have been together for 52 years but didn't marry until we were 27 and have been married for 40 years last November.  I think it helped is that our upbringings were very similar. When our parents first met it was strange because we found that they knew each other, our fathers had gone to school together and our mothers had trained as nurses together.  My sister was 18 when she married a boy that she had only known for 7 months, my parents weren't happy about it but she was determined and they have now been married for 47 years.

• Like 7

Good morning ,it's a bit grey this morning with the odd shower knocking around

6.c at the moment but tipping it to reach double figures later around 11.c, Not 

that I'm going anywhere ,Just staying inside, which helps our NHS :classic_love:

Last night I was watching the Mars landing ,amazing how we can control something

so far away , so much we can learn .Did you know  I would be only 30% as heavy on

Mars as I am right now...That means I am not overweight , I just live on the wrong planet.:classic_unsure:

They think they could even find water up there on mars but doubt they will find alcohol,

which means no pubs or Mars Bars on Mars :classic_smile:

Any way back on earth ,Take care ,keep safe & have a good day everyone .:classic_smile:

• Like 9
  • Haha 1