P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

9 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

Graham it's hard to believe now but Junction 32 was once the site of a coal mine, I worked at the Power Station nearby.

I have passed the 3 big chimneys at Ferrybridge many times over the years while driving to sales calls.

Our Football ground at Sunderland was built on the site of Monkwearmouth colliery.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

It seems that the south east corner is much wetter than average this year .

I hadn’t heard about the death of Lucinda Riley. What a terrible shame. I noticed that the seventh book in the series, The Missing Sister., has just been published. I also saw that the series doesn’t end there. There’s another book, Atlas, after that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SarahHben said:

It’s certainly an interesting story. There was a tv series recently called The Terror which was loosely based on his last expedition but it was largely fantasy genre and I couldn’t really get into it. Might try again one day 😊

Have you read Michael Palin’s book Erebus which covers the history of the ship and its fateful journey to find the North West Passage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning Everyone and Happy Saturday.

What fabulous photos we've had this week. I have so enjoyed seeing all the elephants, the restaurants, the food on plates, and of course Graham and Pauline single- handedly keeping the economy going! I still can't work out how G&P aren't built like brick outhouses - you must have a great metabolism guy

Busy week as usual for me these past 5 days but all good. I didn't have to remove anyone from the premises, didn't get any complaints from patients who aren't happy because they can't get a vaccine (they can) and most importantly, North Central London CCG has established a referral service for Long Covid patients of which there are many. 

I am already preparing myself for tonight's feast of football (she says hopefully). My England shirt is washed and ready, and the flags are hanging out of the windows - she lies!

Oh, one thing to mention: some months ago we were having a books and authors discussion and some of us said how much we liked the Lucinda Riley Seven Sisters series. So I was very sad to hear that Lucinda Riley passed away in June at the very young age of 55. RIP Lucinda.

It's raining heavily here at the moment and Teddy is pretending he doesn't need to go out! Have a good day everyone. Be well and safe. Best wishes as always. Jane.Xx

PS. Sue, enjoy your annual leave.

Thanks Jane.

We mostly eat fruit,cereal,chicken and vegetables at home and  treat ourselves to different meals when we go out.

Graham.

• Like 1

Good morning I hope everyone is good this morning :classic_smile: The folks on Britannia will

be as they pass Lands End before cruising up the west coast of Cornwall. Some old 

to cruising and some new to cruising . Some will be eager to book the next cruise and

can't wait . It's fine to be enthusiastic about sailing... Just don't go overboard :classic_unsure: It's great

thinking back to your first cruise ,I was nervous about meeting new people on a cruise...
... until I realised, we are all in the same boat. Not a boat though it's a ship, those little 

orange things dangling over the side of the ships are boats !:classic_smile:  There is so much you can

do as well, I once took a Spanish language course on a cruise ship and I got lost at si :classic_ohmy:

Some people will scurry around the ship filming it which is nice but the people who use selfie

sticks on cruise ships  really need to have a good, long look at themselves.:classic_wink:  I hope the new

holiday app works well, much better than carrying one of those pager's about .The last time

me and the Mrs  went to the ships restaurant .The Waiter said, I am sorry but we are so busy

tonight. Would you mind waiting for a bit? I said no problem. He said "well take these drinks

up to table 10 for me please .":classic_smile: On dry land everyone seems busy as well ,I only have to

look at all the photo's posted on here of your travels and exploits and very nice they are too.

Ships are to be soon up to 50% and soon to be full again I'm sure ..Even I seem to be getting 

busier with things to do and my nephews who are in the building trade are fitting new skirting

boards for us today .Very kind of them to fit us in between doing a full weeks work . :classic_love:

I have posted almost every morning for quite a while now to lift us all with a bit of brightness 

and fun but as from today I may not post every morning as I have other things to do  at the

moment . I hope you enjoyed  the posts as much as I enjoyed doing them but I will do a

morning post again at some point . Always remember a joke should be like a skirt, long

enough to cover the subject ,but short enough to keep it interesting. Thank you :classic_smile:

Stay safe and be happy :classic_love:

• Like 19
  • Haha 4

23 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

It seems that the south east corner is much wetter than average this year .

I hadn’t heard about the death of Lucinda Riley. What a terrible shame. I noticed that the seventh book in the series, The Missing Sister., has just been published. I also saw that the series doesn’t end there. There’s another book, Atlas, after that.

Atlas is the Pa Salt story Dermotsgirl. I don't know if it was finished though. I'm halfway through 'The Missing Sister' and, as ever, it's un-put-downable.  Jane.x

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks Jane.

We mostly eat fruit,cereal,chicken and vegetables at home and  treat ourselves to different meals when we go out.

Graham.

And you really enjoy life Graham. Good on you both. Jane.x

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kalos said:

Good morning I hope everyone is good this morning :classic_smile: The folks on Britannia will

be as they pass Lands End before cruising up the west coast of Cornwall. Some old 

to cruising and some new to cruising . Some will be eager to book the next cruise and

can't wait . It's fine to be enthusiastic about sailing... Just don't go overboard :classic_unsure: It's great

thinking back to your first cruise ,I was nervous about meeting new people on a cruise...
... until I realised, we are all in the same boat. Not a boat though it's a ship, those little 

orange things dangling over the side of the ships are boats !:classic_smile:  There is so much you can

do as well, I once took a Spanish language course on a cruise ship and I got lost at si :classic_ohmy:

Some people will scurry around the ship filming it which is nice but the people who use selfie

sticks on cruise ships  really need to have a good, long look at themselves.:classic_wink:  I hope the new

holiday app works well, much better than carrying one of those pager's about .The last time

me and the Mrs  went to the ships restaurant .The Waiter said, I am sorry but we are so busy

tonight. Would you mind waiting for a bit? I said no problem. He said "well take these drinks

up to table 10 for me please .":classic_smile: On dry land everyone seems busy as well ,I only have to

look at all the photo's posted on here of your travels and exploits and very nice they are too.

Ships are to be soon up to 50% and soon to be full again I'm sure ..Even I seem to be getting 

busier with things to do and my nephews who are in the building trade are fitting new skirting

boards for us today .Very kind of them to fit us in between doing a full weeks work . :classic_love:

I have posted almost every morning for quite a while now to lift us all with a bit of brightness 

and fun but as from today I may not post every morning as I have other things to do  at the

moment . I hope you enjoyed  the posts as much as I enjoyed doing them but I will do a

morning post again at some point . Always remember a joke should be like a skirt, long

enough to cover the subject ,but short enough to keep it interesting. Thank you :classic_smile:

Your morning post is always a pick me up and a good laugh Kalos.

Take care with whatever you have to do mate and know we are all wishing you all the best.

Sincerely.

Graham.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, kalos said:

Thanks for all your fun posts of late Kalos. They've been a treat and a good way to start the day - my 'go to' every morning. Thanks also for letting us know you're dropping out for a while - now we won't worry about you. Be well. Jane.xxx

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Have you read Michael Palin’s book Erebus which covers the history of the ship and its fateful journey to find the North West Passage.

I haven’t read it but my husband has. He’s done quite a lot of research on JF and found quite a few local links too.

When we saw the statue yesterday someone had put a sticker on the plinth saying ‘murderer’ we think that it was probably someone assuming all statues are of people linked to the slave trade without actually finding out the truth first 😏

23 minutes ago, kalos said:

I’ll miss your daily morning funnies Kalos. Take care

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Atlas is the Pa Salt story Dermotsgirl. I don't know if it was finished though. I'm halfway through 'The Missing Sister' and, as ever, it's un-put-downable.  Jane.x

Sad to hear that Lucinda has passed away, I had no idea. I read ‘The Missing Sister’ when it came out and enjoyed it very much. But I was rather hoping that everything would have been resolved in this book and was taken aback when I got to the end. I wonder how far she got with Atlas? 

23 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I am just jealous Graham, I wish my Pauline was active enough to do half your gallivanting about. 

I'm sorry your Pauline cannot be as active as she would like John.

Some days my hip and knee arthritis  restricts me but we like to go out.

Edited by grapau27

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Thank you for the smiles Kalos. 

You have kept a lot of chins up over a difficult period. 

I'm sure you won't be able to resist popping in with a few funnies now and then to keep us smiling. 

Take care my friend, 

Andy 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Thank you for all your 'funnies' Kalos.It has been lovely to start each day with a smile.I do hope that you are ok and that you will still post occasionally.Take Care

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Your posts have cheered up my mornings considerably. Thank you Kalos.

Take care of yourself and I’m sure we all look forward to hearing from you occasionally.

Gill x

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

I haven’t read it but my husband has. He’s done quite a lot of research on JF and found quite a few local links too.

When we saw the statue yesterday someone had put a sticker on the plinth saying ‘murderer’ we think that it was probably someone assuming all statues are of people linked to the slave trade without actually finding out the truth first 😏

Some folk think they are clever doing stuff like that. Just ignorant.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Sad to hear that Lucinda has passed away, I had no idea. I read ‘The Missing Sister’ when it came out and enjoyed it very much. But I was rather hoping that everything would have been resolved in this book and was taken aback when I got to the end. I wonder how far she got with Atlas? 

Not sure Ardennais. According to her publishers, Atlas was/ maybe is, due for publication "next Autumn". Apparently the family, who are obviously in a state of deep grief,  will make an announcement next month sometime as to Lucinda's future books. Jane.x

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I have  just received  the attach virtual medal from the person who organises our shifts at the vaccination site .  Apparently it is "Thank you day" on Sunday so I would just like to say thank you to everyone who has offered support and advice to anyone else during the awful times that we have all had to endure and to pass the medal on to you.

facebook-profile.jpg

Thank you Josy and everyone else who volunteered or took part in the vaccine trials we couldn’t have got to where we are now without you ❤️

• Like 6

Interestingly, the hotel wasn’t servicing rooms at all. We had to place used towels in a plastic bag outside the room and ask for any extra toiletries/tea/coffee/milk/bottled water etc. Everything was then outside our room when we returned. Not really a problem, but it’s amazing how much rubbish accumulates so we began leaving that outside too. Things like newspapers, remains of fruit, wrappers etc. The only nuisance was having to wash mugs and spoons! 

• Like 2