Just off the Disney Wonder WBPC

gometros

We just got home Friday night from two weeks on the Disney Wonder and I can tell you I never felt so safe as when I was on the ship. Captain Henry, CD Ashley Long and ACD Mike Gibbons went above and beyond to make sure all passengers (and crew) were kept safe. When we boarded in NOLA, they did not allow anybody on board who had traveled to the infected countries in the previous two weeks and took our temperatures. There were sanitizers everywhere and servers at the entrance to Cabanas making sure everybody washed.  We had a medical emergency that forced us to turn back to Grand Cayman, meaning we would only stop at Cartegena with enough time to drop off and take on entertainment. But, when we got to Cartagena, we were not allowed to dock, meaning that Voiceplay and Jon Armstrong, the two entertainers that were supposed to disembark, couldn't and John Charles and other entertainment for the second week could not get on. The crew and cast rose to the occasion, creating alternate entertainment for us, from a cabaret type show one night to a crew talent show. The entertainment that couldn't leave, filled in with extra shows.  Leslie Iwerks, filmmaker and daughter of Don Iwerks and granddaughter of Ub Iwerks , gave extra presentations. Once we hit the Panama Canal, things really got locked down, with no guest allowed to self serve at the buffet, drink station or Eye Scream soft serve.  Those area were cordoned off, with servers standing and serving from inside the restricted area. Once through the canal, the Captain made an announcement that a decision was made not to stop at the last two ports, Cabo San Lucas and Porto Vallarta and head straight to San Diego. We arrived a day early, where guests were given the choice of disembarking a day early or staying on until Friday. We chose to stay on until Friday, since we had already changed our flight when we heard Disneyland had been closed. Lucky we did, since disembarkation was only from 12pm to 2:30pm on Thursday, so we would never have made our flight. As people left the ship on Thursday, Captain Henry was standing in the atrium thanking them all for sailing with Disney. 

Bottom line, this is why we cruise Disney.  They took care of us, ensured our well-being and went overboard in adjusting to the unfortunate curve balls that were thrown their way.

• Like 2

We were on the Wonder when she repositioned from San Juan to NOLA, and the cruise after that one. So many things have changed since early to mid-February.  One thing has not changed, and that is the strong, caring leadership on the Disney Wonder starting with Captain Henry who is just first rate.  I appreciate you sharing the actions and attitude of DCL on the Wonder as she made her WBPC journey to a San Diego.  I am heartened and encouraged by your report, and it reinforces why we still cruise with DCL.  Our next cruise is theoretically in June on the Magic and I have no expectations this cruise will occur, but trust DCL will do what is right.  Thank you and take care.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, ano said:

That article is so filled with incorrect information, it's absurd to be even considered journalism. Whatever happened post cruise, it is not in any way DCL's fault. As I previously stated, they did everything in their power to keep us safe. If a passenger exhibited symptoms and did not go to medical, it's on them.

On 4/8/2020 at 11:24 AM, gometros said:

That article is so filled with incorrect information, it's absurd to be even considered journalism. Whatever happened post cruise, it is not in any way DCL's fault. As I previously stated, they did everything in their power to keep us safe. If a passenger exhibited symptoms and did not go to medical, it's on them.

I agree, but consider the source of the article, the site is run by a lawyer who's firm specializes in suing cruise lines, much of the info is "reported" or does not contain factually verified information, most is second hand or hearsay info, it's only meant to stir panic and worry among crew and passengers, to drum up business for his law firm. That's pretty blatant about how it's worded. I wouldn't consider worthy journalism in any stretch of the imagination. 

2 hours ago, BartmanLA said:

I agree, but consider the source of the article, the site is run by a lawyer who's firm specializes in suing cruise lines, much of the info is "reported" or does not contain factually verified information, most is second hand or hearsay info, it's only meant to stir panic and worry among crew and passengers, to drum up business for his law firm. That's pretty blatant about how it's worded. I wouldn't consider worthy journalism in any stretch of the imagination. 

Well, here you go - direct from the CDC:  

The Wonder reported four crew members who have tested positive for COVID-19. Two of the four are now hospitalized, the two others are isolated on the ship; an additional three former passengers (from the last voyage who disembarked) are also positive. 

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/No-Sail-Order-Cruise-Ships_Extension_4-9-20-encrypted.pdf

Don't think you can question the source on this one . . . 

5 hours ago, MarLieb said:

Well, here you go - direct from the CDC:  

The Wonder reported four crew members who have tested positive for COVID-19. Two of the four are now hospitalized, the two others are isolated on the ship; an additional three former passengers (from the last voyage who disembarked) are also positive. 

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/No-Sail-Order-Cruise-Ships_Extension_4-9-20-encrypted.pdf

Don't think you can question the source on this one . . . 

I saw that, and again the original article on "cruiselawnews" said over 35 had tested positive... so that was what I was adressing, the claims that article made, I didn't dispute that there were people that tested positive. Again I was responding to the fact that the article was alarmist and meant to panic people. That's all. Hoping everyone involved on the Wonder recover and are able to return to their home and families. 

14 hours ago, BartmanLA said:

I saw that, and again the original article on "cruiselawnews" said over 35 had tested positive... so that was what I was adressing, the claims that article made, I didn't dispute that there were people that tested positive. Again I was responding to the fact that the article was alarmist and meant to panic people. That's all. Hoping everyone involved on the Wonder recover and are able to return to their home and families. 

Bartman is correct. we're not disputing the fact that there were some confirmed cases aboard the Wonder, but a lot of the facts surrounding the where and the when are either not factual or based on assumptions.

• Like 1