WS cruises for Canadian

dandee2

Good day all,

In my opinion, many countries will have a hard time accepting tourist from abroad for at least a year (and I'm generous). Is it about time Lawmaker change the maritime laws temporarily to permit cruise ship to start a cruises without going to a foreign port? How about a cruise for Eastern Canada, the Pacific, etc for canadian? Nobody want to be stuck again abroad. How about the same for american- a cruise visiting only american port? Just thinking out loud.

I would love to see some Pacific Coastal or Alaskan cruises that don't go to Canada. Almost 30% of adult Americans have a criminal record that can prevent them from visiting Canada. Thats a  lot of cruisers that are precluded from a large number of cruises. 

I think using " criminal records " is a loaded expression, the FBI states that expression also that includes traffic tickets as well other misdemeanors. Be careful in this day and age with loaded language.  It is "   Criminal  conviction  " with the Canadians and it does not happen all the time.  Happy Sailing when we get back to it and stay well. 

56 minutes ago, Strenz said:

I think using " criminal records " is a loaded expression, the FBI states that expression also that includes traffic tickets as well other misdemeanors. Be careful in this day and age with loaded language.  It is "   Criminal  conviction  " with the Canadians and it does not happen all the time. 

Do you consider drunk driving convictions as criminal convictions? Probably not. According to the Canadian government website, drunk driving will stop you for being allowed in Canada, since it's a felony in Canada. 17% of Americans have a drunk driving conviction. 

Canada is of course allowed to make whatever laws they want, my complaint was about the cruise lines and the stupid American law.

I was only concerned with language. We do not have to load language in these times. 
Dandee: Twice we have cruised the North Coast of Quebec once on the Nordic Express and the other time with Bella de Gaganees.  It is an incredible  beautiful coast line full if fascinating culture, marvelous people, exquisite food culture, extraordinary nature and scenic geography. They are the only non WS cruises we have taken. We  loved every second. Amazing to us how many Eastern Americans do not venture north because Quebec is so fabulous. My husband is French Canadian and I so love it up there but winters sadly too cold. I think WS could easily go beyond and to the smaller unique places,  Natashquan comes to mind. 
Hope all is well up north, future Happy Sailing and stay well.

There is also the Gulf Coast of the US. Calm waters and some very lovely and interesting ports.  I often dream of seeing a Windstar trip going under the Skyway Bridge. New Orleans-Tampa- Naples-Key West. 

On 3/23/2020 at 1:10 AM, patty1955 said:

I would love to see some Pacific Coastal or Alaskan cruises that don't go to Canada. Almost 30% of adult Americans have a criminal record that can prevent them from visiting Canada. Thats a  lot of cruisers that are precluded from a large number of cruises. 

That seems like an extremely high number, particularly if you take out the people who have no desire to cruise, can't afford to cruise, or are incarcerated for so long that their datapoint is irrelevant to the set as a whole.

On 3/23/2020 at 11:44 AM, patty1955 said:

Do you consider drunk driving convictions as criminal convictions? Probably not. According to the Canadian government website, drunk driving will stop you for being allowed in Canada, since it's a felony in Canada. 17% of Americans have a drunk driving conviction. 

Canada is of course allowed to make whatever laws they want, my complaint was about the cruise lines and the stupid American law.

Actually in the US, drunk driving is a criminal offense, as opposed to going 72 in a 65 which is simply a violation and not considered a crime.

You also need to quantify your statement about the percentage of Americans with drunk driving convictions.  It should be 17% of adults who drive.  There are tens of millions of Americans who aren't old enough to have a license, and tens of millions who have never driven as they are either too poor to own a vehicle or live in an urban area where a vehicle is a financial liability.  I have numerous friends who live in major metro areas who don't have a license and have never driven anything faster than a paddleboat.

One more thing, there are (legal) ways to enter Canada with convictions for drunk driving and drugs.  They require the intervention of an attorney and posting a performance bond.  I know numerous people who have taken this route--usually for work, but a couple for pleasure.