Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

7 hours ago, rakkor said:

I've had a pretty miserable Xmas and New Year, having been stuck in Kings College Hospital with a shattered pelvis and broken clavicle since Dec 10th.

I hit a water filled pot-hole on my commute to work on the Friday morning, and was thrown off my bicycle breaking my pelvis in 5 places. To compound it all there are no visitors allowed because of the Omicron wave and I've a really poor phone signal making communication with Jane really difficult.

No sign of getting out yet, here's hoping it doesn't affect Jane's QG cruise in Feb to Lisbon.

What an awful thing to happen to you. I hope you are well on the mend and are able to return home in the not too distant future.

Living in Cambridge, aka cycle city, we have often worried about the accidents that can so easily happen to cyclists on the potholed roads. They are bad enough in a car. They are lethal to cyclists.

I hope you are back cruising soon, and Jane gets her cruise in Feb.

All the best to you for your recovery.

How are you doing today @rakkor ?

First day back at work for me today and the there was still some light in the sky when I left this afternoon so that's a good sign. After some mild weather the temperature has dropped quite a lot but there's no snow forecast for us yet.

I might be getting discharged tonight, two weeks after getting my pelvis nailed back together. It's all a bit worrying as I'm not at all mobile at the moment, and don't expect to be so for 4 weeks minimum. (Non-weight bearing for 6 to 8 weeks). Time will tell.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bigmike911 said:

Queen Mary 2 is currently hours from docking in Southampton after her very sad and confused voyage. I wonder where she will go this time? Certainly not back to NYC. Does anyone know. 

QM2 was supposed to be doing a 4-night Southampton-Hamburg-Southampton cruise on January 10-14, 2022. But that voyage was canceled on Thursday. She will now be in Southampton during those days. Southampton VTS is showing QM2 will be at the City Terminal from 06:15 on January 10 to 18:00 on January 14.

As of now, her scheduled 28-night Caribbean cruise, round trip from Southampton, departing January 14 is still on. That cruise is via Madeira and Tenerife with no calls in the US. Perhaps it was prescient of Cunard to have scheduled that itinerary that way. Her next scheduled call in New York is February 22.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

How was your Viking cruise @bluemarble ?

We had a wonderful time on the Viking Orion despite challenges imposed by COVID which necessitated several ports being dropped from our itinerary. As promised, I'll post a summary of my Viking experience from the perspective of an inveterate Cunard rower when time permits.

• Like 3

I look forward to your posting, Blue Marble.  We love the transatlantic on the QM2, but have also decided to give Viking a try (booked for a year tomorrow, Barcelona to Tilbury; we are rather risk adverse). 

I always enjoy your postings, and find them informative and objective.

A Very Happy New Year!

Karen  

We just got negative Day 2 tests after leaving ill fated QM2 Xmas cruise where we did not get Covid 

If only Cunard were not so tight with info we might fathom what went wrong 

Virtually all passengers were triple jabbed but which vaccine might be more pertinant question 

40% of staff went down we understand and i know all staff only had 2 jabs but which one ? 

To a point i think a few passengers i noticed go into Kings court paying poor attention to hygeine may not have helped and would certainly have spread Norwalk but we opted for Dining Room 

I hope everyone has had a good week, we've had some lovely sunny days but I think the weather is changing for the weekend.

Mr HH is going back to work tomorrow for the first time since the end of November.

We're having some of restrictions lifted over the next 2 weeks, hopefully they'll stay lifted this time.🤞

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

At 3 pm USCentral time (9 pm UK time) Queen Mary 2 is passing the Isle of Wight, on her way to Funchal and on to the Caribbean. Bon Voyage and good health to all aboard on this voyage. 

QM2's originally planned call to Funchal (on January 18) is being replaced with a call to Lisbon a day earlier on January 17 instead. And word is her call to Castries on January 28 has been canceled as well.

just catching up with everything.

Rakkor, sorry to read about your accident, hope you heal quickly.

HH - condolences on your mother-in-law, a sad time.

I'm currently confined to the house with Covid! Felt off-colour last Tuesday & Weds but tested negative (I work part time for Blackpool libraries so test regularly) then tested positive on Thursday. I'm double-jabbed & boosted. I'm assuming it's Omicron as it's so transmissable. It does feel like a cold but more achy and I'm very tired, slept over 9 hours last night. Hopefully I'll be out and about again mid-week. 

I would have spent some time looking at excursions for our Alaska-FL cruise in July, but can't find them at the moment. Still nice to dream though. 

5 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Thank you @elmsliebev, hope you're feeling better soon. A very long time ago I had a Saturday job at Cleveleys library.

Really! Small world. Blackpool is a unitary authority now so our libraries are no longer part of Lancashire, but we go along to Cleveleys often to the Family Bakery on Victoria Road for the best steak pies! 

• Like 1

Hi from East Lancashire.

I hope you make a speedy recovery @elmsliebev I was in Blackpool on Sunday getting a bit of fresh air.

I had a bit of an issue with my car just after New Year, the battery decided died so I had to replace it. Unfortunately, it took three days to get someone out to fit a new one. Thankfully, I was able to borrow a car to get to work.

This has got me thinking it's time to change car as mine is now 6 years old. Unfortunately, I can't replace like for like as Ford no longer make the C-Max. Trouble is I don't know what I want next.

• Like 1

Hope @elmsliebev and @rakkor are both recovering.

Mr HH and his brother are emptying their Mother's house. His brother's approach is to throw almost everything away and Mr HH keeps unthrowing it and bringing random stuff home.

It looks as if I won't be going on QM2 this July

so I need to transfer to next June and find another holiday for this year.

Hope everyone is doing OK. 

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

Hope @elmsliebev and @rakkor are both recovering.

Mr HH and his brother are emptying their Mother's house. His brother's approach is to throw almost everything away and Mr HH keeps unthrowing it and bringing random stuff home.

It looks as if I won't be going on QM2 this July

so I need to transfer to next June and find another holiday for this year.

Hope everyone is doing OK. 

There have been so many times I wish we had a sad face emoji in our choices. It is so hard to go through all of the belongings of someone you love and have to make decisions of what to keep and what not. I’m sorry you won’t get your time in sun on the Med. this summer. Hang in there.