Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

Funny - I was thinking about that cake this week, and you, for that matter.  I'm planning to make it again!  It was really, really good.  

Your 2021 cakes are gorgeous.  As usual.

Happy holidays, everyone -

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I guess this means Bon Voyage, have a wonderful time.

Thanks. We are in Los Angeles (Long Beach) a few days early. Air service is so limited from our local airport, it's prudent to allow plenty of cushion for weather or other delays/cancellations especially around the holidays.

Our Viking cruise actually sails from San Pedro on Monday, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to stay at the Long Beach Hyatt Regency with that view of Queen Mary from our room. As a bonus, Carnival Radiance was in port yesterday. Carnival Panorama is in port today.

Today's agenda includes getting our 2-day pre-cruise Covid test at a nearby clinic and then touring the battleship USS Iowa. As residents of Iowa, I figure that's almost an obligatory visit for us. I remember as a young boy marveling at a model of the USS Iowa on display in our state capitol building in Des Moines. Now I'll finally get to see the real thing.

• Like 1

@bluemarble so glad you’re getting to sail again. We visited the Iowa 3 years ago and totally enjoyed it. If you have time, and the interest, go to Pasadena to the Huntington Museum. The library is incredible. Great art. The tea service probably not up to QM2 standards.

11 hours ago, techteach said:

@bluemarble so glad you’re getting to sail again. We visited the Iowa 3 years ago and totally enjoyed it. If you have time, and the interest, go to Pasadena to the Huntington Museum. The library is incredible. Great art. The tea service probably not up to QM2 standards.

Unfortunately the Tea Room is closed for remodeling at this time, but the Library, the Galleries and the botanical gardens including the Japanese and Chinese are open. The Huntington has one of twelve copies of the Guttenberg Bible know to exist. The First Bible printed. I was a member many years when I lived in Pasadena. 

• Like 1

A quick update from Lancashire.

I had a sore arm for two days after by booster jab but no other side effects.

Today, I went to a Christmas concert by the Accrington Pipe band and the Baxenden Concert Band. A lovely way to get into the Christmas mood. Only four days to work this week as we have been given Christmas Eve off.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Thank you both

I am sorry to hear of Mr H.H.'s mother's passing. A difficult thing to occur at the Holidays. I hope Mr. H.H. will be able to recall many happy memories of his Mother as you quietly celebrate this Christmas.

• Like 1

Host Hattie... very sorry to hear about your loss... when people you love pass away around the holidays it can be poignant.

May everyone on this board have a beautiful and meaningful holiday... and a happy new year.

I do miss planning for my own Cunard travel very much... but hearing from this group of well-seasoned travelers and adventurers has made these strange times a bit more bearable. I'll keep hoping the world will right itself and we will be on a beautiful voyage down the line.

Take care of yourselves and your loved ones.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone, we're here for another couple of days and then home for Christmas.

Some restrictions have already been announced in Wales but nothing that will effect us yet. We don't have any plans to be out celebrating over Christmas. We used to go round to his brother's for a glass of champagne on Christmas morning but I can't see that happening this year.

Thanks @Camgirl, we've had more restrictions announced today but the funeral isn't until January 11th so things may change again before then. I hope everyone's Christmas preparations are going well.

My grocery delivery is due tomorrow, hopefully they'll be a Beef Wellington for Christmas lunch.

In the meantime I'm watching Kiss me Kate, one of my favourite films.

• Like 2

I finished work on Thursday and don’t switch my laptop back on until 4 January, so it is a real treat to have so much time off. My other half & I went to visit my aunt & her husband in Essex on Sunday and yesterday I made a return visit for my annual meet-up with my best friend. We all did lateral flow tests beforehand to ensure we could be confident that no one was infectious and in danger of spoiling anyone’s Christmas. 

Today I woke to a cold and frosty morning.  Such days seem increasingly rare so I took advantage of the fine winter weather to get out into my garden and do some tidying up & general pottering. It was really wonderful to get out in the fresh air and a friendly robin obviously thought the same, popping down to say hello.  

Tomorrow we’re off to battle the crowds in Waitrose to pick up our turkey and do the Christmas food shop. 

D504A5DE-F51C-4B91-B4B3-2A66E9B2C892.jpeg

• Like 3

Almost ready for Christmas here. The butler has polished the silver, the under footman has washed the dishes and the cook has everything ready for a four course Christmas dinner. Unfortunately for me I am butler, under footman and cook. 😄

I am cooking for four this year as a friend of my mother's is joining us. She would normally be in the US with her daughter for Christmas but for obvious reasons she is staying at home in the UK. 

• Like 1

Just the two of this year as usual, we definitely won't be going to my brother in law's for Christmas morning drinks as his eldest son has Covid 😱.

The important things arrived on our shopping delivery and I'll open a bottle of something festive soon.

When I started this thread I didn't expect to be still posting at Christmas 2020, nevermind a year later !

Thanks for your company everyone and have a lovely Christmas.

• Like 4