Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

5 hours ago, NE John said:

Here’s the link for trip: https://www.cunard.com/en-us/find-a-cruise/Q420/Q420?categoryCode=I_I&cruiseCode=Q420&rateCode=KG5&typeCode=I

I like 10 day itinerary as it’s a lot of effort to get from the east coast to Vancouver for just a seven day cruise. 

Oooo you get to go to Haines. I’ve never been there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly we had Carmel euthanised yesterday morning.

She'd suffered various respiratory problems from end of July on top of her long term treatment for heart and kidney condition. She stopped eating last week and her vet thinks her kidneys failed.

Her last photo taken Friday evening. She seemed reasonably happy for Ursel to have most of her bed.

IMG_20231020_203730052.thumb.jpg.0d7d043b35948cbd37aeeaeac4ad49a9.jpg

28 minutes ago, D&N said:

She'd suffered various respiratory problems from end of July on top of her long term treatment for heart and kidney condition. She stopped eating last week and her vet thinks her kidneys failed.

Her last photo taken Friday evening. She seemed reasonably happy for Ursel to have most of her bed.

Hugs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, D&N said:

Sad to hear. Beautiful cats.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, D&N said:

So sorry for your loss. 
We know only too well how upsetting it is when we have to say goodbye and help our 4 legged friends across the rainbow bridge. 
Our thoughts are with you during this difficult time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all those comments.

I wouldn't want anyone to think we are without feelings. Carmel was the 10th cat we've lost since early 1991. I got the first two as kittens in 1976. My wife first met them in 1986. We buried them and another six (2 we had as kittens and 4 adult rescues) before we left Scotland. Our apartment here has shared gardens so the vet needs to arrange cremation.

We miss every one of them and their individual characters. But we're realistic enough to appreciate that they have a limited lifespan. We would never be without cats, my family always had them when I was growing up. Hazel's heart clot last year was the only one that took us by surprise. For the others including Carmel, we knew it was coming and it was a case of deciding when was the best time in terms of balancing quality of life with possible pain and discomfort.

Moving forward; we have found a new companion for Ursel. The challenge is how and when we can organise transport from nearly 500 miles away!

I think Ursel will appreciate her. She seemed to like her "Auntie" Carmel but would have preferred that she would have rolled about the floor with her. Carmel hadn't been fit for that sort of activity for a while.

At present it looks like we need to wait nearly three weeks until I can bring her back on a flight.

For now Ursel insists that we play fetch and retrieve with her (like a dog, a first for any cat we've had) and provide a lap to sleep on as required.

• Like 7

Our friends just moved to a newly redone Dock loft building right in front of the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. They can walk to the QM2 and off they go! Views from their balcony. An MSC ship was docked here yesterday. 

IMG_3856.jpeg

IMG_3858.jpeg

IMG_3857.jpeg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, D&N said:

Thanks for all those comments.

I wouldn't want anyone to think we are without feelings. Carmel was the 10th cat we've lost since early 1991. I got the first two as kittens in 1976. My wife first met them in 1986. We buried them and another six (2 we had as kittens and 4 adult rescues) before we left Scotland. Our apartment here has shared gardens so the vet needs to arrange cremation.

We miss every one of them and their individual characters. But we're realistic enough to appreciate that they have a limited lifespan. We would never be without cats, my family always had them when I was growing up. Hazel's heart clot last year was the only one that took us by surprise. For the others including Carmel, we knew it was coming and it was a case of deciding when was the best time in terms of balancing quality of life with possible pain and discomfort.

Moving forward; we have found a new companion for Ursel. The challenge is how and when we can organise transport from nearly 500 miles away!

I think Ursel will appreciate her. She seemed to like her "Auntie" Carmel but would have preferred that she would have rolled about the floor with her. Carmel hadn't been fit for that sort of activity for a while.

At present it looks like we need to wait nearly three weeks until I can bring her back on a flight.

For now Ursel insists that we play fetch and retrieve with her (like a dog, a first for any cat we've had) and provide a lap to sleep on as required.

No cat parent could ever think of you as being without feelings. Most of our cats moved on between the ages of twelve and seventeen, and for several we made the same decision as did you. And yes, we miss every one of them, and their individual characters—which are quite distinct!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, NE John said:

Our friends just moved to a newly redone Dock loft building right in front of the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. They can walk to the QM2 and off they go! Views from their balcony. An MSC ship was docked here yesterday. 

IMG_3856.jpeg

IMG_3858.jpeg

IMG_3857.jpeg

I spoke with some residents of these loft condos and hinted to them that they can literally “walk” to England from their home, so close to the terminal. 
These were younger couples and I explained what a TA was all about and they had a high interest and were especially excited about the Gala Night/dressing up part of being onboard. 
 I’ll expect my commission check from Cunard for my marketing efforts…

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 10/24/2023 at 5:26 AM, D&N said:

I have been away for a few days, and was sorry to read today of the loss of your precious animal. Over the years several cats and a few dogs have come into my life to love and be loved and to go on to their next voyage. Each one has been missed, and now Charlie our black rescue cat fills our lives with joy and happiness. We will treasure him as long as he is with us. Again, my sympathy for your loss. Mike. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Colin_Cameron said:

It's that time of year again. Today I baked the first six of eighteen cakes, to be assembled into three Christmas cakes.

I have to thank @Kynance for the suggestion, albeit three years ago, of Santa in his sleigh full of gifts being pulled by reindeer.

Do please share a photo of the finished cakes - I’d love to see how they turn out! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

It's that time of year again. Today I baked the first six of eighteen cakes, to be assembled into three Christmas cakes.

I have to thank @Kynance for the suggestion, albeit three years ago, of Santa in his sleigh full of gifts being pulled by reindeer.

We will want pictures of course! What type of cake?