Summer 2020 Cruises

RemPuck

Final payment for my cruise is due tomorrow. I think I'm going to cancel instead. With the uncertainty on when it will be possible/safe to travel, I'm finding that I can't get into the mind set to make the accompanying travel plans (flights, hotels, etc.). 

There is a similar itinerary in July. Windstar is doing no solo supplement on all 2020 cruises so I may keep an eye out to see if that or something else farther out goes on sale. 

Looks like Palermo's shipyards will continue to be closed until at least April 13. When can Windstar possibly get the Star Breeze completed and sailed to Vancouver for the Alaska summer cruise season? I am doubtful for a 6/30 Vancouver departure.

https://telenord.it/speranza-proroga-fino-al-13-aprile-delle-misure-di-limitazione-di-spostamento-e-di-attivita

The Port of San Diego has just closed to cruise ships indefinitely except fuel/supplies but nobody allowed off. We had the Celebrity Eclipse and Disney Wonder port this week (still here) ending their longer voyages. Both had cases come back positive after pax debarked. Who knows...and I think it was mentioned earlier but with a combination of ports closing and shipyard delays, summer cruises up the west coast and to Alaska will be a challenge.

Cruises will be a challenge worldwide.  Hoping that they will all be in business again soon but think it will take a long time for the fear of being stuck at sea to go away. We have two ships off the coast of Florida that cannot offload passengers in any port and have dead bodies onboard.  It certainly gives us pause about going anywhere anytime soon.

• Like 1

Well, the decision was made for us. We received an email from Windstar confirming that the West Coast and Alaska Cruises for summer 2020 have all been cancelled. The Star Breeze will start its post-stretch voyages in the Mediterranean for August and September.

They are offering 125% FCC for all money paid. We only have a deposit down so will likely take the FCC. We need to sail by December 31 2021. They are clearly stating that there’s no coverage for non-Windstar expenses. Refunds are also offered.

Disappointed to get here but it’s not completely shocking. I’m definitely glad we didn’t have to make final payments.

Stay safe everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

An interesting addendum....

When we booked our trip in August 2019, we initially included the Denali "cruise tour" at the advice of our TA.  She recommended that we add the cruise-tour at the start so that we could take our time and figure out if we wanted/could do the pre-cruise portion independently.  During the fall, I did my own research and created my own itinerary.  In January, I formally cancelled the pre-cruise portion via Windstar and asked that any additional deposit I'd paid for the cruise tour just be added to my overall account.

At the same time, I pre-booked three Windstar excursions: Zodiac rides on each of the 3 glacier days on the itinerary.  From what I'd read of the 2019 season, these were often over booked and we really wanted to do them.  As such, I paid over $1300 for the three excursions.

Now with the trip being cancelled, my FCC is based on "all monies paid" to Windstar.  This includes the additional deposit for the original cruise tour as well as the three excursions.  My FCC is nearly the cost of a single full fare on the cruise!

At this point, we're rolling this forward and do hope to do the trip in 2021.  I've not yet figured out what I may be out with flight costs; even with waived fees, I will not be able to roll my 2020 tickets to 2021 given the airline restrictions.  Windstar is very clear that they are not covering any non-Windstar costs.  We hadn't taken insurance (and at this point, the cost of the insurance would have been beyond what we may be out).

Will Windstar still be around in summer 2021?

1 hour ago, RemPuck said:

An interesting addendum....

When we booked our trip in August 2019, we initially included the Denali "cruise tour" at the advice of our TA.  She recommended that we add the cruise-tour at the start so that we could take our time and figure out if we wanted/could do the pre-cruise portion independently.  During the fall, I did my own research and created my own itinerary.  In January, I formally cancelled the pre-cruise portion via Windstar and asked that any additional deposit I'd paid for the cruise tour just be added to my overall account.

At the same time, I pre-booked three Windstar excursions: Zodiac rides on each of the 3 glacier days on the itinerary.  From what I'd read of the 2019 season, these were often over booked and we really wanted to do them.  As such, I paid over $1300 for the three excursions.

Now with the trip being cancelled, my FCC is based on "all monies paid" to Windstar.  This includes the additional deposit for the original cruise tour as well as the three excursions.  My FCC is nearly the cost of a single full fare on the cruise!

At this point, we're rolling this forward and do hope to do the trip in 2021.  I've not yet figured out what I may be out with flight costs; even with waived fees, I will not be able to roll my 2020 tickets to 2021 given the airline restrictions.  Windstar is very clear that they are not covering any non-Windstar costs.  We hadn't taken insurance (and at this point, the cost of the insurance would have been beyond what we may be out).

I sure hope so.  We are booked for Alaska the summer of 2021.

3 hours ago, ridethetide said:

I sure hope so.  We are booked for Alaska the summer of 2021.

4 hours ago, RemPuck said:

I also wish to see Windstar still around.

And I must say I am less concerned.  If Windstar was just Windstar, this all might be harder to live through.  But Windstar is part of the Xanterra Travel Collection; and Xanterra is part of The Anschutz Corporation.  Anschutz is one of the world's largest privately help business organizations.  I suspect this has not been a good year for the Anschutz family's holdings; but I think they can weather this.  I just hope they still enjoy owning Windstar, as much as most of us enjoy sailing with them.

• Like 2