Any news from the Amsterdam?

mame42

2 hours ago, bcummin said:

I would guess that he would wait until his crew has safely left the ship to go home.

Barbara

I would bet that he would leave as soon as his replacement boards the ship and authorities allow him to.

On 5/16/2020 at 7:28 PM, SeaDog-46 said:

Bob - Labuan in Brunei Bay is a dedicated official layup area in Malaysia.

There are layup companies there that act as agents & suppliers.

Crew changes through the local airport.

Onboard generators to run dehumidifiers for internal spaces if required.

Latitude is 5N & therefore outside the typhoon area.

Would Captain Jonathan’s relief be supplied by HAL or from one of the relief companies? How about other essential staff?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

I wonder if Captain Jonathan is off the ship now, no news lately..

I don’t think so. His relief, Jereon Schuchmann was walking in the rain from the photos I saw yesterday. The crew are still onboard. The test results are back, but it sounds like someone alphabetized all crew from all the ships in the bay into one long list. They need a paper that they says they are okay to exit the ship. Philip Stolte was suppose to depart the Amsterdam on the 21st. That would be sometime today. Will be interesting to see if he actually can depart and get on the plane for Amsterdam.

1 hour ago, Storylady said:

I don’t think so. His relief, Jereon Schuchmann was walking in the rain from the photos I saw yesterday. The crew are still onboard. The test results are back, but it sounds like someone alphabetized all crew from all the ships in the bay into one long list. They need a paper that they says they are okay to exit the ship. Philip Stolte was suppose to depart the Amsterdam on the 21st. That would be sometime today. Will be interesting to see if he actually can depart and get on the plane for Amsterdam.

Ports are like some Politians I could name.  Walking as slow as possible.

CNN just did a little blurb on crew still left on ships around the world.  The Amsterdam was mentioned briefly.  A couple (either American or Canadian from their accent) was working as Future Cruise Consultants were still on the ship.  They mentioned that they are not being paid.  I hope the interview was a few days ago and they indeed were able to get off the ship. 

8 hours ago, Storylady said:

Philip just posted on Facebook that he is going home.

After 8 months it is time to go home, i am not so good in saying goodbye, i crye like a little baby, half of the Philipino crew is out of QT hopefully the rest will follow soon, looks like most of the crew on board will leave soon, probaly within a week or two, now it is time to go back to the real world, will be weird.” By Philip Stolte 

Edited by Storylady
  • Like 3

Philip Stolte, Restaurants Operation Manager on the Amsterdam is finally flying home. He posted this message while flying.

i am in the air 😃 on my way to Doha with Qatar airlines, super service, super fast wifi for 10 dollars.” By Philip.

As for the Filipino crew, they are still on board, but it is getting close. One of the Dining  Room Wine Stewards, Russell, has posted that he has his certificate and is no longer in quarantine.

Edited by Storylady
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Storylady said:

Philip Stolte, Restaurants Operation Manager on the Amsterdam is finally flying home. He posted this message while flying.

i am in the air 😃 on my way to Doha with Qatar airlines, super service, super fast wifi for 10 dollars.” By Philip.

As for the Filipino crew, they are still on board, but it is getting close. One of the Dining Wine Stewards, Russell, has posted that he has his certificate and is no longer in quarantine.

Thanks so much for keeping us posted. It is a difficult, but interesting situation. We wish them well.

• Like 1

Joanne and Michael Gardener (Future Cruise Consultants) have left the ship and are on their way home.  Prior to leaving, Joanne was included in a segment on CNN about cruise ship crew stranded around the world.

Linda R.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Russell, our wine steward on the Amsterdam, just posted this you-tube video of the Amsterdam crew thanking Holland America. There is a short clip by the Captain with words of encouragement to the crew. Plus at the end there are photos of some of the Filipino crew with a sign saying Salamat HAL. I recognized Teresa, Josephine, Russell, our hairdresser and several others. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Storylady said:

Russell, our wine steward on the Amsterdam, just posted this you-tube video of the Amsterdam crew thanking Holland America. There is a short clip by the Captain with words of encouragement to the crew. Plus at the end there are photos of some of the Filipino crew with a sign saying Salamat HAL. I recognized Teresa, Josephine, Russell, our hairdresser and several others. 

This was great.  God Bless those who have worked so hard for us over the years  when we were at sea with them.

• Like 2

Marinetraffic.com shows Amsterdam out to sea again, probably just blowing out the carburetor and dumping treated water or whatever. Eurodam, Carnival Splendor and Sun Princess are also out, plenty of cruise ships still anchored in Manila Bay. It would be nice to hear from the captain again. 

Thanks for the video.  Brings a tear to my eye!  I think people should stop complaining about not having received their refunds and be grateful that HAL is being a good employer and working so hard to get everyone home!

My father worked for Nestle's all of his life.  I sometimes wondered why, but after my parents died and I read all their papers I realized his loyalty lay in the fact that during the war, when we were interned by the Japanese in China, Nestles paid for my mother's and my repatriation to Canada when Canada billed my mother, and they paid my father his salary (and life insurance) throughout the time he was in the POW camp, half to my mother and half to a fund for him to get food, etc., then paid for his way to Canada at the end of the war, and then sent us back to China.  I would hope that the HAL crew and staff will feel the same way about their employer!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Storylady said:

Thank you for sharing this. It is touching and an excellent tribute to the HAL attitude toward staff and crew.

I hope they all get home safely....and soon. This whole crew repatriation issue is incredible in so many ways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Thanks for the video.  Brings a tear to my eye!  I think people should stop complaining about not having received their refunds and be grateful that HAL is being a good employer and working so hard to get everyone home!

Sorry, but I think you are virtue signaling. HAL is responsible for their employees not me, I want my refund, there is no way that I should be great full for what HAL maybe doing with their staff. There are many people who need their refund. If you want to shed tears over the situation that is fine, but stop lecturing me about being ungrateful and accusing me of being a complainer.

9 minutes ago, billbunger said:
2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Sorry, but I think you are virtue signaling. HAL is responsible for their employees not me, I want my refund, there is no way that I should be great full for what HAL maybe doing with their staff. There are many people who need their refund. If you want to shed tears over the situation that is fine, but stop lecturing me about being ungrateful and accusing me of being a complainer.

Dude, why would you post something like this? Especially on this thread?

I could find nothing to indicate that Ann directed her comments to you or your behavior. But I am pretty sure that your post proves her point!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

Dude, why would you post something like this? Especially on this thread?

I could find nothing to indicate that Ann directed her comments to you or your behavior. But I am pretty sure that your post proves her point!

I am pretty sure you did not understand my post. You may want to re-read it. She made a very broad statement regarding people complaining and being ungrateful, she did not mention individuals.

I do not share her opinion and stated mine. I was not rude nor disrespectful in my post, I just pointed out that I thought her opinion was virtue signaling. 

Have a good weekend.

I had to look up "virtue signalling".  I apologize if you think my comments were too pointed.  I guess it is a matter of priorities.  We are owed money, too, and I have posted on some of the "refund" threads....  But I am very relieved that HAL is taking their responsibility as employer seriously, as I do  feel that must come first.  I realize there are some who really need their refund at this time, we are lucky in that we feel very cared for in Canada and can wait - although I'm beginning to wonder after I went to the grocery store this morning!  Prices seem to go up on a regular basis.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 5/20/2020 at 8:51 AM, Sir PMP said:

I wonder if Captain Jonathan is off the ship now, no news lately..

His crew, and wife K1, gave him a surprise retirement party in the Main Stage but I don't believe he's off as of yet

2020-05-14_0009.jpg

2020-05-14_0010.jpg

2020-05-14_0011.jpg

2020-05-14_0012.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, billbunger said:

Awful comment. I hope to H--L you get your refund....and soon.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

His crew, and wife K1, gave him a surprise retirement party in the Main Stage but I don't believe he's off as of yet

2020-05-14_0009.jpg

2020-05-14_0010.jpg

2020-05-14_0011.jpg

2020-05-14_0012.jpg

We 

Captain Jonathan is still onboard as his replacement is still in the Philippines, Captain Jereon Schuchmann. But Philip Stolte, Operations manager made it home to Amsterdam. He posted yesterday from Doha and from Schiphol Airport that “the Eagle Has Landed.” 

Just now, Storylady said:

Captain Jonathan is still onboard as his replacement is still in the Philippines, Captain Jereon Schuchmann. But Philip Stolte, Operations manager made it home to Amsterdam. He posted yesterday from Doha and from Schiphol Airport that “the Eagle Has Landed.” 

Thanks Sharon; Yes, I did read Philip's FB account; Happy for him to make it home after a mere 8 months onboard A'dam