Are deposits refundable?

kh81828587

I tried to find the answer to this but I'm not having any luck. We are booked on an Alaskan cruise on Aug. 21, 2020. Our final payment isn't due until May 23.  If we decide to just go ahead and cancel the cruise before making final payment, is our $100 deposit we made credited back to our credit card? We also booked and paid for an excursion already. Would that be refunded also? I just don't know if we should wait and see, or cancel now. I don't want future cruise credit, if we cancel I'd want the money paid back, and it seems like if you cancel after final payment it's only given in cruise credit? I'm so confused on how this is all being handled. Can anyone help me out? Thanks 

It's only cancellation fees that are given as FCC. If you're before final payment, you should get everything back as a refund. After FP, there is a scale for what is refund and what is FCC.

Examole, we cancelled our Alaskan cruise just over 58 days out so we are entitled to 100% refunded and the $20 deposit as  FCC. If we had waited another day or two, it would have been 50/50.

Remember that refunds are taking 60 days to process and the money will be credited to the CC or whatever method of payment you used when you booked.

6 minutes ago, Guindalf said:

It's only cancellation fees that are given as FCC. If you're before final payment, you should get everything back as a refund. After FP, there is a scale for what is refund and what is FCC.

Examole, we cancelled our Alaskan cruise just over 58 days out so we are entitled to 100% refunded and the $20 deposit as  FCC. If we had waited another day or two, it would have been 50/50.

Remember that refunds are taking 60 days to process and the money will be credited to the CC or whatever method of payment you used when you booked.

Thank you.  How do you figure out what the cancellation fees are, just in case we decide to wait. I'm so sad over all this. We've never even thought of canceling a cruise before, so I have no idea what to do.

Assuming you booked with a refundable deposit then the deposit amount is refunded in full if you cancel before final payment date. If you cancel after the final payment date then the cancellation fees are according to the chart shown in the passage contract. You can find this chart in your cruise personlizer by selecting itinerary and then the passage contract which is within the text at the top of the page. Currently according to the March 20th notice you can cancel up to 30 days prior to your cruise or cruisetour. If you cancel at that time you should receive 50% of you payment + port charges returned and 50% as a future cruise credit. I believe there may be some additional OBC but not certain. Regarding the excursion that money will be refunded. Most excursions can be cancelled just a few days prior to the scheduled date. A few, such as helicopter flights, have longer cancellation times. Check your cruise personlizer for exact details.

https://www.princess.com/legal/passage_contract/

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/temporary-cancellation-policy.html

I cancelled my 25thJuly cruise from UK today I had paid a £300 non refundable  deposit. However because of the Corona virus Princess are allowing my deposit to be refunded as FCC on my Princess account so at least it wont be lost. So defiantly worth asking if your deposit can be transferred or given as FCC.   

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, brunoseas said:

I cancelled my 25thJuly cruise from UK today I had paid a £300 non refundable  deposit. However because of the Corona virus Princess are allowing my deposit to be refunded as FCC on my Princess account so at least it wont be lost. So defiantly worth asking if your deposit can be transferred or given as FCC.   

Thanks for the info.  I have a cruise booked for July 22nd and will probably cancel because who knows if this virus will still be present.  Final payment is due next month so I will wait until then.  My deposit is non refundable, so I will ask about FCC, although I am waiting for $4000 to be posted there for a cruise canceled last month.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brunoseas said:

Thanks for this.

We paid £150 as a future cruise deposit aboard Emerald three years ago and have applied it to Enchanted Princess sailing 1st August 2020. Am I right to think we will get the £150 back as FCC but lose the $200 OBC if we cancel before the final payment due date on 26 April 2020.

• Like 1

I think you are right about that. I have not had my  $250 OBC  from booking transferred. I think they look at that as an out of date promotion. (However you could always ask I did nt as others had previously reported that it was not transferable but might be worth asking they can only say no). If you want Further OBC I think you need to get it / rebook when there is a new promotion . Having said that I am not a TA only my experience .I though I would lose all my non refundable deposit but glad to have had it refunded in FFC at least . Hope that helps. 

We went ahead and canceled our Aug cruise to Alaska. We are being refunded all of our deposit and excursions that were already paid for. She did say it could take up to 60 days to receive the money, but that's ok.  Hopefully sometime next year or so we can plan another one.