Reservation as Non refundable, Change Date?? May 17

I have a non refundable deposit on a 6/7/20 cruise.  I was told if I change to another cruise, I would be charged $100 per person change fee.  The reason is because we are past the final booking date.  I am waiting for my FCC to come in to apply to this cruise (that I am hedging will be cancelled).  I cancelled on March 10th.  Unfortunately, RCCL keeps asking me for more money since I am technically in a penalty phase.  I now have put up 50% of the cruise balance and have been 'promised' I will get the difference (between my 50% and the FCC) back via my credit card when the FCC is applied.  I have until 4/7 to get this straightened out.  I really just want all my money back at this point.

I am booked on the same sailing.

Being so close to the sailing date, you CANNOT just move the reservation to another sailing. You can cancel now, pay another deposit for the new sailing and wait for the 100% future cruise credit and apply it to the balance. Or you can wait until they cancel the sailing, and choose between 125% FCC or a refund, which my TA said could take up to 60 days. Since we are past the pay in full date, no matter what you will have to pay a new deposit out of pocket, the deposits do not transfer. 

If your new sailing is cheaper and you are using FCC,  then the excess credit will not be refunded, it will be issued as another credit to be used on yet another sailing.

Hope this helps.

7 minutes ago, Wailea75 said:

Being so close to the sailing date, you CANNOT just move the reservation to another sailing. You can cancel now, pay another deposit for the new sailing and wait for the 100% future cruise credit and apply it to the balance. Or you can wait until they cancel the sailing, and choose between 125% FCC or a refund, which my TA said could take up to 60 days. Since we are past the pay in full date, no matter what you will have to pay a new deposit out of pocket, the deposits do not transfer. 

If your new sailing is cheaper and you are using FCC,  then the excess credit will not be refunded, it will be issued as another credit to be used on yet another sailing.

Hope this helps.

Correct, since you are after the final payment date you have to cancel under the Cruise With Confidence Policy and you would get a 100% refund.

Also Royal will now allow you to book a new cruise with no deposit due until May 31.  This only applies to cruises whose fanal payment date would be after May 31.

Hmmm.  So if a cruise gets canceled or you cancel your cruise through the cruise with confidence you have to pay more cash out of pocket as a deposit and can’t use your fcc as the deposit?  That’s just wrong if that’s true.  I will not give Royal more money besides the difference of cruise fare if there is one for the switched cruise.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dominicr said:

So if a cruise gets canceled or you cancel your cruise through the cruise with confidence you have to pay more cash out of pocket as a deposit and can’t use your fcc as the deposit?

You can place a hold (without any cash down) on a sailing and hope your FCC comes in by 5/31 to apply.

2 hours ago, Wailea75 said:

Hope this helps.

Have you paid the balance in cash?  Have you received any FCC yet?
I have until 4/7/20 to figure out my next move. I have a feeling RCCL will ask me for more money at that point to be at 75 - 100% of the cost of the cruise; at that point, it will be Day #29 that I have been waiting for the FCC to arrive. I really just want our money back.  

2 hours ago, Mrsberri0909 said:

Have you paid the balance in cash?  Have you received any FCC yet?
I have until 4/7/20 to figure out my next move. I have a feeling RCCL will ask me for more money at that point to be at 75 - 100% of the cost of the cruise; at that point, it will be Day #29 that I have been waiting for the FCC to arrive. I really just want our money back.  

It’s a gamble. Depending on where your cruise leaves from, you may have a good chance of RC cancelling. I had a cruise booked on June 8th, leaving from Singapore. I feel pretty confident it will get cancelled because Singapore has pretty closed borders right now and will probably keep that in place for a while, but I cancelled it myself anyway rather than waiting it out (I have decided I wouldn’t go either way). My deposit was fully refundable though, so I wasn’t dealing with the same risk as you are, having to decide if you want to put more and more of your money on the line in hopes you’ll get cash back instead of a credit. 

I’d be careful if I were you about missing payment deadlines because this may disqualify you from getting refunded later. Can’t they technically say that your cruise is cancelled due to non-payment and keep your money?

If I were in your situation, I’d probably wait it out. You’re too deep in and waited too long to cancel. Continue paying the payments on time, and hope it gets cancelled. Choosing not to pay will not work in your favor, and cancelling yourself is an automatic loss of money. If not, I’d take the credit and move to a later date. I wouldn’t get on a ship in June, regardless of where it sails from or where it’s going.

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 1