What if I cancel a future booked cruise?

douginct

Would appreciate some information from those more experienced than me.  I am holding off calling our travel agent as they are likely swamped with cancellations and rebookings.

While on our cruise in Oct 2019, we booked a future cruise for Dec. 2020.  We paid the $1000 deposit and received shipboard credit on the current cruise of $200.  If we cancel the Dec. 2020 cruise before the final payment date in Aug 2020, I believe we would be entitled to a refund of $600.  This would be the $1000 deposit less the $100 per person cancellation fee and also less the $200 shipboard credit which we spent on the previous cruise.  Is this correct?  Note if we cancel we would not be rebooking a new cruise at this time - we would wait for some future point in time when we might be comfortable cruising again. So I am hoping for a credit back to my credit card - not a credit from Regent for future use.

Thank you for you assistance.

3 hours ago, douginct said:

Would appreciate some information from those more experienced than me.  I am holding off calling our travel agent as they are likely swamped with cancellations and rebookings.

While on our cruise in Oct 2019, we booked a future cruise for Dec. 2020.  We paid the $1000 deposit and received shipboard credit on the current cruise of $200.  If we cancel the Dec. 2020 cruise before the final payment date in Aug 2020, I believe we would be entitled to a refund of $600.  This would be the $1000 deposit less the $100 per person cancellation fee and also less the $200 shipboard credit which we spent on the previous cruise.  Is this correct?  Note if we cancel we would not be rebooking a new cruise at this time - we would wait for some future point in time when we might be comfortable cruising again. So I am hoping for a credit back to my credit card - not a credit from Regent for future use.

Thank you for you assistance.

Yep, you're correct. I just canceled an onboard booking and they returned $600

24 minutes ago, cruiseluv said:

Yep, you're correct. I just canceled an onboard booking and they returned $600

Thank you.  As final payment is not due until August, I will wait a bit before making a decision.

22 hours ago, Belfast Taxman said:

That answer does not of course apply to many non-USA bookings. For avoidance of doubt, I am sure it is correct in relation to US bookings.

You can say that again, in the UK we loose our entire deposit!!! 

We cancelled our Nov. cruise and was told by our travel agent we would get our deposit back less $100  per person cancellation fee also LESS our air deviation fee which we had paid.  I don't think it is fair to charge us an air deviation fee for a flight that is so far in the future.   Whatever we get back I will be happy with and anxiously look forward to cruising Regent again sometime hopefully in the not too distant future.  Mary

23 hours ago, runnerswife said:

We cancelled our Nov. cruise and was told by our travel agent we would get our deposit back less $100  per person cancellation fee also LESS our air deviation fee which we had paid.  I don't think it is fair to charge us an air deviation fee for a flight that is so far in the future.   Whatever we get back I will be happy with and anxiously look forward to cruising Regent again sometime hopefully in the not too distant future.  Mary

Regent has always let us know that air deviation fees are non-refundable. When you make the decision to deviate then the fee is gone the minute you accept the flights and pay the fee. Don't know why you think it is unfair. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1982CruzStart said:

Regent has always let us know that air deviation fees are non-refundable. When you make the decision to deviate then the fee is gone the minute you accept the flights and pay the fee. Don't know why you think it is unfair. 

Ok, I made the decision to deviate on a November flight.  That's fine with me that Regent charges the air

deviation, and I accept that.  I think I do have the right to think it's not fair. Stay healthy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have a cruise booked 16th July, Barcelona to Venice and the final payment date is 17th April, we are cancelling. I have contacted Regent UK who say that the deposit, of over £1000, can be carried over as future cruise credit rather than be forfeited under their normal terms and conditions. 

All I can say is “Well done Regent”. I must admit that their response took less than half a day to arrive, so great kudos to them in these difficult times. 

Looking forward to being on the water again. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Guerncruising said:

We have a cruise booked 16th July, Barcelona to Venice and the final payment date is 17th April, we are cancelling. I have contacted Regent UK who say that the deposit, of over £1000, can be carried over as future cruise credit rather than be forfeited under their normal terms and conditions. 

All I can say is “Well done Regent”. I must admit that their response took less than half a day to arrive, so great kudos to them in these difficult times. 

Looking forward to being on the water again. 

Excellent news for UK cruisers

We were much harder hit by UK t&c's than those across the pond , if cancelling a booking.

Thank you Regent

Excellent to hear that Regent have done the right thing by you, however this does not apply to all UK booked guests.  My family are booked on the exact same cruise and Regent are basically saying  if we want to cancel we lose our deposit.

23 minutes ago, Ollie21 said:

Excellent to hear that Regent have done the right thing by you, however this does not apply to all UK booked guests.  My family are booked on the exact same cruise and Regent are basically saying  if we want to cancel we lose our deposit.

Oh I’m sorry to hear that. It may be that this is something new. I only contacted them yesterday afternoon and received the reply this morning. I have just received confirmation from my TA, about 10 minutes ago to say that it’s happening. 

Things are constantly being reviewed and I am sure that Regent will try to do their best. 

3 minutes ago, Ollie21 said:

Do you think this decision by RSSC  has anything to do with being over 70 or considered vulnerable?

Sadly I don’t know how this decision has come about, yes I am over 70 (+.5 roughly) but don’t know.

The TA said that he had spoken to them an awaits a confirmatory email or vouchers for the Future cruise credit. The email address which I used to contact them is the ‘contact us’ one at the bottom of their main page. The reply was prompt, given that I’m sure that everyone is busy at RSSC. Good luck. 

4 hours ago, beaujolais said:

Yes you have to be over 70

So if I am understanding the previous posts correctly:

• UK cruisers under 70 will lose their deposit if they cancel before final payment
  • UK cruisers over 70 can convert their deposit to a FCC if they cancel before final payment

What is the logic?

.......... and what happens if one guest is over 70 and their partner is under 70?

Edited by flossie009

Perhaps I am misunderstanding but I thought Regent’s reassurance programme allowed for cancelling up to December in exchange for FCCs.

Another issue is that if you had booked on board you are allowed one change of booking without penalty even after that date.

I stand to be corrected if I have got this wrong!

2 hours ago, Ollie21 said:

And at 20% deposit, it is not a insignificant amount of money to lose in these uncertain times. 

You can say that again  !

We are considering what to do about a December 2020 booking on Voyager.  To cancel will cost us 20% of the cruise cost of £27,500 = £5,500 ($7,000). A lot of money to lose !

The only other option is to use the newly introduced Regent Reassurance facility. With this - as long as you have paid in full - you can cancel the cruise without penalty for any cruise up to end of 2020, and carry the value through until end of 2022 as a Future Cruise Credit. Do it before 90 days though, because after then you are unable to have the air element included.   

We have also cancelled two Silversea cruises this week. Fortunately their cancellation terms are far less severe than Regent UK - just a £130 admin fee with Silversea.