Thoughts on rescheduling August 2020 to April 20201

Hey CC. Hope everyone is doing well out there. We  (me, hubs, and our 4 and 6 year old) are currently are scheduled to do a 9 night cruise on the Adventure in August out of Nj. We live in NJ, so trying to avoid flying.  I am am educator, but work a good chunk of summer.. so basically I am limited to Winter and Spring break, and beginning of August for vacation. Anyway, I'm thinking of rescheduling to the Spring Break cruise to the Bahamas on the Anthem. We have only done Voyager class, so not sure what to expect. The cruise itself will be $1500 cheaper, but also 2 nights less.  We have done same itineraries already, although I like the 9 night one better. I guess I'm just wondering about experiences with younger children on the Anthem - things to do, number of passengers etc.  We love the Adventure and found it to be a good size. My kids will be almost 5 and 7 for the Anthem cruise... I'm trying to figure this out now because our final payment is coming due in a few weeks for the August cruise. I'm wondering if cruises will be back by August, or if it would really be safe yet (especially going out of Bayonne). This is hard for me to consider, because we have had this booked for a year.. just trying to think ahead.  Any advice? I know I have to weigh pros and cons.. any info would be much appreciated. Thank you so much. 

We will not be doing final payment on our August Oasis cruise. I figure if it looks like it is still a go in July, I can always rebook last minute. Lots of cabins still available now.

With mounting complaints of delayed refunds, I am not going to hand over money unless I know 100% the cruise is a go.

We are looking to rebook same cruise next summer.

• Like 1

It would be insane to take children on a cruise this August and risk being on a ship that couldn't dock, getting locked in the rooms under "quarantine", etc etc.

But you won't have to worry about that because no ships will be sailing in August.

If they haven't cancelled the August cruise before your final payment don't send it in.  Get what you can back on your deposit or move it to the one next spring if you can.  There is no point sending them more money for  a cruise that won't sail and letting them hold your money.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RoyalC said:

I'm cancelling my schedule cruise for August, but waiting until near the deadline just in case. I'd also proof my post for a lot of things if you can still edit it. 

I'm confused of the benefit of this.  You would hold your cruise if you expected the price of this cruise to rise or if you expected it to fill up.  I don't know the price you locked in, but I don't see either of those situations happening. 

Now negatives. If RC does file for bankruptcy, then poof, you money is gone. 

If the price goes down, then its a wash, because you would get the better price either way.  

3 hours ago, DeeDee316 said:

Thanks everyone! I am thinking we are going to cancel, but wanted to see other's thoughts. I appreciate you taking the time to answer! 🙂

I would not cancel.  We have 2 cruises booked for the summer, both out of Bayonne.   June 26 5 days to Bermuda and August 30 7 days to Bahamas.  We will wait until RCI cancels  the sailing so we get the 125% FCC.  Both cruises at this time for the same exact weeks for 2021 are higher, so it would cost us more money, but the extra 25% from the FCC would cover the price differential and maybe even score us an upgrade from inside to OV.  The Bermuda cruise on the Adventure will be on the Freedom next year, so it'll  be on a larger ship that has just come out of dry dock. I would  obviously flip your Adventure  cruise to the corresponding Freedom cruise in August of 2021.

As a retired teachers from NJ,  we too faced your dilemma many times.  I would be concerned about August due to the current situation, but would wait for Royal to cancel. Now, about Anthem.  It is going to packed with an over-flow of kids on that Easter Date!  We took our Granddaughter who was 5 at the time on an October cruise on Anthem and were very disappointed with what it had to offer and the crowds even then were over-whelming.  Yes, she did the flying and got to do the bumper cars, once.  When it was a roller skating day, she had to be 8.  She loved "We will Rock You", but she loves Queen.  Shows were not geared toward kids.  This was a Halloween Date and she did dress-up but it was so packed with adults,  we couldn't get into their haunted house. The Adventure Ocean was such a small area and didn't have any of the fun slides at the pools for the kids. 

I know you don't want to fly, but I might re-think and choose another ship.

Edited by SailingSal