Latest foreign office advice

mrbluesea

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Up until which date do you think PandO's cancellation full refund policy should apply then?

Indefinitely of course. The Government have furloughed workers for three months, so that’s a reasonable starting point.

Edited by PRINCESSTHE BEST

Extract of an article by Simon Calder which people may find of interest. Its all a bit up in the air and very unsatisfactory.

"From late April onwards, individual companies will now start instigating “rolling cancellations”: basically saying, “We won’t be running any holidays before this date” – which may be 1 May, 1 June or any other day they choose. Understandably they will be in no hurry to do this, because as soon as they cancel a holiday it triggers the 14-day full refund obligation.

As a result, travellers booked from 17 April onwards may find their holiday company cancels just a few days before departure."

10 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

Indefinitely of course. The Government have furloughed workers for three months, so that’s a reasonable starting point.

That's only to the end of May, so PandO are two weeks short of that. 

Only cancelling up to 16 May seems reasonable to me, unless of course things change.

9 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

That's only to the end of May, so PandO are two weeks short of that. 

Only cancelling up to 16 May seems reasonable to me, unless of course things change.

TUI have now cancelled beach holidays up to and Inc 14 May and cruises 31May. At least I will not have to chase them for a voucher, but if I want a cash refund I can go whistle like many thousand of others. Looks like I will have a nice selection of vouchers. TUI, GLOBUS, BA. At least Celebrity gave a refund. As P&O won't cancel the Iona cruise at the end of August we can add a few days in the New Forest first........maybe 🤔

19 minutes ago, zap99 said:

TUI have now cancelled beach holidays up to and Inc 14 May and cruises 31May. At least I will not have to chase them for a voucher, but if I want a cash refund I can go whistle like many thousand of others. Looks like I will have a nice selection of vouchers. TUI, GLOBUS, BA. At least Celebrity gave a refund. As P&O won't cancel the Iona cruise at the end of August we can add a few days in the New Forest first........maybe 🤔

If any holiday company sells to the UK market and THEY cancel the holiday they cannot refuse to give you a full cash refund. They will try to fob you off with vouchers but they are breaking UK law if you ask for a cash refund and they refuse. Just remind them and see what they say but vouchers for a company that could go bump are useless.

11 hours ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

As the FCO advises against all international travel for an indefinite period, why does the P&O cancellation full refund policy only apply until 15 May?

No one paying the full balance now will be covered by travel insurance.

P&O are probably trying to reduce the number of refunds per day,. Having these tranches of cancellations allows them to say 60 days rather than a longer period.  They could also think that it gives the appearance that they are optimistic of restarting sooner rather than later. 

I am waiting for them to cancel our June cruise so that I can add to their woes by asking for a refund rather than FCC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

P&O are probably trying to reduce the number of refunds per day,. Having these tranches of cancellations allows them to say 60 days rather than a longer period.  They could also think that it gives the appearance that they are optimistic of restarting sooner rather than later. 

I am waiting for them to cancel our June cruise so that I can add to their woes by asking for a refund rather than FCC.

I understand what you are saying, but i think to a certain extent P&O are playing this crisis to their own advantage. I have a cruise booked for July. There is no way on earth that the cruise will take place. I am due to pay the balance in excess of £5,000 this month. I'm sure P&O will still accept the money knowing full well that there is virtually no chance of this cruise taking place and it's in breach of current FCO advice. Their intention is to try and persuade you to leave the money with them on the promise of 125% FCC. Inevitably, cruise prices in the next few years will be significantly higher as a result of this crisis and the extra 25% will be eaten up in those higher prices. My travel insurance will be null and void because we are paying this balance against FCO advice. If we cancel, our deposit will be converted to FCC.

A more reasonable situation would be to allow anyone to cancel their cruise and receive a full refund if they so wish, or final balances paid 28 days before travel.

28 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

I understand what you are saying, but i think to a certain extent P&O are playing this crisis to their own advantage. I have a cruise booked for July. There is no way on earth that the cruise will take place. I am due to pay the balance in excess of £5,000 this month. I'm sure P&O will still accept the money knowing full well that there is virtually no chance of this cruise taking place and it's in breach of current FCO advice. Their intention is to try and persuade you to leave the money with them on the promise of 125% FCC. Inevitably, cruise prices in the next few years will be significantly higher as a result of this crisis and the extra 25% will be eaten up in those higher prices. My travel insurance will be null and void because we are paying this balance against FCO advice. If we cancel, our deposit will be converted to FCC.

A more reasonable situation would be to allow anyone to cancel their cruise and receive a full refund if they so wish, or final balances paid 28 days before travel.

If you took out the travel insurance at the time of booking, then that's the contract date and so your travel insurance should cover you for cruising, if it takes place.  But maybe your best best is to cancel and take your deposit as a FCC to use on a future cruise.

9 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If you took out the travel insurance at the time of booking, then that's the contract date and so your travel insurance should cover you for cruising, if it takes place.  But maybe your best best is to cancel and take your deposit as a FCC to use on a future cruise.

Just checked the travel insurance. This is what it says:

If your transport provider or tour operator moves your trip destination or dates due to the outbreak, then we will class your original booking date as your booking date, therefore the exclusion for new trips booked will not apply. You will need to amend your insurance to reflect your new dates and there may be an additional premium due for doing this. If your trip is cancelled and you book a new/alternative trip, then your policy will not cover cancellation relating to Coronavirus. Also remember that the general rules regarding FCO advice and travel restrictions will continue to apply.

7 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

Just checked the travel insurance. This is what it says:

If your transport provider or tour operator moves your trip destination or dates due to the outbreak, then we will class your original booking date as your booking date, therefore the exclusion for new trips booked will not apply. You will need to amend your insurance to reflect your new dates and there may be an additional premium due for doing this. If your trip is cancelled and you book a new/alternative trip, then your policy will not cover cancellation relating to Coronavirus. Also remember that the general rules regarding FCO advice and travel restrictions will continue to apply.

My comments related to the insurance cover for your July cruise only, I agree that once you re-book the situation changes.

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

My comments related to the insurance cover for your July cruise only, I agree that once you re-book the situation changes.

But even if the cruise takes place and FCO advice does not change, we are not covered.

10 hours ago, majortom10 said:

If any holiday company sells to the UK market and THEY cancel the holiday they cannot refuse to give you a full cash refund. They will try to fob you off with vouchers but they are breaking UK law if you ask for a cash refund and they refuse. Just remind them and see what they say but vouchers for a company that could go bump are useless.

You are absolutely 100%correct, but they have your money and you must try and get it back by talking to them. They don't answer the phone,they don't answer emails, they don't give a toss. One day, when this is all over.........they had better jolly well watch out. Stamp your feet,bang head against wall,spit,watch blood pressure bust the machine, they have still got your money.😠😠😠

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I think if the FCO advise remains the same, there is no way P&O could or would be cruising.

That’s my point, so why not reduce the time between paying the balance to say 60 days like Princess Cruises. 90 days in this present crisis is far too long.

I was just going through the embassy list of the countries which are not recommended for a visit.. and its like 99% of countries lol. Only New Zealand has like a yellow marking as not prohibited but not recommended either. Foreign office can only give recomendations and not issue actual limitations. Ive been waiting for some action on their part but all they can do is post news in the newsfeed.. 

3 hours ago, zap99 said:

You are absolutely 100%correct, but they have your money and you must try and get it back by talking to them. They don't answer the phone,they don't answer emails, they don't give a toss. One day, when this is all over.........they had better jolly well watch out. Stamp your feet,bang head against wall,spit,watch blood pressure bust the machine, they have still got your money.😠😠😠

I cannot speak with reference to P&O as my current cruises booked with them are not until May and August 2021. My next cruise in May 2020 is with Cunard and they recently cancelled the cruise and sent me a notification e-mail with my options which one was if I wanted a full cash refund to fill online form via the link and they said that it will be up to 60 days to receive my refund. Whilst I know the current law states refunds should be given in 14 days we are in exceptional times and am happy and expect my refund to be received in full within 60 days. There was no pressure for me to take FCC 125% and I expect Cunard to honour this request.

2 hours ago, Roger88 said:

I was just going through the embassy list of the countries which are not recommended for a visit.. and its like 99% of countries lol. Only New Zealand has like a yellow marking as not prohibited but not recommended either. Foreign office can only give recomendations and not issue actual limitations. Ive been waiting for some action on their part but all they can do is post news in the newsfeed.. 

Sorry, are you talking about the US or the UK ? The UK government has warned against all but essential foreign travel. If you travel whilst the restrictions are in place, your travel insurance is nil and void.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

I cannot speak with reference to P&O as my current cruises booked with them are not until May and August 2021. My next cruise in May 2020 is with Cunard and they recently cancelled the cruise and sent me a notification e-mail with my options which one was if I wanted a full cash refund to fill online form via the link and they said that it will be up to 60 days to receive my refund. Whilst I know the current law states refunds should be given in 14 days we are in exceptional times and am happy and expect my refund to be received in full within 60 days. There was no pressure for me to take FCC 125% and I expect Cunard to honour this request.

Celebrity cancelled our June Alaska cruise a few weeks ago, which was before final balance date. They asked on the email if you wanted FCC or cash. We said cash. Haven't got it yet, but no big rush.

7 hours ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

That’s my point, so why not reduce the time between paying the balance to say 60 days like Princess Cruises. 90 days in this present crisis is far too long.

Your advice to P & O is too sensible for them to take any notice, my suggestion to them was to reduce it to 6 weeks and allow FCCs to be applied to existing bookings, all I got was a thank you for your suggestion.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2020 at 5:52 PM, zap99 said:

As you don't care I won't refer you to the gov.uk guidance tab on covid 19

I only meant that I don't care because I'm now not actually going anywhere.  I went back to the FCO Travel Advice page today and I still only see the words that I copied above.

Is the indefinite word somewhere else - like on Twitter?

55 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Ah it's Simon Calder on Twitter, NOT the Foreign Office website.

As I said previously. gov.uk, not FCO. Foreign office work for the Government, Simon Calder doesn't.🤔

56 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Is the indefinite word somewhere else - like on Twitter?

Look on this link

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advice-novel-coronavirus

Scroll down a bit and you will find this.

The FCO advised British people against all non-essential travel worldwide. This applies for an indefinite period due to unprecedented international border closures and other restrictions. All countries may restrict travel without notice. 

Brian

PS Indefinite in this case means until they decide to change it.