Now for something completely different

@Heidi13 Hi Andy. I thought I would introduce you to my "different" thread. I started this years ago to ask my down under friends for tips about Oz. Over the years it has become a shoot the breeze place for anyone who knows about it, As luck would have it I am fortunate to have found many regulkars and will be visiting a number of them when we finally get down there. I got your message on the other board and tried again to email you and it was again "undeliverable"

I think I may have given the wrong email over there. Please email me at lyle.duck at shaw.ca we look forward to hearing from you. Retirement came a few days early so I'm happily free for any social events.

Cheers, Lyle & Lynn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

@Heidi13 Hi Andy. I thought I would introduce you to my "different" thread. I started this years ago to ask my down under friends for tips about Oz. Over the years it has become a shoot the breeze place for anyone who knows about it, As luck would have it I am fortunate to have found many regulkars and will be visiting a number of them when we finally get down there. I got your message on the other board and tried again to email you and it was again "undeliverable"

I think I may have given the wrong email over there. Please email me at lyle.duck at shaw.ca we look forward to hearing from you. Retirement came a few days early so I'm happily free for any social events.

Cheers, Lyle & Lynn

thanks Lyle - resent to shaw address

So we had a nice visit with Andy @Heidi13 and his wife Judi on Friday. It was nice to see Andy again and to meet Judi (unfortunately she wasn't feeling well last year) Good food, good beer and great conversation. Then yesterday we met Rich and his friend Sue (from Georgia and LA respectively) at their ship and showed them a local's view of our town. That was another great time. We dropped them off back at the Westerdam (the same ship we will be on next year) and bid them fair winds and a trailing sea. They are on a 50+ day voyage to Japan via Alaska with a return via Hawaii. We have certainly enjoyed our visits with CC people whose posts reveal a sence of humour and pleasant nature. We hope to continue to welcome new friends whenever they are in our area.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

So big congratulations to young Australian Oscar Piastri for a very entertaining win Azerbaijan today. I'm thankful that neither Sergio Perez nor Carlos Sainz were injured in their shunt, which was I believe rightly ruled as a "Racing Incident" with no further action. Of course seeing Lando in front of Verstappen makes me happy.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Is that a car racing or a star wars reference ?

Did I use a "Star Wars" reference? Not so much. I saw the original in theatres once when it came out. I'm not big on Sci Fi in General.

As it turns out several of the buildings in Baku are pretty futuristic.

It was quite a race, very entertaining.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

So big congratulations to young Australian Oscar Piastri for a very entertaining win Azerbaijan today. I'm thankful that neither Sergio Perez nor Carlos Sainz were injured in their shunt, which was I believe rightly ruled as a "Racing Incident" with no further action. Of course seeing Lando in front of Verstappen makes me happy.

Another young Aussie is joining the circus next year. Jack Doohan, son of five time 500cc grand prix motorcycle champ Mick Doohan. I just hope the Alpine is a bit more competitive for his rookie season.

• Like 1

Not completely different, but off the beaten track. I am looking at picking a London hotel and think I have narrowed it to a handful of possibilities. Does anyone have a standout location or hotel from past experiences in London & the UK? I am not looking at cheap, quirky, trendy or luxury, but a good location, comfortable with a moderate price. A nice view would be a bonus. We are in via Heathrow and heading out to Southampton after a 6-night stint.

8 hours ago, arxcards said:

Not completely different, but off the beaten track. I am looking at picking a London hotel and think I have narrowed it to a handful of possibilities. Does anyone have a standout location or hotel from past experiences in London & the UK? I am not looking at cheap, quirky, trendy or luxury, but a good location, comfortable with a moderate price. A nice view would be a bonus. We are in via Heathrow and heading out to Southampton after a 6-night stint.

Have a look at the Grange Hotels in Bloomsbury. They are mostly in gorgeous Georgian terraces. I've stayed in a couple of the ones in Bedford Place. They were very comfortable. I liked the location and the two nearest Underground stations are on the Waterloo line which links to Heathrow. I can't remember exactly which of their hotels I stayed in - I think one was the Clarendon. 

• Like 1