3 in 10 cruisers won’t cruise again

Selbourne

18 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Screaming Lord Sutch?  Wasn’t it Napoleon XIV, aka Jerry Samuels?

18 hours ago, pete14 said:

I don’t want to spoil your reminiscences but ‘They’re coming to take me away ha ha’ was not recorded by Screaming Lord Such. It was written and performed by Jerry Samuels under the name of Napoleon XIV. It reached number 4 in UK chart.

Yes you're both right, I stand corrected. Somehow I've always associated that song with Sutch. Maybe it's the lyrics 😂

Avril 

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

The young seem to take the virus lightly.

While walking around our estate and park the young just walk towards us making no attempt to keep the 2 metre social distance.

We are constantly crossing the road or walking on grass to keep over 2 metres social distance from them.

And the most annoying thing is that when this is over,

the people who have religiously adhered to the government's advice will be the one's who are last to ieave lockdown. Youth is definitely wasted on the young. 

Avril 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

the people who have religiously adhered to the government's advice will be the one's who are last to ieave lockdown. Youth is definitely wasted on the young. 

Avril 

We were all young once, Avril........and it’s the younger generations in work who are paying for our pensions and healthcare out of their taxes.  🙂

Harry

7 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

We were all young once, Avril........and it’s the younger generations in work who are paying for our pensions and healthcare out of their taxes.  🙂

Harry

They are therefore doing nothing different than any previous generations, including ours Harry, so let's not make feel them any more special.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

Absolutely agree.

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

They are therefore doing nothing different than any previous generations, including ours Harry, so let's not make feel them any more special.

Actually, they are.  Because of the post war baby boom, and because people now live much longer, the numbers are much larger. And the number paying the taxes is smaller.

Let’s not make the intergenerational divide any greater.  It’s not helpful.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Harry

Hang on there Harry. Why have we been paying our taxes for the last 50+years? and I might add , still are. 

Avril 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Hang on there Harry. Why have we been paying our taxes for the last 50+years? and I might add , still are. 

Avril 

To pay the pensions of the generations that went before you. The government pension scheme is not funded like a private pension. Money going in from NI and taxes goes straight out to pay current pensioners.

Brian 

Just now, BrianI said:

To pay the pensions of the generations that went before you. The government pension scheme is not funded like a private pension. Money going in from NI and taxes goes straight out to pay current pensioners.

Brian 

So we're all paying our fare share. As it should be. 

Avril 

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

It doesn’t work that way, I’m afraid, Avril.  Current state pensions and healthcare costs are paid out of current taxes and always have been.

Think about the taxes we paid in the past, compare that with current costs, and you’ll see why.  What we paid in almost always comes to far less than we’re costing now, and it’s current taxpayers who are footing the bill.  There are fewer of them, more of us, and it’s one of the main reasons the question of care home fees still hasn’t been sorted out.

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Actually, they are.  Because of the post war baby boom, and because people now live much longer, the numbers are much larger. And the number paying the taxes is smaller.

Let’s not make the intergenerational divide any greater.  It’s not helpful.

That's not really special Harry,, it is just the way the system has always been funded. The problem is that the tax revenues, in which I also class NI contributions, now have a far larger call on them, but successive govts have never been prepared to either cap benefits, increase taxes or find an adequate way to fund social care.

7 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

It doesn’t work that way, I’m afraid, Avril.  Current state pensions and healthcare costs are paid out of current taxes and always have been.

Think about the taxes we paid in the past, compare that with current costs, and you’ll see why.  What we paid in almost always comes to far less than we’re costing now, and it’s current taxpayers who are footing the bill.  There are fewer of them, more of us, and it’s one of the main reasons the question of care home fees still hasn’t been sorted out.

I understand stand that Harry and I wasn't having a dig a the younger generation. I know we all contribute to the health care system and pension scheme which I believe, maybe naively,  gives us oldies the same rights  as the young. I respect the youth of this country Harry, but in my experience it's not always reciprocated. This pandemic and lockdown shows how inconsiderate some, and i admit not all, can be. My original post had nothing to do with Ni or pensions, just my opinion on the fact that we who have abided by government guidelines will be the last to leave lockdown. Ooh I do love a good healthy debate 😉

Avril 

This feels good... 

Harry is on my payroll😊

Andy 

• Like 1

I bet most of the baby boomers are still paying income tax. In some cases ( mine ) more than when I was working. So I guess in this debate, I'm paying my own pension. I think I'll ask myself for a raise😁

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I bet most of the baby boomers are still paying income tax. In some cases ( mine ) more than when I was working. So I guess in this debate, I'm paying my own pension. I think I'll ask myself for a raise😁

I’m still paying tax, and so’s the wife. Both baby boomers.  But I know enough about the economics of this to understand that all our contributions won’t cover the cost of our pensions and healthcare. Far too many of us and too few current taxpayers.

There’s a current expression (OK Boomer) which concerns me and should concern anyone in our position dependent on younger people to pay their pensions etc.  Baby boomers have had the voting power for a long time to make politicians listen, hence the big pensions increases. That’s starting to change, and younger people, if they feel unfairly treated, may choose to vote for different policies.

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

My original post had nothing to do with Ni or pensions, just my opinion on the fact that we who have abided by government guidelines will be the last to leave lockdown.

Maybe we'e going to get taxed for being "Locked Down"  hence the talk of all this tax and that's why  Harry's worried :classic_wink::classic_smile:

Looks like Spanish Ports are not going to be open before year end, Spanish Finance Minister indicates that economic reactivation will occur in two phases, phase one being the manufacturing sector. Culture & Tourism are in phase 2 which may not happen until end of 2020. 

https://www.thelocal.es/20200420/when-will-it-be-possible-to-travel-to-spain-again

31 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I’m still paying tax, and so’s the wife. Both baby boomers.  But I know enough about the economics of this to understand that all our contributions won’t cover the cost of our pensions and healthcare. Far too many of us and too few current taxpayers.

There’s a current expression (OK Boomer) which concerns me and should concern anyone in our position dependent on younger people to pay their pensions etc.  Baby boomers have had the voting power for a long time to make politicians listen, hence the big pensions increases. That’s starting to change, and younger people, if they feel unfairly treated, may choose to vote for different policies.

So, if the younger people change their voting habits and vote for a change, the other lot want to increase benefits. If unemployment increases, us oldies with private pensions end up paying more tax. So lock them in and let us spend our ill-gotten cash on travel/restaurants. The extra vat will pay for their trainers etc. Sorted.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, zap99 said:

So, if the younger people change their voting habits and vote for a change, the other lot want to increase benefits. If unemployment increases, us oldies with private pensions end up paying more tax. So lock them in and let us spend our ill-gotten cash on travel/restaurants. The extra vat will pay for their trainers etc. Sorted.

Sorted indeed. Except that Covid is many times more likely to kill the average 70 year old than the average 30 year old.  They’ll be fine, but we won’t, statistically. 

I see today’s Times is mooting the prospect of a lockdown until the autumn of 2021 - that would provoke uproar, and would probably be untenable.

37 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I see today’s Times is mooting the prospect of a lockdown until the autumn of 2021 - that would provoke uproar, and would probably be untenable.

It might be what's needed Harry, but it can't happen, as you say, untenable. 

A call will be made as soon as they can feasibly justify it. 

Sure, restrictions will be in place for quite a while, but things will start moving in the not too distant future. 

Our HR guy reckons another 3 weeks after the current 3 weeks, which will be 9 weeks in total, but we will see. 

Andy 

Got a renewal notice for my Annual Travel Insurance today, in it was he following exclusion, which overs all bases in respect of the virus.

Any claims as a result of Coronavirus, COVID-19, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-COV-2), any mutation of Coronavirus, COVID-19 or SARs-COV-2 or any pandemic or fear or threat of any the above.

Guess that rules out travel until vaccine in place or we decided to risk catching it whilst on a cruise or land holiday outside of U.K.