3 in 10 cruisers won’t cruise again

Selbourne

9 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I’m not talking about criteria for a mortgage application, I’m talking about the cost of property in relation to average earnings. You are disagreeing about a point that I haven’t made! You surely cannot dispute that it is significantly harder for the younger generation to get on the property ladder than it was for us? 

For us:

2 bed maisonette in outer London 1972 - £9500.  Price now - around £350,000.

3 bed semi in outer London 1974 - £14000.  Price now - around £550,000.

We were young then, but what hope of youngsters now of the same age paying these prices?  How do you even begin to finance a £550,000 purchase of a bog-standard 3 bed semi without substantial parental backing?  And some!

Just now, Harry Peterson said:

For us:

We were young then, but what hope of youngsters now of the same age paying these prices?  How do you even begin to finance a £550,000 purchase of a bog-standard 3 bed semi without substantial parental backing?  And some!

London is not representative of the rest of the U.K. Harry, it never was.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Sorted indeed. Except that Covid is many times more likely to kill the average 70 year old than the average 30 year old.  They’ll be fine, but we won’t, statistically. 

I see today’s Times is mooting the prospect of a lockdown until the autumn of 2021 - that would provoke uproar, and would probably be untenable.

It seems that the Times editorial staff really have lost the plot.

10 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

London is not representative of the rest of the U.K. Harry, it never was.

The prices may be higher, but if you exclude certain low cost areas London reflects, at a higher level obviously, the rises that have taken place in many other parts of the country - the parts where people have to live because the jobs are there.  Bristol, for example, the whole of the south-east, Leeds, places covering most of the population.

12 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It seems that the Times editorial staff really have lost the plot.

I'd back their journalism (and they have a good track record of getting the right information because they have good sources) against the likes of the tabloids, who just print whatever lies will sell their papers!

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

The prices may be higher, but if you exclude certain low cost areas London reflects, at a higher level obviously, the rises that have taken place in many other parts of the country - the parts where people have to live because the jobs are there.  Bristol, for example, the whole of the south-east, Leeds, places covering most of the population.

No sorry, the south east is really not representative of the rest of the U.k.

Try looking at prices in Scotland, in places with plenty of jobs. The SE is overheated.

3 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yes I can.  The cost of a property is relative to what all of those paying the mortgage earn. As now young couples both earn the “buying” power is doubled.

Remember thatI I come form a different part of the world to you.

Add to that the fact that the younger generation inherit significantly more and use the bank of mum and dad for deposits which we never had (or at least I didn't).

I genuinely don’t believe that the facts support your argument. It is true that when we were younger only one income was usually taken fully into account with a mortgage application, but both were still earning! Yes, both incomes are taken into account now, but in real terms house prices are many times more than they were back then. I appreciate that house prices vary around the UK, but for your argument to hold water house prices in Scotland would need to be around one quarter of the price elsewhere in the UK and I know that’s not the case. 

I think there is a tendency for some generations to look at others and feel that we had it harder. I believe that my children have it far harder than my wife and I did. They cannot get on the property ladder, will have to work for probably 10 years more than my wife and I had to and, when they do eventually retire, will have nothing like the level of pension provision that many of us enjoy. 

• Like 2

I'd back their journalism (and they have a good track record of getting the right information because they have good sources) against the likes of the tabloids, who just print whatever lies will sell their papers!

I really wasn't questioning their sources Harry, but unless the economy is re-booted before this summer is done, then there is unlikely to be a holiday industry left for us to enjoy, and probably very little surplus income to pay for them anyway.

15 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

No sorry, the south east is really not representative of the rest of the U.k.

Try looking at prices in Scotland, in places with plenty of jobs. The SE is overheated.

The south east is far more representative of the UK than you give it credit for (along with the other cities I mentioned) - it's where most people live!

9 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I really wasn't questioning their sources Harry, but unless the economy is re-booted before this summer is done, then there is unlikely to be a holiday industry left for us to enjoy, and probably very little surplus income to pay for them anyway.

On that I absolutely agree with you.  It's essential, but the price to pay will be paid by those who have to remain locked down for what may be a very long time, and judging by some of the comments here that's not going to be too popular.

24 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

For us:

Move to the North East where you can get fantastic properties at realistic prices.

• Like 1

The south east is far more representative of the UK than you give it credit for (along with the other cities I mentioned) - it's where most people live!

And It is totally irrelevant for those who live in the North of England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

• Like 1

Just now, Harry Peterson said:

I wonder how younger cruisers (the future of the market) might view some of these comments aimed at them.  Hardly welcoming, hardly kind.

Must we really have generations attacking each other like this?  It's not helpful.

Harry you started it or were you just stirring the other? Look back in my comments, I’m really pleased that life is much better for those who come after me.

You were the only one quoting “ok boomer”.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I genuinely don’t believe that the facts support your argument. It is true that when we were younger only one income was usually taken fully into account with a mortgage application, but both were still earning! Yes, both incomes are taken into account now, but in real terms house prices are many times more than they were back then. I appreciate that house prices vary around the UK, but for your argument to hold water house prices in Scotland would need to be around one quarter of the price elsewhere in the UK and I know that’s not the case. 

I think there is a tendency for some generations to look at others and feel that we had it harder. I believe that my children have it far harder than my wife and I did. They cannot get on the property ladder, will have to work for probably 10 years more than my wife and I had to and, when they do eventually retire, will have nothing like the level of pension provision that many of us enjoy. 

Sorry but both were not still earning. Women were dismissed from the NHS and local authorities once married. Female civil servants were given a “dowry” on marriage in lieu of their pension (worth much less than the eventual pension would ever have been) women who were lucky enough to retain their job until they were dismissed once expecting had there tax credits disallowed so have no pension in their own right. It might have been fine for men but women did have it so much worse than later generations. That is documented fact.

I don’t grudge the young any advantages they have now, in fact I applaud it and fought long and hard for the rights many young women now enjoy.

15 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I think you will find it very hard to sell that idea to anyone who lives outside the M25 corridor.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I wonder how younger cruisers (the future of the market) might view some of these comments aimed at them.  Hardly welcoming, hardly kind.

Must we really have generations attacking each other like this?  It's not helpful.

It would be nice if some of the younger cruisers contributed here.

The major difference, that back in time, we were happy to start with a shell, and save and furniture it out in time.

Today they want all mod cons, and they want it at a younger age then we did.

Those that did not go on to higher education left school at 15 and went out to work.

My first mortgage was at age 29, £12500, that after 6 years of marriage. 

We had to move 90 miles away from my family home at the age of 23.

To an area that we knew nothing about or any one there

Work was 90 miles away, which I traveled to daily.

Was during the time of the London bombings, no home phone, no mobiles in those days.

Could be 2-4 hours late home, bombings had been on the news at home.

Had no way of contacting anyone.

The reason for explaining this ,is that the younger generation start work later in life,want everything on their doorstep and want it today!

Have no problem with there aspirations, good luck to them.

• Like 4

I'm 54, so a bit younger than some of you. 

It wasn't easy for us, but we did it. 

My daughters have it all to come but they will find a way. 

One went to uni, one didn't. 

They both work hard to get what they want. 

You cannot refer to all of their generation as snowflakes. 

Are these nurses, doctors, care workers, shop workers etc... snowflakes... Hardly... 

Give our young people some credit, they will do just fine.. 

Andy 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

Are these nurses, doctors, care workers, shop workers etc... snowflakes... Hardly... 

Andy 

Andy, unless I have missed it no one referred to youngsters as snow flakes. The only reference was to “boomers“  by Harry.

Im sure your daughters will do just fine. We all face the challenges of our particular generation.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

Our older generation probably had doubts about us all too.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Andy, unless I have missed it no one referred to youngsters as snow flakes. The only reference was to “boomers“  by Harry.

Im sure your daughters will do just fine. We all face the challenges of our particular generation.

+1 my thoughts too.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Harry you started it or were you just stirring the other? Look back in my comments, I’m really pleased that life is much better for those who come after me.

You were the only one quoting “ok boomer”.

Started what? I've supported the later generations at every point. OK Boomer is a symptom of what happens when generations quarrel.   It's pointless,  it achieves nothing, and older people taking a pop at the people paying their pensions and healthcare costs is particularly illogical. 

Started what? I've supported the later generations at every point. OK Boomer is a symptom of what happens when generations quarrel.   It's pointless,  it achieves nothing, and older people taking a pop at the people paying their pensions and healthcare costs is particularly illogical. 

The tax office told me my 46 years payment of  National Insurance paid/qualified me for a full state pension at 66.

As it was 65 and 60 for women the Exchequer is saving a fortune with the later pension payments.

11 hours ago, grapau27 said:

The young seem to take the virus lightly.

While walking around our estate and park the young just walk towards us making no attempt to keep the 2 metre social distance.

We are constantly crossing the road or walking on grass to keep over 2 metres social distance from them.

7 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

And the most annoying thing is that when this is over,

the people who have religiously adhered to the government's advice will be the one's who are last to ieave lockdown. Youth is definitely wasted on the young. 

Avril 

7 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

We were all young once, Avril........and it’s the younger generations in work who are paying for our pensions and healthcare out of their taxes.  🙂

Harry

Reading the above ,the first two posts show concern over some not all young peoples apathy

over the risk of covid infection .

We come to post number 3 and we suddenly find it's the fault of the older tax payers ,not the virus at all.

Who brought up the pensions  ???  :classic_wacko::classic_unsure:

• Like 2