Royal Caribbean Extends Suspension/Cancellations

DCCruiser57

Just posted this afternoon - I suspect that SS will follow tomorrow.

Royal Caribbean Announces Global Suspension Of Cruising

At Royal Caribbean International, the safety and well-being of our guests and crew are always our top priorities. On March 13th, we made the decision to voluntarily suspend our sailings departing from US ports, and later on March 14th we decided to also suspend operations for the remainder of our sailings worldwide. Then on March 24th, we extended our voluntary suspension until May 11th, 2020. Now, after consulting with our partners at Cruise Lines International Association and in conjunction with the CDC, our global suspension has been extended – all sailings departing on and before June 11th, 2020 will be cancelled.

Here's the link to the full notification.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates

• Thanks 1

Sad, but not unexpected.  The current Covid 19 situation is looking likely to continue through the summer and possibly beyond.  Mrs Banjo and I are booked on two segments of the 2021 World Cruise in January and we are hoping and praying that this situation will have self corrected by then.

I called SS this morning to ask about the RCCL announcement and whether SS would be cancelling.  The rep said that the only SS voyages that have been cancelled are for Alaska. The other voyages are scheduled to start up as listed in the April 16 document - https://www.silversea.com/information-on-itinerary-changes.html

When I pointed out that people can't get to the embarkation ports because airlines have cancelled flights he said SS is aware of that but they can only process so many refunds and FCC's at a time so they are holding off cancelling more voyages until they make headway on the existing backlog. He thought most cruses in late May and early June would be cancelled by late April.

I'm betting SS will cancel the next batch of cruises some time between tomorrow and the end of April. 

2 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Interesting to read in the updated cancellation policy (Apr 16) that now Future Cruise Credits are transferable to family and friends, and can be used partially and applied on more than one new booking.

Also VS sailings......

"EXCLUSIVE DOUBLE VENETIAN SOCIETY CRUISE DAYS: On voyages cancelled by Silversea from March 1, 2020 until June 30, 2020 Venetian Society members will accumulate VS days on the cancelled voyage as well as on the new booked with the FCC"

Notice its only until June 30th.... So the 27 VS days Ive got after that date this year wont get that bonus..... I'll never reach 100 😢 ... which I would have got to next March. But these policies do seem fluid, so who knows. What I do know as that once my first does get cancelled, I will be speaking to SS in respect of the discounts applied as the physical cash refund compared to current cost is vastly different and I dont expect to be disadvantaged having remained a loyal customer.

52 minutes ago, les37b said:

What I do know as that once my first does get cancelled, I will be speaking to SS in respect of the discounts applied as the physical cash refund compared to current cost is vastly different and I dont expect to be disadvantaged having remained a loyal customer.

Good Luck!