Ponant & PG's New Cancellation Policy

Hutchinj

On 4/19/2020 at 1:17 PM, Hutchinj said:

Many CC folks questioned if the recent acquisition of PG by Ponant, was a good thing or not. Read what my TA just posted:

• Even though we had a GREAT time with “Paul Gaugin Cruises” in Tahiti and we still VERY MUCH recommend you take a Cruise there, we now STRONGLY suggest you DON’T sail there with “Paul Gauguin Cruises”!!!!! Unfortunately after we sailed with them, they were bought by “Ponant” (a French based company) and during the “Coronavirus Crisis” we saw their “true colors” and their dis-interest in treating clients & travel agents right! When people wanted to cancel their Cruise due to health concerns (even as long as 4-8 months before their sailing), even though the “terms & conditions” said they’d only lose $100 per person when they booked, Ponant changed the terms and kept ALL of our client’s money… that was $3,000-$4,000 for some people… which was very distressing for people who had no intention to re-do this trip later, who had lost their jobs and needed the money back, etc. We can NOT ethically work with/recommend any Cruiseline who changes agreed upon terms AFTER our clients have booked… it’s not fair to our clients nor to us as agents as we take the brunt of our client’s being upset about this. Again though, we STILL think Tahiti is a GREAT destination and wholeheartedly recommend you Cruise there but NOT with “Paul Gauguin Cruises” if you do so you’re RISKING losing your hard-earned money! 

Keep in mind this is coming from a TA who previously booked a LOT of PG cruises for his clients.

This, in combination with PG change to their cancellation policy (NO REFUNDS whatsoever) sickens me. After two years of planning a true once-in-a-lifetime trip to FP, now I'm wondering if it will ever happen at all. The option of a FCC in lieu of a refund does me little good if health or other issues prevent us from sailing within the FCC timeframe, not to mention it will cost us considerably more. Our (very) expensive trip insurance policy is worthless with its epidemic/pandemic exclusion. And of course, if PG/Ponant goes bankrupt then it's all down the tubes, anyway.

Our PG cruise is not until 4 July so it has not yet been cancelled. Time will tell but I become less optimistic as time goes on and frankly, more than a bit anxious about cruising so soon even if they do open it up in time.

Just starting to read this, but every line it seems for us has changed terms between booking and sailing so TA would  be out of business.  Most will grandfather some things in and others, no. Not condoning what happening here, just saying fairly common.

Now back to reading thread.

On 4/19/2020 at 10:18 PM, daetchief said:

COVID-19 has severely impacted the cruise industry;  and the restaurant industry, and a lot of other industries.   Most businesses that have a plan for their afterlife [continued-life?] are investing in keeping their clientele.  
That isn’t necessarily offering an overnight courier delivery of all the cash they still have on hand, but rather a generous offer that ‘If you allow us to keep your deposit money for a while, we will make it up to you’ in OBC for your cabin when you do cruise, or ‘We will be able to provide you a refund in accordance with the terms you previously agreed to’ but it’ll take us 6 months - after we start sailing again - to have the available assets.  That would be good business - and good customer relations.

Hans Schulte - [past?] CEO of Ritz Carlton Intl once was asked his secret to success.  He said he didn’t see patrons as a $500.00 a night hotel guest or a $100.00 dinner fare.  He said each person who visited Ritz Carlton represented Tens of Thousands of Dollars of lifetime patronage.  “Now, if someone is willing to give you $10,000.00 ($100,000.00), isn’t he/she worth the time it would take to ensure a lifelong relationship?”

NCL looks at you in the $500 per night.  Hans has it right.

DEXDDD  Please look at getting your credit card company involved when PGC won't refund your money. Many folks who did , got full refund, and Ponant will wonder  why credit cards won't do business with them. I contacted my credit card company and they said if Ponant didn't refund my money, they would. However, My TA filed suit against Ponant (we were a charter)and Ponant quickly agreed as 330 cabins were going to file with their CCC all at once.   Good luck..   Early on this thread you see where others did...

• Thanks 1

My credit card company refunded my cruise money with the rider that should PGC dispute it the payment could be withdrawn. Guess what.... PGC have claimed "invalid dispute". My CC has told PGC there is no valid technical reason

for them to dispute the claim and that they are just borrowing time. I'll know the outcome in 10 days.

On 4/20/2020 at 4:24 PM, Emdee said:

While I don't like to be held hostage by a cruiseline it is ultimately only money ... the value you personally ascribe to it. In these very uncertain and scary times we could all be in a worse position.

When it is, “ultimately” $25,000,  it’s a bad enough position, thank you!  There is nothing PG can do, in the way of service or amenities to make up for theft if that magnitude!