NRD payment transfer to RD reservation?

39august

Don;t know if this will be of interest to anyone, but maybe.  It occured to me this morning (I do some of my best thinking before getting out of bed!) that I could transfer a large payment we made in Jan. on an NRD cruise to a different cruise that has the refundable deposit.  Since we booked on board, each of these cruises  have only $100 per person deposit. My thinking on the NRD cruise is that X can't keep more than the $100 pp if/when I have to cancel the NRD cruise.  A couple of weeks ago, I had to cancel an NRD that was paid in full BEFORE final payment due date.  X kept  $250 pp as FCC instead of just keeping $100 pp, which we paid as deposit . Their claim was that the "reduced " deposit for booking on board was a special and we  owed the complete required $250 deposit. Since X had the money, they could do whatever they wanted.  This way, X only has $100 pp to keep on the NRD cruise. 

We were able to transfer a large payment on cruise 2 to cruise 1 because we wanted to upgrade the suite.  Moving the money required that the reservation on cruise 2 be cancelled.  Since cruise 2 was a RD we did not lose anything.  In your case you will probably be required to cancel the NRD cruise in order to move the money.

I think it's worth a try.  I know I commented on your previous posts regarding X treating the entire $250 deposit as FCC.  I hadn't realized that you had paid in full before final payment.  I'm sure their justification was that you had up'ed the deposit to the full deposit at that time.  Still think it was poor form but on the up side they didn't take the $100 penalty as well.

I would definitely get any refundable money off of that reservation ASAP.  If your only option is to transfer it to a RD booking, I would do that.  If they would outright refund that excess payment because you are before PIF, I would do that instead.  

wrk2cruise_ Interesting point about because I had already paid in full, the full $250 deposit had been paid. That does make sense.  If that was so, I wish X had explained it that way to my TA.  No way I am making further payments on any of my booked cruises at this point! 

Not sure if you are saying you wish to transfer the "large January payment" as FCC because it is now after final payment or as cash because it is before final payment.  Either way, it seems like Celebrity has more of your cash than just your $100 pp deposit!  If it is prior to final payment they could possibly keep part of your Jan payment in addition to the deposit. If after FPD, they could keep more than the deposit by reducing the amount of the FCC transferred.

And if you intend to cancel a NRD and transfer FCC to a new RD, then you would have to give them more cash for the deposit since FCC cannot be used to make a deposit.

Best to get your TA to check with Celebrity.

Edited by NantahalaCruiser

TA just sent a confirmation that the payment we made in advance to that NRD cruise has been transfered to the RD cruise instead. Yea! So, if we have to cancel, now X will only get $100 pp as that is all that has been paid so far on that NRD cruise. We have made a habit of paying in advance of final on a cruise or two every month since we book about 5 a year. That practice  has now ended!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 39august said:

TA just sent a confirmation that the payment we made in advance to that NRD cruise has been transfered to the RD cruise instead. Yea! So, if we have to cancel, now X will only get $100 pp as that is all that has been paid so far on that NRD cruise. We have made a habit of paying in advance of final on a cruise or two every month since we book about 5 a year. That practice  has now ended!

Congratulations

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 39august said:

Glad everything worked out OK.  Hope all your booked cruises - no matter what cruiseline - are in 2021 or later.  As more and more months of cruises are cancelled this chaos will likely not improve.

I note our TA almost always has group space (about $200-400 savings plus perks included) with refundable deposit.  Hope that will continue when cruises resume.