Well....attempting to go back to Tahiti one more time. We'll see...

Petoonya

11 hours ago, bennybear said:

Sadly I have had no luck with Tahiti and French Polynesia. Our first attempt was when they had a huge very nasty zika outbreak, so we cancelled,  then I had some medical issues two years ago that resulted in having to cancel,  followed by Princess cancelling our October trip this year.  Hoping one day we get to actually visit this beautiful place!  

Bennybear- this could be an ideal time to grab a cruise. Wind Spirit has unbelievably low prices Feb 2021-Nov 2021. Oceania has 10 nite Tahiti cruises in March 2021. It's another gamble as far as coronavirus, but with prices incredibly reasonable, maybe this'll be the charm for you.

• Like 1

Well we are kinda in the same boat. We have a Regent 15 night Hawaii to Tahiti January 15th 2021. Followed by a 3 night stop on Moorea. Probably at the IHG. The wife is nuts about dolphins😁

Petoonya I have followed your posts, not in creepy way I might add😂, but you gave us, indirectly, so much information. 
We will both be devastated if it doesn’t go ahead, so like you we look for the positive in any announcements.

I do agree that small ships might be the first to be allowed in with Gaugin being ideal together with the Windstar.

Fingers crossed the Navigator from Regent at 490 pax will be allowed as well. 

The very best to all.

On 5/18/2020 at 11:47 AM, Zukini said:

Yes, their pause in operations (at this point) only extends to July 1st, so they are currently selling tickets for this September.  I suspect they'll push it out one month at a time.  

HOLY MOLEY!!!!! Looks like you're going in September! Did you see this on the WS board?

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22973-windstar-plans-to-start-cruising-again-in-september.html

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

HOLY MOLEY!!!!! Looks like you're going in September! Did you see this on the WS board?

I'm really up in the air about it. Traveling from the East Coast,  I've got to deal with both JFK-LAX and LAX-PPT, so the state of air travel will have a lot to do with our decision, as well as whatever restrictions FP or Windstar may have in place.  I'm going ahead with my plan of putting a deposit on September 2021, and waiting until late August to decide if we'll stick with the original cruise or shift it out until 2021.  While I'm a compulsive planner, I guess this is one situation that I'll just have to be patient and see how things look.

2 hours ago, Zukini said:

I'm really up in the air about it. Traveling from the East Coast,  I've got to deal with both JFK-LAX and LAX-PPT, so the state of air travel will have a lot to do with our decision, as well as whatever restrictions FP or Windstar may have in place.  I'm going ahead with my plan of putting a deposit on September 2021, and waiting until late August to decide if we'll stick with the original cruise or shift it out until 2021.  While I'm a compulsive planner, I guess this is one situation that I'll just have to be patient and see how things look.

I hear you. You're in a tricky predicament, and a crapshoot for FP's and cruisers health. Glad you are going to put Sept 2021 under deposit. I'm OCD and this would drive me up the walls.

Have you booked WS or independent excursions for the upcoming Sept cruise?

Carnival starts sailing in August- doesn't seem possible that those big ships can stay virus free and possibly end up screwing things up permanently.

Momentous season ahead of us.

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

Have you booked WS or independent excursions for the upcoming Sept cruise?

With the exception of H2O Bora Bora, we went with all Windstar excursions. The vendor we wanted to use at Fakarava was contracted to WS anyway, as was Dr. Poole in Moorea.  

4 minutes ago, Zukini said:

With the exception of H2O Bora Bora, we went with all Windstar excursions. The vendor we wanted to use at Fakarava was contracted to WS anyway, as was Dr. Poole in Moorea.  

Can you tell me how you arranged the minimum for H2O BB? Don't they need at least 4? Are you doing half or full day?

8 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Can you tell me how you arranged the minimum for H2O BB? Don't they need at least 4? Are you doing half or full day?

There was already another couple and their 2 kids booked, so we fill out their 6-pack. Thinking about it now, though, the others were from Ovation of the Seas, which was also going to be in Bora Bora that day. Who knows what will happen with THAT. 

2 hours ago, Zukini said:

There was already another couple and their 2 kids booked, so we fill out their 6-pack. Thinking about it now, though, the others were from Ovation of the Seas, which was also going to be in Bora Bora that day. Who knows what will happen with THAT. 

Yeah,

sure can't see that ship there....for a long time if ever.

Petoonya, You have convinced me to book a Windstar FP cruise. After seeing your post about the new low prices, I decided to book the 11 night cruise on Feb 11. I know that Feb is the hot, rainy season in FP. But it's also the ice, snow, wind, cold-rain, and darkness season at home. 

The other advantage of booking Windstar, with only 148 passengers, is that I can join in on the frequent cruise ship size debates, common to this board, with smug responses like, "Imagine cruising on one of those ginormous ships like the Paul Gauguin with its huge influx of 332 passengers overrunning these small island communities." (That was written in fun for our PG fans.)

9 hours ago, Mercruiser said:

The other advantage of booking Windstar, with only 148 passengers, is that I can join in on the frequent cruise ship size debates, common to this board, with smug responses like, "Imagine cruising on one of those ginormous ships like the Paul Gauguin with its huge influx of 332 passengers overrunning these small island communities." (That was written in fun for our PG fans.)

LOL!!!!!!!

I am soooooo happy that you're giving Wind Spirit a whirl. You just can't beat these prices and you're going to be in heaven with the lovely ship and killer dining. I agree about cruising time. If I didn't have a choice I'd go in Feb- I'd go anytime. As a friend over there has said you don't know what you're going to get in FP  anyway, just like anywhere else in the world with climate change. One thing's for certain....in the NW we KNOW we're going to get rain. Or you- ice and snow. Wish we were sailing together and could share minimums for DIY excursions.

2 hours ago, Petoonya said:

LOL!!!!!!!

I am soooooo happy that you're giving Wind Spirit a whirl. You just can't beat these prices and you're going to be in heaven with the lovely ship and killer dining. I agree about cruising time. If I didn't have a choice I'd go in Feb- I'd go anytime. As a friend over there has said you don't know what you're going to get in FP  anyway, just like anywhere else in the world with climate change. One thing's for certain....in the NW we KNOW we're going to get rain. Or you- ice and snow. Wish we were sailing together and could share minimums for DIY excursions.

Interesting

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

On 5/21/2020 at 2:59 PM, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

I'm booking airfare for next March 😉

Poor you and your TWO PG cruises, lol. You're a good person to cruise with as it seems like good weather follows you in FP.

Glad you're around again 😉 Do you know when PG will be back plying the seas?

23 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Poor you and your TWO PG cruises, lol. You're a good person to cruise with as it seems like good weather follows you in FP.

Glad you're around again 😉 Do you know when PG will be back plying the seas?

The ship is in Tahiti awaiting word from the FP government that foreigners can start to fly into Faaa International. As  for now that is set for July 2, 2020 but everything is in flux awaiting the government go-ahead.

As I've said all along the crew/ship is ready to go and awaits cruisers  ...

Video of the Paul Gauguin/crew taken 2 weeks ago

2 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

The ship is in Tahiti awaiting word from the FP government that foreigners can start to fly into Faaa International. As  for now that is set for July 2, 2020 but everything is in flux awaiting the government go-ahead.

As I've said all along the crew/ship is ready to go and awaits cruisers  ...

Video of the Paul Gauguin/crew taken 2 weeks ago

Wow, that's wonderful Jerry. How many days is your cruise?

Prices are so good on Windstar I'd love to book it 2x. Or extend the 17 days. I've already contacted Bruno but have yet to hear back. Also booked 2 days with H2O Bora Bora. There is a marine biologist in Moorea (not Dr. Poole) who does ocean shark snorkeling that I'd love to do. But he does private tours and it's $500 for half day! Wish I could find another couple but last Windstar cruise I only found one other on the roll call able to do stuff.

What are your plans for excursions this time? Know it's early and we don't know about a vaccine, or if these cruises are going to be a go, but I can't help myself.

I have 2 groups going  in 2021 ... one in March and one in December. 

March is the 11 night Society/Cook islands itinerary

December is a special 11 night itinerary ... Society/Atolls. A full day on Rangiroa and 2 days on Motu Mahana. 

I've already plannedconfirmed all the private excursions for each group. March will be Marc's on Huahine, TeKing on  Aitutaki and on Bora bora Rannui. All are booked as private just for my group. We'll also have some special on-board stuff for the group and on Bora Bora I'll be taking sunset portraits.

The December group will enjoy private excursions with Marc on Huahine, Ato on Fakarava, the blue lagoon on Rangiroa and Rannui on Bora Bora. Again there will be special group stuff on-board as well as sunset portraits  taken on Bora Bora  ...

1 minute ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

I have 2 groups going  in 2021 ... one in March and one in December. 

March is the 11 night Society/Cook islands itinerary

December is a special 11 night itinerary ... Society/Atolls. A full day on Rangiroa and 2 days on Motu Mahana. 

I've already planned all the private excursions for each group. March will be Marc's on Huahine, Aitutaki will be TeKing and on Bora bora Rannui. All are booked as private just for my group. We'll also have some special on-board stuff for the group and on Bora Bora I'll be taking sunset portraits.

The December group will enjoy private excursions with Marc on Huahine, Ato on Fakarava, the blue lagoon on Rangiroa and Rannui ob Bora Bora. Again there will be special group stuff on-board as well as sunset portraits  taken on Bora Bora  ...

Jerry- it sounds fantastic! A very fortunate group both cruises. Don't think I'll ever get a trip with Ato as an never get enough people to participate. I'm reluctant to book with Marc as I can't stand the pearl farm etc stuff. Suffering through it with Bruno is enough, lol. There is also a day with Poetainia in Huahine that is supposed to be excellent but they do the pearl farm stuff too. They're running the tour for WS and I'm trying to determine if they also have the commercial stuff on that tour as I've never done a WS tour that does commercial.

What are your plans for Moorea? You've done everything and you're group will only get the best. We have four days there, possibly five and I want to be in the water for all. So if you have suggestions I'm all ears. Never done Moorea Miti and looking at that, but looks like the same old same old seeing sharks and rays. Have done jetskiing but my husband was terrible at it and I'd be worse. We should move to July for whales but dh wants earlier. Maybe the Hilton again for a day.....?

27 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Jerry- it sounds fantastic! A very fortunate group both cruises. Don't think I'll ever get a trip with Ato as an never get enough people to participate. I'm reluctant to book with Marc as I can't stand the pearl farm etc stuff. Suffering through it with Bruno is enough, lol. There is also a day with Poetainia in Huahine that is supposed to be excellent but they do the pearl farm stuff too. They're running the tour for WS and I'm trying to determine if they also have the commercial stuff on that tour as I've never done a WS tour that does commercial.

What are your plans for Moorea? You've done everything and you're group will only get the best. We have four days there, possibly five and I want to be in the water for all. So if you have suggestions I'm all ears. Never done Moorea Miti and looking at that, but looks like the same old same old seeing sharks and rays. Have done jetskiing but my husband was terrible at it and I'd be worse. We should move to July for whales but dh wants earlier. Maybe the Hilton again for a day.....?

Miti on Moorea would be my choice. 

I always plan private excursions in moderation so people in my groups can go on their own some and use any shipboard credit on ship's excursions  ... a delicate balance ...

Want to have a great time/experience in FP?  Go with TahitianBigKahuna 😉

My group on Marc's lagoon excursion ... the 'big' canoe 

DSC03303.jpg

Parrot fish on the BBQ on our private lagoon excursion with Ato on Fakarava

DSC03327.jpg

Enjoying some after BBQ water time in the Blue Lagoon 

DSC03344.jpg

Another picture of some of my group at the Blue Lagoon on Fakarava  ... tranquility

DSC03366.jpg

Jerry- looks lovely but might be too many people for us. Usually aim for 4-8 but will still consider. Have heard nothing but wonderful things about them, and your recommendation is tops.

Can't imagine the planning and concern involved in planning a group like this. Realize it's your forte and love. I'd be a wreck.

Any more Moorea tour ideas I'd appreciate. May try the Lagoonarium this time- it was bad weather last trip and the set-up of the place looked a little on the sad side. But it's what's in the water....have you done it before?

27 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Jerry- looks lovely but might be too many people for us. Usually aim for 4-8 but will still consider. Have heard nothing but wonderful things about them, and your recommendation is tops.

Can't imagine the planning and concern involved in planning a group like this. Realize it's your forte and love. I'd be a wreck.

Any more Moorea tour ideas I'd appreciate. May try the Lagoonarium this time- it was bad weather last trip and the set-up of the place looked a little on the sad side. But it's what's in the water....have you done it before?

Lagoonarium is lovely  ... yes a bit basic but it is clean and the place does have nice fish to enjoy  ... plus the price is right. 

I never go more than 20 in a group excursion. More than 20 and it is a bit more difficult for everyone to get in and out of the water quickly. But remember so excursions will pile 30, 40 or more on one boat and you don't know until you show up. Notice that on Fakarava it's easy to find your own piece of lagoon to enjoy.

A few from the BBQ area on Huahine with Marc

P3090270.jpg

P3090274.jpg

19 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Lagoonarium is lovely  ... yes a bit basic but it is clean and the place does have nice fish to enjoy  ... plus the price is right. 

I never go more than 20 in a group excursion. More than 20 and it is a bit more difficult for everyone to get in and out of the water quickly. But remember so excursions will pile 30, 40 or more on one boat and you don't know until you show up. You notice that on Fakarava it's eay to find your own piece of lagoon to enjoy 😉

Yeah, I never go on an excursion with more than 8, usually more 4-6 and pick a small occupancy boat before booking. Bruno's larger group is ok as he's the only game in town and is so good. but last time we had him all to ourselves.

Found a dive shop in Fakarava, O2 Fakakrava, that snorkels Pufuna and one other site. Well rated on Tripadvisor and again it's just 6 passengers. Might be better for us than Ato's anyway. Have done the Blue Lagoon so other than his delicious lunch and good company hopefully won't miss much not doing his tour. But your photography at Blue Lagoon.....your group members are in for a treat.

Edited by Petoonya

If I kept the excursion at 4-6 I would have several un-happy members in the group. I've done this several times and find up to 20 to be no problem. Excursions I choose are fantastic and the boats they have accommodate 20 easily. 

I don't like it when the group is to small as it's to easy for someone to bail at the last minute and then the excursion operator might cancel ... 10-20 and you don't need to worry about that happening plus the excursion is filled only by my private group.

6 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

If I kept the excursion at 4-6 I would have several un-happy members in the group. I've done this several times and find up to 20 to be no problem. Excursions I choose are fantastic and the boats they have accommodate 20 easily. 

I don't like it when the group is to small as it's to easy for someone to bail at the last minute and then the excursion operator might cancel ... 10-20 and you don't need to worry about that happening plus the excursion is filled only by my private group.

There are different priorities taking a group, and you sound so gregarious with such attention to detail I'm sure your tours are a blast.

But we like small, 6 feels just right 😞. (Meant for that to be a happy face) When we've done Tahiti excursions of even 12 people it gets slow as people are at all levels of experience. Some who are new to snorkeling can slow things down a bit and some people have difficulty with the ladders. With a  group of 6 who are like minded and similar experience level we can cover more snorkeling ground 🙂 The people I hook up with have done this a few times and don't want the Polynesian experience on excursions- more focused totally on snorkeling. Different strokes for different folks.

But if someone did want the Polynesian experience, fun times, snorkeling, good food and entertainment they'd want to book with you. On my first trip to FP I also did bigger groups and glad I did,

Edited by Petoonya