SS/RCCL Finances: Improving, Options, Questions??!!

TLCOhio

4 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

I've attached a few screen shots of Powells open and closing remarks from Jackson Hole. The talking heads felt the remarks were hawkish to slightly hawkish.  I disagree, and the market did too.

Appreciate this background and follow-up from highplanesdrifters as we try to figure out what the Federal Reserve will do next and how the economy will evolve during the coming months and for next year.  These are unusual and challenging times for our worldwide economy.

From the Wall Street Journal this morning, they had this headline: Consumers Are Spending Like It’s 2019" with this sub-headline:  "Pandemic-driven binges recede as expenses mount and customers value experiences over goods.

Here were some of their reporting highlights:Shoppers have shifted their spending habits in a postpandemic world, leaving retailers in the lurch.  The stocks of major retailers have tumbled as stores including Macy’s, Dick’s Sporting Goods and Foot Locker posted slowing sales, weakening profits and tepid forecasts.  Their lackluster results offer more evidence that strained consumers feeling the weight of higher debt and increased prices are redirecting their discretionary spending away from certain products and goods.

For the cruise lines, they like to see "customers value experiences over goods", but will that continue full-speed-ahead if the economy goes into a recession?

This WSJ analysis also noted: "Early in the pandemic, shoppers started pouring money into the homes they were spending more time in. Now that lockdowns are in the rearview mirror, the spending on renovation projects, workout equipment and home goods has cooled."

Keep up the great sharing and comments.  Most of our Crystal Balls are still a little cloudy and confused.  Maybe?  Your best guesses and predictions?

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/business/retail/consumers-are-spending-like-its-2019-dff7b8bc?mod=hp_lead_pos2

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 54,740 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

From this financial news website this morning, they had this headline: Royal Caribbean cruise line has bad pricing news for passengers" with this sub-headline:  "Royal Caribbean has fixed a problem that's good news for shareholders and maybe Walt Disney. But the cruise line's customers won't be happy.

Here are some of their reporting highlights: “When the cruise industry came back from its roughly 15-month covid-related shutdown, ships were sailing at very low passenger loads. That was a necessity due to social-distancing requirements, but prices remained low because demand simply wasn't there.  Over the course of multiple quarterly-earnings calls, Royal Caribbean Group Chief Executive Jason Liberty talked about the price gap between a cruise and a comparable land-based vacation.”

This story details that the price gap for ship versus land vacations has largely gone away for the newest ships in Royal Caribbean's fleet.  Are we seeing that with Silversea for some of the newest ships and/or with the highest-level suites?  This story noted: "While the days of the cheap cruise have not ended, finding a low-cost cruise on a newer ship is hard. Booking Wonder of the Seas generally costs much more (often twice as much, if not higher) than booking a similar itinerary on older Oasis-class ships."

In summary, this analysis noted: "Every business wants to maximize revenue. Disney has mastered that effort, using demand-based pricing at its theme parks to balance crowds and income. Royal Caribbean has gotten better at doing the same thing, according to Liberty."

What will we see for Silversea (under control from the RCL "bean-counters") balancing out these customer-demand versus maximizing-revenue questions?

Full story at:

https://www.thestreet.com/travel/royal-caribbean-has-bad-pricing-news-for-passengers

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 33,774 views.  Many pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

20 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

I've attached a few screen shots of Powells open and closing remarks from Jackson Hole. The talking heads felt the remarks were hawkish to slightly hawkish.  I disagree, and the market did too.

Part of his statement which I feel says it all:

"We are prepared to raise rates further if appropriate, and intend to hold policy at a restrictive level until we are confident that inflation is moving sustainably down toward our objective."

Unless we get some surprisingly high inflation numbers he is telling us in this statement they are on hold. One could make the case that his statement was hawkish because he didn't mention "cutting" rates next year, but I feel that's just crazy talk!

What does it mean for equities?  One would think a continuation.  The pullback is in concern range but not fear. Gun to my head, up.  Who knows what the market will focus on next week. Certainly not me.😄

Curve flattening with a rising 10 year. Bond analysis anyone?  @RetiredandTravel

Screenshot_20230826_090830_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d945b3433b4057a594f3660725892d63.jpg

Screenshot_20230826_091116_Chrome.thumb.jpg.becf180117e07ccc4f668689c6c954a0.jpg

The Treasury market has already tightened for the fed.  Mortgage rates are correlated to the 10 year note so mortgage rates are up 50 bps in the last month, 175 bps for a year.  The big question is can inflation continue to decrease without destroying the economy?  The current rise in the 2 year note to previous highs at 5.07 suggests there may be more wood to chop.   I would like to see the two year hold the recent ~5.10 high (~5.16 in 2006) otherwise the next recent high is ~6.50 in 2000.  I would think that would be a negative for the stock market but it sure wasn't in 1/2000.  The ten year is also on what I view a key resistance of 4.33, the next high level being 5.31 in 2007.  The enormous supply of Treasuries isn't helping (duh).  Credit spreads remain very tight which is a big positive for the overall market and cruise line stocks.  Credit spreads are also key, decent article in Barron's (attached).  I know the Fed is not supposed to be political but I doubt they want the US economy in a deep recession in an election year.  If for no other reason than the daily tweets (X?) on what a poor job you are doing have to get annoying.

I'm pulling or the stock market to go up but that's by definition my book.  September is historically the worst month of the year for the stock market but I noticed a big spike in CBOE put buying, a short term indicator of course but an important one.  The week before Labor Day is probably the second biggest vacation week behind Christmas in NYC with employment on Friday.  Cheers

https://www.barrons.com/articles/bonds-bankrupty-fed-interest-rates-inflation-905cc5c7?refsec=markets&mod=topics_markets

• Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 5:51 AM, RetiredandTravel said:

The Treasury market has already tightened for the fed.  Mortgage rates are correlated to the 10 year note so mortgage rates are up 50 bps in the last month, 175 bps for a year.  The big question is can inflation continue to decrease without destroying the economy?  The current rise in the 2 year note to previous highs at 5.07 suggests there may be more wood to chop.   I would like to see the two year hold the recent ~5.10 high (~5.16 in 2006) otherwise the next recent high is ~6.50 in 2000.  I would think that would be a negative for the stock market but it sure wasn't in 1/2000.  The ten year is also on what I view a key resistance of 4.33, the next high level being 5.31 in 2007.  The enormous supply of Treasuries isn't helping (duh).  Credit spreads remain very tight which is a big positive for the overall market and cruise line stocks.  Credit spreads are also key, decent article in Barron's (attached).  I know the Fed is not supposed to be political but I doubt they want the US economy in a deep recession in an election year.  If for no other reason than the daily tweets (X?) on what a poor job you are doing have to get annoying.

I'm pulling or the stock market to go up but that's by definition my book.  September is historically the worst month of the year for the stock market but I noticed a big spike in CBOE put buying, a short term indicator of course but an important one.  The week before Labor Day is probably the second biggest vacation week behind Christmas in NYC with employment on Friday.  Cheers

https://www.barrons.com/articles/bonds-bankrupty-fed-interest-rates-inflation-905cc5c7?refsec=markets&mod=topics_markets

Thanks for the report, always helpful.  These zero day options that you mentioned in a previous post seem to have some staying power and may becoming more impactful. Keeping an eye.

41 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Yes big (fast) price movements the last two hours of trading.

BUT, not helping RCL and the cruise stock through mid-afternoon today. All are down!image.thumb.png.0f8c51e26bd0148728278bed527bc7a7.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

BUT, not helping RCL and the cruise stock through mid-afternoon today. All are down!image.thumb.png.0f8c51e26bd0148728278bed527bc7a7.png

RCL stock is still up 99% YTD.  I do not know how reliable this data is but this gives me the impression that RCL bonds trade on the German Boerse (Frankfurt).  Maybe the International Desk (HPD) knows more.  I'm guessing here but the website seems to include coupon & maturity date.  The actual RCL bond structures could be much more complicated with call dates etc etc etc.  This is not an investment recommendation on my part.

https://www.boerse-frankfurt.de/bond/us780153ag79-royal-caribbean-cruises-ltd-7-5-97-27

https://www.boerse-frankfurt.de/bond/usv7780taj26-royal-caribbean-cruises-ltd-11-625-22-27

It appears one can search the exchange by name and that more RCL bonds are listed.

https://www.boerse-frankfurt.de/bonds

Edited by RetiredandTravel
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Maybe the International Desk (HPD) knows more.

The debt market was never my strong suit and I've always admired those like yourself who can wade through the plethora of complicated data and make sense of it.  But, I could always make something up. 😃

From the Internationl desk:  

XI has signaled that he's not going to pump for now. Doesn't want his workers getting fat and lazy. Not a big headwind, also not the tailwind the market needs for the next leg up. Perhaps we muck about in this area for a bit.  Head & Shoulder Technicals still in place to take us to 4748-4831 area.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 9:16 AM, TLCOhio said:

Are we seeing that with Silversea for some of the newest ships and/or with the highest-level suites?  This story noted: "While the days of the cheap cruise have not ended, finding a low-cost cruise on a newer ship is hard. Booking Wonder of the Seas generally costs much more (often twice as much, if not higher) than booking a similar itinerary on older Oasis-class ships."

As for the Cruise lines, they seem to be riding the same tide as everyone else with RCL a cut above the rest. 

Are we starting to see pricing cracks from all the new luxury competition coming on?   I'm seeing some great pricing on Seabourn.  The new Explora line just launched, beautiful ship and suites, also some great pricing. A tad larger than I like.  But, if we weren't booked up, I'd jump on her in a heartbeat with the thought that the pricing beats some of the 5* resorts out there.

Silversea pricing is crazy high. Looking at Japan itineraries the larger suites were double Seabourn.

Friends who have been Lindblad regulars have canceled their high priced trips with them and booked Seanourn Venture. I've never understood Lindblad appeal, pay more for the name and get less.

More important than ever to shop around.

18 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Are we starting to see pricing cracks from all the new luxury competition coming on?   I'm seeing some great pricing on Seabourn.  The new Explora line just launched, beautiful ship and suites, also some great pricing.  More important than ever to shop around.

Appreciate these great comments and follow-ups from R&T and highplanesdrifters.  YES, the wisdom to "shop around" has never been more true.  Hopefully, there will be bargains and special deals to consider for the future as the luxury competition heats up.  And, when will the economy slow down???  

From Forbes business magazine yesterday, they had this headline: Investor Warning: September Is The S&P 500’s Worst Performing Month with these highlights:While August was a shaky month for investors, it could just be a warmup for September. Traditionally, that ninth month, which is just a few days away, has been the very worst month in which to invest in stocks, according to a recent data analysis from New York-based analytics company CFRA.  'We remind investors to prepare for the possibility of disappointing results for boht the S&P 500 and Nasdaq in the month ahead,' the report states.  On average since 1945, the S&P 500 falls 56% of the time in September, making it the only month which is more likely to see a drop than an advance of any kind, CFRA research states. The average S&P 500 return is minus 0.73%, the worst of any month.

Got your investment "seat belt" fastened?  Ready for a rocky ride??

Full story at:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/simonconstable/2023/08/28/investor-warning-september-is-the-sp-500s-worst-performing-month/?sh=560cc89e377f

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 32,278 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

Someone told me that the new RCL ship is 7k for 7 nights for a veranda Caribbean cruise.  There are a lot of things that aren't included.  The new ship is the attraction I guess.

I find SS and SB to be about the same price (adjusting for air & excursions) for mid level veranda.  We prefer the dining options on SS so unless the itinerary is much much better we are going with SS for now.  We watched the Nova preview with Barbara M. and have been following Tucson's trip report, it is a beautiful ship very forward thinking.  

Japan is great.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Your house or hers?🤣

Seriously, Nova is a beauty.  Check out the Explora.

Cool.  There is a point that the luxury market will set saturated.  Fancy marketing on their website but I still haven't been able to get an actual cruise schedule.  ☹️

1 hour ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Cool.  There is a point that the luxury market will set saturated.  Fancy marketing on their website but I still haven't been able to get an actual cruise schedule.  ☹️

Great additional background from the savvy R&T and highplanesdrifters.  Yes, what will go up, might also slide back.  This applies to cruise prices, stock values.  

Below is a mid-morning chart from the Wall Street Journal for Royal Caribbean.  Nice ride up, UP yesterday.  But, this am, the stock slide back downward and is below $100 a share.  Like the waters around Florida today, things are "ROCKY"!!  Hard to predict and know??

image.thumb.png.7020b83aa776663348de9b0931fab073.png

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 21,988 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RetiredandTravel said:

I hope the luxury market gets saturated. 

Terrible web site. All fluff, hard to navigate.  No earth shattering itineraries. Nice enough if you want to do a lap.

Try this for schedule.

https://booking.explorajourneys.com/touchb2c/?searchVoyages={"dateFromVal"%3A{"local"%3A"2023-08-30T00%3A00%3A00.000"}%2C"dateToVal"%3A{"local"%3A"2023-12-31T00%3A00%3A00.000"}%2C"minAvlResultVal"%3A"OK"%2C"minAvlResultCtgVal"%3A"OK"%2C"residency"%3A"US"%2C"resParams"%3A{"agencyIdVal"%3A202%2C"customerCounts"%3A{"adults"%3A2%2C"seniors"%3A0%2C"children"%3A0%2C"infants"%3A0%2C"juniors"%3A0%2C"youths"%3A0}}}#/

Thanks I did eventually find some, the ones further out said nothing found.  First review 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=1527

Terry have any of these cruise operators discussed their plans to pay off the debt?

21 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Thanks I did eventually find some, the ones further out said nothing found.  First review 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=1527

Terry have any of these cruise operators discussed their plans to pay off the debt?

Thanks for the link.  Just looked and found some reports on the Explora threads.  Sounds like a rocky start. Not sure if this large ship thing is in my cards.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Super great question and follow-up from the savvy R&T.  Debt??  Paying it off??  Who worries about that?  Look at governments around the world, including here in the USA.  From listening to many different cruise lines briefings in recent years, the question of debt will come up, at times, but in a fairly limited way.    

This is a complicated issue as, yes, they focus on adjusting debts to switching to borrowing through lower rate sources.  Also, things are complicated as on new ship construction, they have complicated and subsidized borrowings through Europe governments to finance these billion of dollars to fund these new ship that are costly, but hopefully more efficient to operate.  Also, the new ships are "bright magnets" to line up new bookings and build excitement for their different brands.  

The bottom line to your excellent question is that debt has come up, but is not a major focus during these calls.  The main attention is about future bookings, profit margins, cost-control factors, etc.  My guess is that in future such briefings, there will be more questions on debt and how any future economic downturn will impact customer spending/pricing levels. 

From Yahoo News and this financial news website yesterday afternoon, they had this headline: Is Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings (NCLH) Too Good to Be True? A Comprehensive Analysis  with these highlights: “Value-focused investors are always on the hunt for stocks that are priced below their intrinsic value. One such stock that merits attention is Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings.  Despite its seemingly attractive valuation, certain risk factors associated with Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings should not be ignored.”

This long analysis focuses much on highly-technical factors.  Confusing to me as a highly-qualified non-expert.  Much is about the Altman Z-score.  Got that?  Here was their conclusion: "Despite its impressive operations, the company's financial health is concerning, as indicated by its low Altman Z-score and declining revenues and earnings.  Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings's financial health may be weak, suggesting possible financial distress."

Their summary also noted: "This pattern may point to underlying challenges such as diminishing demand for Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings's products, or escalating competition in its market sector. Either scenario can pose serious risks to the company's future performance."

Full story at:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-nclh-233426873.html

Summer 2019 Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals, Our firsts in these scenic areas!  Now at 19,781 views. Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

33 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Thanks for the link.  Just looked and found some reports on the Explora threads.  Sounds like a rocky start. Not sure if this large ship thing is in my cards.

No surprise that a new cruise line and new ship with a new crew would have "a rocky start".  It's always challenging to get everyone in training to be properly focused/experienced.  For us, it is about the itineraries, first and foremost.  

Did look at the Explora website more to see if they are offering much unique, different and creative for where they are sailing, ports visited, etc.  Just doing the "usually suspects" for locations in the Med and Caribbean does not excite us.  Will watch them with interest, but to do more remote, unique parts of the world does require more than just "sailing around" for the first time.  It mandates some depth of staff and management skills to put it all together correctly.  That cannot be learned or done quickly or in just a few months.  

Early 2020, many visuals and details from New Zealand/South Pacific in going from Auckland to French Polynesia.  This includes Bora Bora, Fiji, NZ experiences, etc:  Live/blog:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2735732-live-terryohio-“new”-regatta-south-pacificnz-pix’s/

As to the complicated and large, but serious, cruise ship debt questions, this financial news website from back in March, there was this headline: Cruise Companies Are Investing Billions in New Ships Piling Up Fresh Debt.

Here were some of the reporting highlights:Cruise companies are still continuing with their new vessel orders despite choppy waters in an uncertain consumer spending environment — and face the risks of piling on more debt.  Take Norwegian Cruise Lines, which is planning to invest $2.4 billion in ship construction-related capital expenditures for 2023, and anticipates the figure to be $500 million and $1.8 billion for 2024 and 2025, respectively. Royal Caribbean Group also sees approximately $4.1 billion in ship construction costs in 2023 and an aggregate total of $9.8 billion for all existing ship orders. Carnival Corporation expects contracted new-builds to be $1.8 billion for 2023, and is reshaping its investment spending outlook to scale back on capital expenditures.  The three major cruise lines, with $74 billion of debt combined, according to Bloomberg, face incoming competition from billionaires and hotels hoping to start their own fleets. Betting on the luxury tier and existing customer loyalty bases, these new entrants will be vying for a chunk of the premium market.

Later in this report, the writer summarized:  "Cruise companies are now in a balancing act between paying off debt and rebuilding profit streams."

As added background, this story shared: "Export credit financing is a typical loan arrangement to finance cruise ship constructions. This is often negotiated with export credit facilities of countries where the shipyards are located, allowing cruise companies to place ship orders without having to pay much in advance."

Full story at:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/cruise-companies-investing-billions-ships-180500849.html

Canada 2022/2023: Scenic visuals, details from Canada Maritimes (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island).  Plus, new from Aug. 2023, exploring historic/charming Quebec City.    Visual/Info Summaries:

www.flickr.com/photos/196555480@N08/albums

I would guess they (RCL++) plan on retiring the debt as is matures, but that's a complete guess.  Is there a long lead time for building a ship?  Did SS make commitments on some of these new ships after Covid?

Altman Z score is just a complicated way to try to predict companies ability to pay debt.  If you want to get in the weeds see attached.

"According to studies, the model showed an accuracy of 72% in predicting bankruptcy two years before it occurred, and it returned a false positive of 6%."

https://corporatefinanceinstitute.com/resources/commercial-lending/altmans-z-score-model/

HPD I agree on the larger ships.  I've looked at Cunard Queens Grill a few times, we may take that back from Europe instead on flying some time.  A booze cruise if you will.  I'm a big fan of "tips for travelers"  overviews on cruises and he loves it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csBWGPMsqfY

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

For us, it is about the itineraries, first and foremost.  

I'm with you on this one. But lately given the cost of some land based resorts I'm thinking of slipping in a trip on a bigger ship with killer suites and great restaurants like The Nova or Explora 1.  Jury is still out.  I'm quite turned off by comments that people can't get into the restaurants. What's the point!

3 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

HPD I agree on the larger ships.  I've looked at Cunard Queens Grill a few times, we may take that back from Europe instead on flying some time.  A booze cruise if you will.  I'm a big fan of "tips for travelers"  overviews on cruises and he loves it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csBWGPMsqfY

Or perhaps crossing on  Cunard Queens Grill!  Anything to avoid Heathrow. 😃

Agree, Gary B does a great job. 

On 8/31/2023 at 3:24 PM, highplanesdrifters said:

I'm with you on this one. But lately given the cost of some land based resorts I'm thinking of slipping in a trip on a bigger ship with killer suites and great restaurants like The Nova or Explora 1.  Jury is still out.  I'm quite turned off by comments that people can't get into the restaurants. What's the point!   Or perhaps crossing on  Cunard Queens Grill!  Anything to avoid Heathrow. 😃

Great follow-ups and observations from R&T and highplanesdrifters.  Fortunately, there are many different options to consider.  Just a matter of researching as to what best fits your interests and budget.    

From the Wall Street Journal late yesterday, below are the charts for the three major cruise lines.  My summary?  It was not a good week for the three major cruise lines.  Right or wrong??   This is especially true when you compared these stocks versus the trend for the overall S&P 500.  Royal Caribbean has dropped down below $100 a share.  

Clearly the Wall Street traders are seeing something that they do not like.  What?  Any good insights and speculation as to what is creating these negative attitudes towards these cruise stocks?

Tuesday afternoon, Royal Caribbean was at $101.16 and went down on Friday as low as $97.05.  In late July, RCL had peaked up to $112.95.  Clearly, this past month has not been too kind for Royal Caribbean.  Now that we are in September, traditionally the most negative for the overall stock market, what will be the trend for RCL and the other two major cruise companies by early October?

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 248,537 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

From the Wall Street Journal/WSJ, below are their charts for the three major cruise lines. Seems fairly negative as to the downward direction. Correct or not?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.png.2bfc011f0c11cc913d77fb758c935abe.png

image.thumb.png.ddcbfe89b1ea35db1d2ee5552ba5be64.png

image.thumb.png.c6b22f8af53dbe3d3e4564af885e4715.png

Here is the WSJ chart for the broader, overall S&P 500 chart of the past month.  Clearly in the past week, stocks were up, UP.  Significant contrast to the downward movement with the three cruise company stocks.:

image.thumb.png.fc9e8ffb4c4d642531579612d59d5812.png

From the Wall Street Journal charts below as of mid-morning today, they show major drops early in opening trading for each of the three days of Tuesday, Wednesday and today.  

Why?  Part of it is the overall market as shown below with the overall S&P 500.  

Is this the start of the "September Slide"?  How far down will things go this month?  As mentioned earlier, historically, September has always been the most negative month in an overall 12-month trading cycle.  

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 245,156 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

For opening trading on Tuesday, Wednesday and today, you can see highly negative drops for these stocks. Especially for Norwegian, the openings were really "violent" with the negative slides.   Why and what is happening?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.png.23b06e95c60ea2eaa72f7e19c106b569.png

image.thumb.png.0c66b40a9aff54f2984d0484dbf36187.png

Overall this week, the market has been sliding down and maybe that is what is depressing the cruise stocks.  Right or wrong?:

image.thumb.png.5f305b51c5e04990c1bc3658f6b512b8.png

31 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Is this the start of the "September Slide"?  How far down will things go this month?  As mentioned earlier, historically, September has always been the most negative month in an overall 12-month trading cycle.  

It's not the September slide I'm worried about.  It's the big slide.  Credit card and car loan default just hit 10 year highs.

From 'The Sun Also Rises':

How did you go bankrupt?

Two ways. Gradually, then suddenly.