Ships Scattered About

roger001

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

I wonder where the Bliss and Encore are headed at such a slow pace?

AIS indicates Bliss is headed for Norfolk, VA.  Encore has an unrecognized port input but she is on the East side of the islands.

If I've counted correctly, I see 14 of the NCL ships wandering about today,  with another 1 or 2 docked.  Then looking at all the other companies out doing the same, that's a lot of ships to park somewhere soon.  I wonder what's the latest on using the ships to return crew home.  Like the movie, they're men (and women) without a country at the moment.  Boeing announced today that they feel we are 2 to 3 years from returning to near 2019 levels of airline activity.  

38 minutes ago, roger001 said:

that's a lot of ships to park somewhere soon.

They'll go back to anchorages or head into a port to re-up on supplies/fuel to keep the minimal systems running.  I don't see them using the "cold layup" where the ship is all but abandoned, it'll be a "warm layup" where the ship is running many of the mechanical systems but with minimal crew on board.  I only say this because I just don't think there's enough dock space to park the ships, lock the doors and walk away for 6 months and from a security standpoint I don't see them anchoring the ships and leaving as an option.  Plus, if this continues into hurricane season, they'll need to have the ships mobile so they can "get out of Dodge" if one is bearing down on their location.

• Like 1

I recently booked a September 20-27 Alaska cruise on the Bliss.  I noticed they have already made my air reservations (cruise came with free air.)  You would almost think their air department hasn't been informed yet that they are not cruising this year....:-)

3 hours ago, Corliss said:

I recently booked a September 20-27 Alaska cruise on the Bliss.  I noticed they have already made my air reservations (cruise came with free air.)  You would almost think their air department hasn't been informed yet that they are not cruising this year....:-)

But you think that they are.... because you booked a cruise?

• Haha 1

As of this moment I think they are and it appears they think they are...:-)  Today NCL announced they will  "furlough 20% of its work force through the end of July."  furlough is “a temporary layoff from work.” People who get furloughed usually get to return to their job after a furlough.

I watched the Trump and DeSantis (FLA. gov) press conference and it was very interesting how DeSantis pushed back on reporter's suggestions that they ban travel from South and Central America (there are some big covid breakouts in the region.)  He was quite opposed and said that airlines need to test passengers before they board the plane to the U.S.  Trump agreed and they said they are going to work on that.  He stressed that Florida's covid was being seeded by New Yorkers and not foreign travel (they do a lot of contact tracing.)  You may recall a month ago he wanted the Trump administration to quarantine New York and Trump said there was no way they could do that.  So DeSantis instructed New Yorkers to self quarantine for 14 days after arriving in Florida.

He stressed that travel is very important to Florida's economy and also stressed that the reason that Florida has done so well with covid is because of their extensive testing and tracking.

And to reply specifically to your inquiry as to why I booked the cruise I look at it as a win/win proposition.  Either they will do the cruise (which I would be very happy about.  I did 17 NCL cruises last year...:-)  or they will cancel the cruise and they will return the future cruise credits I used to book it with and give me an additional 25% FCC.