Who says the papers never get things right.

daiB

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

before you go down the union bashing route the decline of the British car industry was the lack of investment plus the working conditions were atrocious compared to our European competitors,when you saw the profits being drained to pay shareholder dividends and ever increasing wages of the people in charge it became inevitable those who were actually making the products would want there share,but blame it all on the unions you probably believe the bosses were blameless.

And there was I thinking BL was nationalised, so I assume it was the govt draining the profits from over generous dividends.:classic_blink:

46 minutes ago, CCFC said:

Triumph was started by a German and had factories in Germany in the early days.

Good job I've got a Hugo Boss suit.  I can wear that next time I'm out for a spin once the lockdown is lifted 😲

And there's the Arai helmet as well....

Must admit, didn't know that snippet of motoring history, thanks

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

Well it's a British company (incorporated in England & Wales) producing cars in Norfolk situated on a former WWII airfield:classic_smile:

Indeed. I worked for them at Hethel in 1973, back in the days of Colin Chapman.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Isnt Lotus owned by Zhejiang Geely Holding Group a Chinese Company and Etika a Malaysian Company.

As is Volvo and the London Taxi Company. The Far East owners have really turned these two companies around and have great plans for Lotus

13 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

And there was I thinking BL was nationalised, so I assume it was the govt draining the profits from over generous dividends.:classic_blink:

Your correct about BL the government bought a south African in to sell off the profitable bits like unipart and the large parcels of land they owned,so they was left with the unprofitable parts the government than sold them to British aerospace who than asset striped the company than sold them on to BMW.

But who am i to argue with your way of thinking.

Edited by Bazrat

6 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Well this thread took a surprising turn.... 😁

Back on point.

I've just read that Marella are taking Celebration out of service earlier than they'd planned. Apparently she was supposed to go after 2021/ 2022 season.  Wonder if the papers have got this right.  The outcome of cruise cancellations maybe. I wonder if anymore lines will consider it as an option.

Avril 

8 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Back on point.

I've just read that Marella are taking Celebration out of service earlier than they'd planned. Apparently she was supposed to go after 2021/ 2022 season.  Wonder if the papers have got this right.  The outcome of cruise cancellations maybe. I wonder if anymore lines will consider it as an option.

Avril 

I posted this a few days back Avril, it is true. 

I think she was supposed to home port in Croatia next year. 

She was built in the 80s, so quite an old girl. 

Prior to the announcement, terrific deals were being offered, so you might be right about cancellations.. 

Andy 

6 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I posted this a few days back Avril, it is true. 

I think she was supposed to home port in Croatia next year. 

She was built in the 80s, so quite an old girl. 

Prior to the announcement, terrific deals were being offered, so you might be right about cancellations.. 

Andy 

Sorry Andy, I hadn't been keeping up for a few days. I think it says her last cruise was to be Dubai so maybe that also had something to do with it.

I was built in the 1940s and I'm a old gal too, but I keep chugging along. 😆😉

Avril 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Sorry Andy, I hadn't been keeping up for a few days. I think it says her last cruise was to be Dubai so maybe that also had something to do with it.

I was built in the 1940s and I'm a old gal too, but I keep chugging along. 😆😉

Avril 

Vintage Avril... 

Andy 

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Back on point.

Avril 

Celebration is well passed her sell by date. I think it is at least 20 years since we were on her and she shook so much you couldn't have a full glass on the table!

6 minutes ago, happy v said:

Celebration is well passed her sell by date. I think it is at least 20 years since we were on her and she shook so much you couldn't have a full glass on the table!

I guess many,many thousands of guests had a good time on her, seems to have a loyal following. We were parked up on Britannia in Granada. When we looked down over the side there a long way down was celebration. It didn't look impressive. We were having a drink in town and said to another couple" are you on Britannia ?". "Oh no we wouldn't. get on that thing ,too big. We are on celebration. It's a great ship'. Each to their own I suppose. Our first ever cruise was on Island Escape. We quite enjoyed that.

Edited by zap99
Unfinished

6 minutes ago, happy v said:

A bit like Oriana on an occasion.

Avril 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I guess many,many thousands of guests had a good time on her, seems to have a loyal following. We were parked up on Britannia in Granada. When we looked down over the side there a long way down was celebration. It didn't look impressive. We were having a drink in town and said to another couple" are you on Britannia ?". "Oh no we wouldn't. get on that thing ,too big. We are on celebration. It's a great ship'. Each to their own I suppose. Our first ever cruise was on Island Escape. We quite enjoyed that.

We always had a great time on all Thomsons ships. It was only when I found out all ships didn't roll and bounce up and down and I wasn't sick all the time that we moved!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/30/2020 at 1:48 PM, Eddie99 said:

Back to the Daily Mail, Rothermere and Nazism

Here’s a really good, brief article by Roy Greenslade, interestingly enough published in The Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2011/dec/06/dailymail-oswald-mosley

The facts are there - it’s time to bury the 80 year old mantra

Odd one today. The Daily Mail had a pullout for VE day.  A few pages of what they published at the time.  However the two pages before it were a story by P G Woodhouse.  I have no idea why they were published an old PG Woodhouse story but the irony is a bit heavy.  Someone in the Daily Mail must of known what they were doing.

On 4/30/2020 at 5:21 PM, Harry Peterson said:

I think I'll keep out of this before I'm accused of running multiple profiles!  However, I did say that it was a combination of the unions and bad management - a recipe for disaster, which is exactly what it proved to be.

If only unions and management (and government) could learn to work together in this country, as they do in Germany, rather than constantly fighting for party political reasons we'd be in the healthy financial state that Germany's in instead of the state we're in.  I don't recall seeing ten years of austerity cuts in Germany - they have more sense, and realise that cutting investment in the future and infrastructure is economic madness.

The unions and government don't work together in Germany, the unions dictate to the government. The unions are very closely allied with the political parties (as in France). Unions like IG Metall make the rules. Germany has indeed had austerity cuts, growth fell significantly in 2019 and social spending/investment has been virtually zero for the last 10 years under Angela Merkel's no new debts policy. The east, always the poor relation, has been hardest hit, with poverty reaching its highest levels in 2019 since reunification, rising work insecurity and earnings inequality.

• Like 1