New Screening

mercury7289

If all of these measures were implemented it would not be cruising as we know it. I would also feel unable to relax with the constant reminder that just one person with the virus could lock the ship down.

Im in the no cruising until something changes for the better camp.

I won’t be going to the cinema, concerts etc meantime either.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I agree that its very difficult to see cruising as a viable option for a long time but that applies to a lot of situations. My friend has a hairdressing salon and she already has information on plans on what to do to allow them to re-open when they are eventually allowed to. They include a daily temp check of staff and every customer, disposable towels, all hair to be washed, face masks for staff and reducing the number of "chairs" in use. Business's are making plans to re-open, they have to, but whether it will be enough for a lot of us is questionable. 

Some one posted somewhere else..they had seen /been sent that Celebrity is going to ask their cruisers to get completed by their Doctor/GP (ofcourse in these times GP's have all the time in the world to complete forms for someones holiday!!!) to say they are ok to cruise.

Something that I have already been worried about  is that the American lines to not seem to have taken things totally onboard about this virus and the world. Witness the Holland America ship ,that after the virus had spread to Europe, started a cruise to South America, as it hadn't reached the US yet..people died on that ship, as it had. On the Celebrity FB fans page they are already all talking about cruising way before Christmas. There is no mention of insurance. I don't think they have to have seperate insurance. 

I think people will be pushed to cruise with those lines ,before they maybe should ,as the lines will not want to go under with giving everyone refunds. 

30 minutes ago, the english lady said:

Some one posted somewhere else..they had seen /been sent that Celebrity is going to ask their cruisers to get completed by their Doctor/GP (ofcourse in these times GP's have all the time in the world to complete forms for someones holiday!!!) to say they are ok to cruise.

Something that I have already been worried about  is that the American lines to not seem to have taken things totally onboard about this virus and the world. Witness the Holland America ship ,that after the virus had spread to Europe, started a cruise to South America, as it hadn't reached the US yet..people died on that ship, as it had. On the Celebrity FB fans page they are already all talking about cruising way before Christmas. There is no mention of insurance. I don't think they have to have seperate insurance. 

I think people will be pushed to cruise with those lines ,before they maybe should ,as the lines will not want to go under with giving everyone refunds. 

Royal Caribbean have now aborted the plan to get all over 70s and people with health conditions to get a doctor to sign their fitness to travel form.

34 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Royal Caribbean have now aborted the plan to get all over 70s and people with health conditions to get a doctor to sign their fitness to travel form.

Like the rest, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if it meant knowingly giving up potential revenues, but that said I wouldn't put too much faith in RCCL's ability to practice good moral judgement given their CEO recently took home a $14 million bonus from 2019 days after laying off 26% of the corporate workforce....but that's ok somehow because for 2020 he's allegedly not taking a salary or very little?!?

As for Ludlow's comments about new screening procedures and possible changes to the way the onboard operation is rolled out, I honestly believe this is just a case of pandering to the larger powers that be in order to at the very least attempt to show they've got a 'plan' in place to mitigate future PR disasters.  I'm sure its not been lost on anyone not living under a rock that as soon as the outbreaks happened on Diamond and Grand Princess, the President of Princess was out doing the charm offensive on social media because the reach is so much further than conventional news.  When HAL had their debacle recently there were all kinds of hash tag slogans popping up all over the place because thats the trendy thing to do when appealing to a mass market stuck at home glued to their devices.  And now the latest was the Carnival Corp CEO doing the rounds on cable news networks in America trying to downplay the fact that ships have proven to be very successful vectors for infectious illness, likening the risk of getting COVID-19 on a cruise ship to be the same as if you were in a restaurant or taxi. 

Now we've got Ludlow likening a reduced passenger capacity and so-called stringent health screening to paying for hand luggage on an airline?  I have to say its a woeful comparison which has missed the mark entirely as the only reassurance I think most people will have is when there's a proven vaccine, which will no doubt be mandatory to have prior to sailing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Captain_Morgan said:

Like the rest, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if it meant knowingly giving up potential revenues, but that said I wouldn't put too much faith in RCCL's ability to practice good moral judgement given their CEO recently took home a $14 million bonus from 2019 days after laying off 26% of the corporate workforce....but that's ok somehow because for 2020 he's allegedly not taking a salary or very little?!?

As for Ludlow's comments about new screening procedures and possible changes to the way the onboard operation is rolled out, I honestly believe this is just a case of pandering to the larger powers that be in order to at the very least attempt to show they've got a 'plan' in place to mitigate future PR disasters.  I'm sure its not been lost on anyone not living under a rock that as soon as the outbreaks happened on Diamond and Grand Princess, the President of Princess was out doing the charm offensive on social media because the reach is so much further than conventional news.  When HAL had their debacle recently there were all kinds of hash tag slogans popping up all over the place because thats the trendy thing to do when appealing to a mass market stuck at home glued to their devices.  And now the latest was the Carnival Corp CEO doing the rounds on cable news networks in America trying to downplay the fact that ships have proven to be very successful vectors for infectious illness, likening the risk of getting COVID-19 on a cruise ship to be the same as if you were in a restaurant or taxi. 

Now we've got Ludlow likening a reduced passenger capacity and so-called stringent health screening to paying for hand luggage on an airline?  I have to say its a woeful comparison which has missed the mark entirely as the only reassurance I think most people will have is when there's a proven vaccine, which will no doubt be mandatory to have prior to sailing.

Agree I think here until there is a vaccine people will not want to travel. Also of course this side of the pond we would need insurance companies to be happy to insure ,before people would seriously consider going back. We all know the grown ups can say what they like..until it is proven safe to sail people will not. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, the english lady said:

Agree I think here until there is a vaccine people will not want to travel. Also of course this side of the pond we would need insurance companies to be happy to insure ,before people would seriously consider going back. We all know the grown ups can say what they like..until it is proven safe to sail people will not. 

I have taken nearly 50 cruises over the last 25 years, incl over 30 with P&O. But I will not book another unless or until a travel insurer will give me cover for covid-19. I suspect that I am not alone in this.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Captain_Morgan said:

Excellent response thank you.

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

I agree - Ludlow is just putting a brave face on.

Many people on cruises are not in the best of health,  and have trouble walking 20 yards.  With a one way system,  (no overtaking!) that might entail a 200yard walk back to their cabin, the whole cruise would become a week long hokey cokey line! 

How many passengers get in a lift that is going down when they want to go up and vice-versa? There is no way a one-way system would be observed and respected by all the passengers on-board, especially on the crowded school holiday cruises that we are restricted to these days. There will always be a selfish few who don't care and think that they are immune from rules, for example reserving sun beds with towels is not allowed but it still happens every day. There is also no way that P&O could enforce it and the staff would not want any confrontation.

What an absolutely unthoughtful and impractical thing for Ludlow to say.

3 hours ago, Denarius said:

I have taken nearly 50 cruises over the last 25 years, incl over 30 with P&O. But I will not book another unless or until a travel insurer will give me cover for covid-19. I suspect that I am not alone in this.

You are not alone.  I will not be travelling abroad until there is a proven vaccine.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1