Best way to attract people back to P&O Cruises when some semblance of normality returns?

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

But with regard to CV19, a pandemic exercise carried out in 2018 [?] clearly identified the lack of PPE, but no action was taken to increase stocks. JIT is all very well, in a time of normality, but when you have a order/delivery time in excess of 8 weeks, and the lack of PPE has already been highlighted, to be caught short, so to speak, is indefensible, however you look at it. 

And yet most countries in the world are struggling to get adequate supplies, do you think every government should be flogging themselves, wearing hair shirts, and making groveling apologies?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

To sort of return to the thread, has anyone else noticed that the price differential between P&O and Princess cruises out of Southampton seems to be getting smaller? A combination of P&O increasing their prices,  and Princess reducing theirs ? I have a £500 deposit that I need to transfer to a P&O cruise, but I'm tempted to just forfeit it and cruise with Princess instead - better quality (imho) and now with only a slight price premium. 

Hi Wowzz,

yes, we have booked our first cruise with Princess (probably wont happen as its this year) as the price including drinks and tips was lower than a similar P and O trip. 

13 minutes ago, wowzz said:

To sort of return to the thread, has anyone else noticed that the price differential between P&O and Princess cruises out of Southampton seems to be getting smaller? A combination of P&O increasing their prices,  and Princess reducing theirs ? I have a £500 deposit that I need to transfer to a P&O cruise, but I'm tempted to just forfeit it and cruise with Princess instead - better quality (imho) and now with only a slight price premium. 

It may be worth a try emailing P and O asking if this is possible.About a year ago I transferred a deposit on a Cunard cruise to a P and O cruise after reading on this forum that others had done similar.Both my TA and customer services person said it wasn t possible but I emailed Cunard who said its not very common but they do allow it.Possibly won t work with Princess but maybe worth a try as both are Carnival brands?

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

And yet most countries in the world are struggling to get adequate supplies, do you think every government should be flogging themselves, wearing hair shirts, and making groveling apologies?

Obviously demand is outstripping supply at the moment. 

The point remains that the government were warned that stocks of PPE were too low, and took no action. So, yes, a grovelling apology would be a good starting point.

1 minute ago, ann141 said:

It may be worth a try emailing P and O asking if this is possible.About a year ago I transferred a deposit on a Cunard cruise to a P and O cruise after reading on this forum that others had done similar.Both my TA and customer services person said it wasn t possible but I emailed Cunard who said its not very common but they do allow it.Possibly won t work with Princess but maybe worth a try as both are Carnival brands?

Thanks for the suggestion. In normal times I would give it a try, but think it unfair to burden P&O staff at the moment.

I consider the £500 to be a "sunk cost", so think we will pick a 2021 cruise based on our own preferences, rather than choosing one based on  the £500 deposit. My wife, for one, will be delighted if we start cruising with Princess again.

48 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I have not looked at Princess but Iona for same time next year and same cabin is +£90. RCI and Celebrity are about the same as this year for Alaska, but with no perks. We will have a £2500 TUI voucher so had a look at Marella for next year. I must have looked at the wrong website. The price they wanted must have been for buying the whole ship, not just renting a room. God willing we will book a couple for next year, but not just yet and not till they get real with prices. Cornwall is starting to look like good value.

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I have not looked at Princess but Iona for same time next year and same cabin is +£90. RCI and Celebrity are about the same as this year for Alaska, but with no perks. We will have a £2500 TUI voucher so had a look at Marella for next year. I must have looked at the wrong website. The price they wanted must have been for buying the whole ship, not just renting a room. God willing we will book a couple for next year, but not just yet and not till they get real with prices. Cornwall is starting to look like good value.

Although we have never wanted to cruise on Marella,  I have from time to time checked out their prices. Unbelievably high - for those prices we could cruise on Viking or similar.

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Although we have never wanted to cruise on Marella,  I have from time to time checked out their prices. Unbelievably high - for those prices we could cruise on Viking or similar.

Just a quick question Wowzz ?

Did you ever get round to booking the Saga cruise  and if you did is it  still on the cards at a later date for you ?

4 minutes ago, kalos said:

Just a quick question Wowzz ?

Did you ever get round to booking the Saga cruise  and if you did is it  still on the cards at a later date for you ?

Yes, booked a 7 day cruise for March next year. Who knows if it will happen?

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Yes, booked a 7 day cruise for March next year. Who knows if it will happen?

Maybe,just maybe :classic_smile:lets hope so.

Mrs Kalos and I was watching a film of the Saga Spirit of Discovery  (We can wish )

Just reminded me that you were booked with Saga , thanks for reply .

23 minutes ago, kalos said:

Maybe,just maybe :classic_smile:lets hope so.

Mrs Kalos and I was watching a film of the Saga Spirit of Discovery  (We can wish )

Just reminded me that you were booked with Saga , thanks for reply .

Booked it to celebrate a significant birthday for Mrs W. Will be nice to travel in a virtually brand new ship (if it gets delivered on time), chauffeur to and from the port, and, of course, free drinks ! ( Yes, before anyone says anything, I know we will, in effect have paid for them in the price of the cruise).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Booked it to celebrate a significant birthday for Mrs W. Will be nice to travel in a virtually brand new ship (if it gets delivered on time), chauffeur to and from the port, and, of course, free drinks ! ( Yes, before anyone says anything, I know we will, in effect have paid for them in the price of the cruise).

Iona will still be quite new, or even brand new when we sail on her in August.

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Maybe so,  but just imagine how luxurious it will feel. A chauffeured car to and from port. No coaches and taxis. I'm not feeling envious . We'll not too much anyway 😊

Avril 

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

Maybe so,  but just imagine how luxurious it will feel. A chauffeured car to and from port. No coaches and taxis. I'm not feeling envious . We'll not too much anyway 😊

Avril 

We know when youre telling fibs Avril :classic_rolleyes:

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Iona will still be quite new, or even brand new when we sail on her in August.

I'm sure you'll have a great time, but much too big for us.

Just 900 pax on Saga.

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

I think Princess are offering some much reduced prices in comparison to the past.  Also, There is currently a very good deal to have tips included, premium drinks package and free wi-fi for, I think £35 a day.  They received the most adverse publicity over Covid-19 so I suppose they will need to do something to boost sales.  I have never sailed Princess out of the UK but had a fabulous cruise on Coral Princess in Alaska last year.

The Princess British Isles cruises, with the £35/day package later this year are fantastic itineraries and great value

Sadly, I think the prospect of them taking place are somewhere between 0.001% and zero

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

The Princess British Isles cruises, with the £35/day package later this year are fantastic itineraries and great value

Sadly, I think the prospect of them taking place are somewhere between 0.001% and zero

Worth a punt then? ☺️

5 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Not every government, no.  But take a look at an impartial view of the situation in the UK from the viewpoint of a quality Australian newspaper, the Sydney Morning Herald.  They have no political axe to grind, but they're clearly stunned by the failure to take timely action here, bearing in mind that we now have the worst death rate in Europe. It doesn't make pleasant reading, particularly for anyone who's lost someone in a care home.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/biggest-failure-in-a-generation-where-did-britain-go-wrong-20200428-p54o2d.html

'Biggest failure in a generation': Where did Britain go wrong?

14 minutes ago, Tommart said:

Not every government, no.  But take a look at an impartial view of the situation in the UK from the viewpoint of a quality Australian newspaper, the Sydney Morning Herald.  They have no political axe to grind, but they're clearly stunned by the failure to take timely action here, bearing in mind that we now have the worst death rate in Europe. It doesn't make pleasant reading, particularly for anyone who's lost someone in a care home.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/biggest-failure-in-a-generation-where-did-britain-go-wrong-20200428-p54o2d.html

'Biggest failure in a generation': Where did Britain go wrong?

Not exactly true - you need to allow for population size when calculating death rates.

Then of course countries report their statistics differently and you need to compare like with like.

I also think southern hemisphere countries need to exercise some caution. The northern hemisphere is far more heavily populated and this pandemic has hit during the northern winter.

One hopes that the 'south' doesn't get hit badly during their winter - time will tell.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

I think Princess are offering some much reduced prices in comparison to the past.  Also, There is currently a very good deal to have tips included, premium drinks package and free wi-fi for, I think £35 a day.  They received the most adverse publicity over Covid-19 so I suppose they will need to do something to boost sales.  I have never sailed Princess out of the UK but had a fabulous cruise on Coral Princess in Alaska last year.

That is not an offer due to COVID-19 it has been available for cruises from Southampton for a while way before COVID.