NCL is now putting crew at risk?

I just read a news article about crew members.  They are reporting that they are forced into room together and NCL is not caring much about keeping them distanced.  Is this must another way for NCL to try to save some money? 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8282685/Norwegian-Escape-cruise-workers-share-rooms-amid-coronavirus-pandemic-despite-big-space-availability.html

Sensationalism.  NCL Escape is a huge ship.  Even at max capacity, there's plenty of room.  IF NCL are actually making crew members room together (as they would ordinarily) then it's more a reflection of the company's hard line stance with their employees than anything else, IMO.  On Celebrity Edge, Captain Kate declared every crew member would get their own balcony stateroom until things got figured out...a nice little gesture to shore up morale.  Perhaps NCL could learn a thing or two about that.

• Like 1

A ship at sea (or anchored offshore) with no known cases, and no contact with the outside world is probably the safest place to be right now, with or without social distancing.  I've been on a ship since the beginning of March, and since no one onboard has shown any symptoms, we simply carry on business as usual, eating in communal mess halls, and working in close proximity to each other, without any masks.  We feel that we are in a separate universe to the rest of the world, really.  It is only when we have contact with people from shore that we take precautions, and now that crew changes are starting up again (yes, even US flag ships in US ports were not allowed to make crew changes), those coming onboard will have to wear masks and practice social distancing, for a 14 day period, but the rest of us will carry on as normal.  Does anyone who is living together in the US practice social distancing with the rest of their family?  I doubt it, because you've been together all this time, and none of you have any symptoms, so inside the house there is no social distancing.  A ship is the same thing.  All of the crew being moved from one ship to the next have been on ships quarantined for 14 days, and so as long as outside contact is minimized, contact inside can be normalized.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, megansdad1 said:

I just read a news article about crew members.  They are reporting that they are forced into room together and NCL is not caring much about keeping them distanced.  Is this must another way for NCL to try to save some money? 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8282685/Norwegian-Escape-cruise-workers-share-rooms-amid-coronavirus-pandemic-despite-big-space-availability.html

Well, consider the source - "dailymail.co.uk.  Media rated reputation of unreliable reporting, attention-seeking headlines, articles proven to be totally wrong, fabricated and/or false, as well as inadequate source supporting verification.

A more credible source is chengkp75 (see above post).

• Like 7

Perhaps my most favourite part of this article is the text under the photos - 

Images show a packed out deck and the small cabins workers are reportedly sharing on the Norwegian Escape... Crew said they feared for their safety and claimed the company doesn't care about them [as they partied late into the night]

27956930-8282685-image-a-15_1588554175741.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Formula280SS said:

Well, consider the source - "dailymail.co.uk.  Media rated reputation of unreliable reporting, attention-seeking headlines, articles proven to be totally wrong, fabricated and/or false, as well as inadequate source supporting verification.

So pretty much like CC and all of the internets, medias.  This day in age I dont know of one credible source of information.  (not saying some dont exist, that could be possible)  I have to sift through political nonsense, opinions, bias's in order to try to attempt to get a handle on subject matter

Edited by Newleno
  • Like 2

I'm glad to see the crews finally headed for home.  Hopefully the cruise lines are making sure the transfers are free of the virus and the mixing of the crews is not an issue.  I wish the crews well for all they have had to put up with.

46 minutes ago, jingle5616 said:

I'm glad to see the crews finally headed for home.  Hopefully the cruise lines are making sure the transfers are free of the virus and the mixing of the crews is not an issue.  I wish the crews well for all they have had to put up with.

Well at least you read title of the thread.

👌

2 hours ago, cruiser4801 said:

What NCL has shown us by their actions throughout the Pandemic is that

the only people NCL cares for less than its customers is its crew.

NCL's former loyal customers won't forget their actions. 

Could you identify a broad range of articles that appear based upon factual information to support such a statement?  Or, are you going on the link in this thread only. 

I don't intend to offend, but there are (IMO) almost 250,000-300,000 crew members on cruise line ships and there would appear to be more of such information is what the inflammatory article selectively source.

Further, why did the cruise ships leave the big three FL ports?  Many articles sight land-based political-medical-logistical reasons that precluded the crew from extraction to chartered airlines and even ship to shore and ship to ship movement 'at all.  So, without inviting US sanctions for US port time (a big underlying demand of many of political interests') the big three choose to huddle up at their private islands and begin a process to re-group crew for home linked destinations by use of their own cruise ships.

Damned if they and damned if they don't. 

They are, with regards to the US, "alone" as they are not flagged in the US and pay essential nothing in taxes and "some" are determined that they go out of business or are severely financially disabled, IMO.

I will reach out to a restaurant manager and pool/bar manager on the Bliss from our most recent cruise by email and get some of their thoughts.

Not really a fan of 'sources have told us, or a name or two, then headline seeking unscientific projection to the 250,000-300,000 crew population.

Again, all IMO.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Sensationalism.  NCL Escape is a huge ship.  Even at max capacity, there's plenty of room.  IF NCL are actually making crew members room together (as they would ordinarily) then it's more a reflection of the company's hard line stance with their employees than anything else, IMO.  On Celebrity Edge, Captain Kate declared every crew member would get their own balcony stateroom until things got figured out...a nice little gesture to shore up morale.  Perhaps NCL could learn a thing or two about that.

Just about every ship out there at the moment is utilizing the guest cabins for crew. It just so happened Captain Kate's got publicized. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiser4801 said:

What NCL has shown us by their actions throughout the Pandemic is that

the only people NCL cares for less than its customers is its crew.

NCL's former loyal customers won't forget their actions. 

Lol. How was this conclusion made? I'd love to know. 

Edited by romalley99

6 minutes ago, romalley99 said:

Just about every ship out there at the moment is utilizing the guest cabins for crew. It just so happened Captain Kate's got publicized. 

That's great to know!  Perhaps NCL are also doing this...who knows? I only referenced it in response to the suggestion that NCL were making crew sleep multiple to a cabins..thus endangering them.  

do some people here realy like that the crew have to share rooms these days? horrible

Tui Mein Schiff did collect the crew at Mein Schff 3. Now they have a positiv Corona crew Member and big problems.

46 minutes ago, Formula280SS said:

I don't intend to offend, but there are (IMO) almost 250,000-300,000 crew members on cruise line ships and there would appear to be more of such information is what the inflammatory article selectively source.

At normal operating times, there are about 180,000 crew on cruise ships.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Formula280SS said:

Thanks.  I "googled" the cruise line crew population and got that range; but I'll take your word for it.  😷

Mine comes from CLIA.  I believe yours includes the number of crew on vacation as well, which CLIA says totals about 224k.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

Again, the discussion is not about the crew going ashore, it is whether they are at risk being on the ship, without practicing social distancing.  CDC frankly doesn't care about the crew on the ships parked in the Bahamas, because that is not the CDC's concern.  Only when they wish to enter the US does it become the CDC's concern.  But, again, the topic is whether there is a risk to the crew, from the crew while onboard the ship.

Gotcha! But I guess I'm just saying that CDC is refusing to debark crew that has been isolated and asymptomatic for two months. So, presumably, they are of the belief that the risk is more than zero. Otherwise, they'd allow them to disembark for the reasons you correctly state. But we agree, CDC couldn't care less what foreign crew members do outside of US waters. 

6 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Gotcha! But I guess I'm just saying that CDC is refusing to debark crew that has been isolated and asymptomatic for two months. So, presumably, they are of the belief that the risk is more than zero. Otherwise, they'd allow them to disembark for the reasons you correctly state. But we agree, CDC couldn't care less what foreign crew members do outside of US waters. 

Just as I am experiencing on my ship, once you have a non-changing group, who don't display symptoms, the risk to one crew from another crew is very, very small.  However, even when we have been essentially quarantined onboard for over a month, once you introduce someone into the travel industry, all that quarantine goes out the window.  So, while the risk may still be there in the crew, and that risk may expand either from a crew member spreading once into travel, or that crew member getting it from someone during travel, the risk to crew who remain onboard is very slight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, blcruising said:

I believe part of that is because at this time the CDC would not take a cruise lines word that water is wet and the sky is blue.

They did at the start of the outbreak and were too late putting restrictions in place.

10 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

A ship at sea (or anchored offshore) with no known cases, and no contact with the outside world is probably the safest place to be right now, with or without social distancing.  I've been on a ship since the beginning of March, and since no one onboard has shown any symptoms, we simply carry on business as usual, eating in communal mess halls, and working in close proximity to each other, without any masks.  We feel that we are in a separate universe to the rest of the world, really.  It is only when we have contact with people from shore that we take precautions, and now that crew changes are starting up again (yes, even US flag ships in US ports were not allowed to make crew changes), those coming onboard will have to wear masks and practice social distancing, for a 14 day period, but the rest of us will carry on as normal.  Does anyone who is living together in the US practice social distancing with the rest of their family?  I doubt it, because you've been together all this time, and none of you have any symptoms, so inside the house there is no social distancing.  A ship is the same thing.  All of the crew being moved from one ship to the next have been on ships quarantined for 14 days, and so as long as outside contact is minimized, contact inside can be normalized.

Missed this from earlier.  Very good.

Can we all imagine if such highly managed precautions were made in the NY/NJ/CT area? 

Tri-airport passengers counts, for Jan-Feb (they have not published Mar (**) were 20 million); on and off the planes, gates, terminals, luggage, metro transport, etc.).

https://www.panynj.gov/airports/en/statistics-general-info.html

Subways, etc. open (not even cleaned until last week!!!!).

Then, this "area," let's call it Earth-Wuhan2, not only allows 20 million passengers to come and go, but doesn't lock down (Wuhan locked down to all of the rest of China) to protect the rest of the country?  They allowed those who could to "escape" to Long Island, Florida, Southern Eastern coastal states (and even NH, VT and ME)?

Does that make any sense?  

Certain theorists' view the cruise industry as the highest order of a petri dish; yet NYC tri-area, representing 2/3 of infections and deaths, are to be memorialized for their 'great response?  With the appropriate protocols, there would not have been the level of response so lauded.

20 million airport passengers Jan-Feb.  20 million.  Hundreds of thousands of infections and tens of thousands of deaths.

The political priority?

2 CCL subsidiary cruise ships, in the Far East, in the hundreds of deaths; and other cruise lines had 'some also.

This has a political pandemic factor that cannot be overlooked.

Oooops, forgot.  Let's keep the airlines open during March and April.  LOL.  

Edited by Formula280SS
  • Like 2