Princess Cancels All Fall French Polynesia Cruises on the Pacific Princess

capriccio

Princess announced additional Information on Impacted and Cancelled Cruises today (https://www.princess.com/plan/impacted-and-cancelled-cruises/?cid=dm_email_info_internal_announcement_precruise_pe0ms102h_200506_con,nam_7BA6HLRXXGOOGP2SDXG7LULYKQ&eccn=7BA6HLRXXGOOGP2SDXG7LULYKQ&rrid=600598914A&mi_u=600598914A).

The list includes all the fall 2020 (mid-September until the end of November) French Polynesia cruises on the Pacific Princess (their 680 passenger ship).  We were really looking forward to this cruise that we reserved on opening day and made all our reservations for private excursions a year in advance.  But I am more worried for the many Polynesians supported by the tourist industry.  I haven't seen anything about Paul Gauguin and Windstar cruises.  Are they still scheduled?  

We were booked on Pacific Princess October 15.  Just booked Windstar Wind Spirit October 15.  

Windstar is seven nights vs. original ten nights.  Went from Princess owner’s suite 900sf to Windstar Owner’s suite 200sf no balcony.  Slightly less expensive.  

Our traveling companions went from Princess balcony cabin 216sf to Windstar window cabin 188sf no balcony.  $200 more pp.

We both already purchased airfare and pre cruise lodging.  Now need post cruise rooms.

I hope the Windstar cruise works out for you. I have also considered Windstar as an alternate for Princess as Plan B.

I already have 5 nights booked (originally pre-cruise nights) on Moorea. My Plan A is to book a hotel and/or AirBnb on one of the other islands. I think there is a much higher probability that hotels will be open in Nov than cruises.

On 5/7/2020 at 10:36 PM, Heartfelttraveler said:

We were booked on Pacific Princess October 15.  Just booked Windstar Wind Spirit October 15.  

Windstar is seven nights vs. original ten nights.  Went from Princess owner’s suite 900sf to Windstar Owner’s suite 200sf no balcony.  Slightly less expensive.  

Our traveling companions went from Princess balcony cabin 216sf to Windstar window cabin 188sf no balcony.  $200 more pp.

We both already purchased airfare and pre cruise lodging.  Now need post cruise rooms.

I am sooooo happy for you! We did the 17 night Wind Spirit last November and it was the cruise of a lifetime. The small cabins look like you're going to be roughing it for a week, but the service and dining will knock your socks off. You won't regret the smallness.

Maybe you've done it before, but if not, the Coral Gardens tour on Motu Mahaea is fabulous- some of the most beautiful scenery and incredible snorkeling I've ever experienced. We did it 3 times last cruise and Windstar's tour was the best. It's only 3 hours so you still have plenty of time to enjoy Motu Mahaea. You at least need swim shoes though-. We thought we were overdoing it but someone here warned us about having gloves, rashguards and pants and were glad we had them. You can get by without but there were several people on our cruise who got nasty cuts on the rocks without. The current can flow very quickly.

I *think* it may have been you who raved about H2O Bora Bora some time back? Anyway we booked with them for next April already.

Happy cruising!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2020 at 7:07 PM, Petoonya said:

I am sooooo happy for you! We did the 17 night Wind Spirit last November and it was the cruise of a lifetime. The small cabins look like you're going to be roughing it for a week, but the service and dining will knock your socks off. You won't regret the smallness.

Maybe you've done it before, but if not, the Coral Gardens tour on Motu Mahaea is fabulous- some of the most beautiful scenery and incredible snorkeling I've ever experienced. We did it 3 times last cruise and Windstar's tour was the best. It's only 3 hours so you still have plenty of time to enjoy Motu Mahaea. You at least need swim shoes though-. We thought we were overdoing it but someone here warned us about having gloves, rashguards and pants and were glad we had them. You can get by without but there were several people on our cruise who got nasty cuts on the rocks without. The current can flow very quickly.

I *think* it may have been you who raved about H2O Bora Bora some time back? Anyway we booked with them for next April already.

Happy cruising!

Petoonya, I know that you are a big fan of Windstar. We were booked on one of the Pacific Princess 10 day cruises out of Papeete that has been cancelled. We were so looking forward to it, mainly based on many of your informative posts! My only fear with moving over to Windstar would be the motion on the boat. My DW suffers from motion sickness and uses the patch fairly well on our larger ship cruises. She has warned me that if she has a really bad cruise due to motion sickness, it will be her last. Seeing as I don't want to jeopardize all of our future cruising, I'm really concerned about the smaller ships and especially the sailing ships. What would your advice be with respect to motion on the Windstar ships? Many thanks for your input.

6 minutes ago, Dbld777 said:

Petoonya, I know that you are a big fan of Windstar. We were booked on one of the Pacific Princess 10 day cruises out of Papeete that has been cancelled. We were so looking forward to it, mainly based on many of your informative posts! My only fear with moving over to Windstar would be the motion on the boat. My DW suffers from motion sickness and uses the patch fairly well on our larger ship cruises. She has warned me that if she has a really bad cruise due to motion sickness, it will be her last. Seeing as I don't want to jeopardize all of our future cruising, I'm really concerned about the smaller ships and especially the sailing ships. What would your advice be with respect to motion on the Windstar ships? Many thanks for your input.

Awwwww Dbld777,

I hate to say it but Wind Spirit may not be the ship for you 😞 Generally the waters are smooth as glass but if you ever got into some stormy weather that would be the end of your cruising career. And neither of you want that. It's a crying shame because as you can see the WS prices are fabulous. I'm so sorry that the Pacific Princess was canceled- know that really hurt a lot of people. I'm not a fan of Paul Gauguin but in the minority here as so many contributors including Tahitian Big Kahuna LOVE it.

The other option is 10 day Regatta Tahiti on Oceania next March. Same ship as Pacific Princess but you move up a level as far as dining and service. The ship is drop dead gorgeous and 650 passengers. I'm still holding my 18 day on Regatta Tahiti-Hawaii-SF for next April as I can't seem to let it go. It is a very close second to Windstar in my heart, and the added benefit of little or no motion just like on P. Princess. Right now prices start at $2399 inside for the 10 day cruise only next March which is probably a lot less $ than Paul Gauguin for a heck of a lot of luxury. If the time works for you.....again it is a shame as WS prices are so amazing.

The other thing you might do just to be sure is post on the Windstar board about your circumstances and get some other opinions. Let me know how it all turns out. Good wishes. petuniafish at gmail dot com

Nancy