looking to book our first Cunard cruise

ratherbecruisin

I have over a dozen cruises with cunard and some trips the suit jacket only comes out once. Leave monster truck t shirts and ripped jeans home and respect the formal areas ........do not fear the GOD class lol

Thank you for asking this question and also all the answers.

We are looking ahead to doing a Transatlantic - Southhampton to New York.

My 13 year old son is obsessed with Titanic and that is his dream cruise. We both like dressing up. fancy dinners, so happy to hear this.

OMG !! You will love it then !!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

Booked first Cunard Cruise-for this Sept but cancelled and rebooked for oct 2021. Have 25 cruise on  Princess but have grown disenchanted with people wearing t shirts on formal nights. Dont mind dressing up. Hopefully most people will respect the dress code. 

22 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Booked first Cunard Cruise-for this Sept but cancelled and rebooked for oct 2021. Have 25 cruise on  Princess but have grown disenchanted with people wearing t shirts on formal nights. Dont mind dressing up. Hopefully most people will respect the dress code. 

Welcome to Cunard.  Yes, the dress code is respected.

There may now be no going back.  

You must try a pre dinner Signature Cocktail in the Commodore Club.

Remember, there are no restrictions on alcohol being brought on in Southampton, but best to put in your carry on.  Also, no alcohol restrictions at all ports.

4 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Welcome to Cunard.  Yes, the dress code is respected.

There may now be no going back.  

You must try a pre dinner Signature Cocktail in the Commodore Club.

Remember, there are no restrictions on alcohol being brought on in Southampton, but best to put in your carry on.  Also, no alcohol restrictions at all ports.

Flying from theUS so I would have to buy in Southampton. Booked a Princess Grill and I think some alcohol is included although I usually rebook when prices go down and the drinks are gone. At least thats what happened on Princess. 

11 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Flying from theUS so I would have to buy in Southampton. Booked a Princess Grill and I think some alcohol is included although I usually rebook when prices go down and the drinks are gone. At least thats what happened on Princess. 

The "of your choice" alcohol is in PG is not a total free choice, because you only choose from a limited small selection offered.

However, could purchase your top shelf favourite Duty Free in the USA prior to flight, or there are retailers in Southampton, from whom you can purchase on line and have delivered to your Hotel.  Remember, the heavy UK Duties and Taxes will up the prices considerably.

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

The "of your choice" alcohol is in PG is not a total free choice, because you only choose from a limited small selection offered.

There is no free bar set up in PG, only in QG. You must purchase all drinks apart from the dreaded PA

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jsailox said:

...The dressing up creates an amazing atmosphere, just go with the flow and enjoy the silliness of it all. 

To me, this is the point. When everyone is dressed formally, the atmosphere of the ship and the attitude of the people is different than they are when casual dress is prevalent. It feels different to be there and I feel different myself while I am there.

In my off-ship life, there are rarely occasions that call for formal dress. A very notable exception are the various fundraiser galas held by nonprofit groups we support (such as local theater groups and the symphony). The people that plan those galas know that if the entire crowd shows up in formal wear, the atmosphere will be more festive and people will have "grander" attitude toward themselves and the world. (For the fundraisers, formal events also mean it is somewhat easier to solicit contributions or get higher prices during auctions.)

Those who say that there should be no formal evenings fail to recognize this aspect, possibly from lack of exposure to it or possibly because they are immune to the effect. There is a huge difference between my wearing a tux when I am the only one doing so versus wearing it when everyone else is also.

• Like 1

It is not just the " dressing up" QM2 is whole different experience than what is on offer with RCI . The ships layout ( speaking only of QM2) is totaly different than that of a cruise ship.

Sailing QM2 is like stepping into a different age of cruising.

I dare to say, a bit like stepping back in time.

Traditions are kept up- a whole prommenade deck to walk around the ship- for some that is totaly unimportant- for me it is almost essential.

The first ship after the crisis i will step on will be a Cunarder- preferably my favorite ship out there QM2.

I started with RCI - then to X- and nowadays it is almost always Cunard- with the occasional X- cruise throwen in.

The way, first of all RCI went and then X followed, was no longer my idea of a cruise/ voyage!

Edited by Germancruiser

We are looking forward to getting back on QM2 in May of 2021.  We also cruise alot of RCI and Celebrity and a little disapointed in the lack of dress code enforcement.  We love to dress up and do on formal nights but it is sad when you are dressed and go into the dining room and your tablemate has shorts on.  

I love the teak decks on the Cunard ships along with the tea every afternoon in the Grand Ballroom.

Hope to be back on a ship very soon.