Cruise booked on board - postponing to 2022

broadwater

We booked our next cruise for next this October on board last year at a reduced deposit and with the proviso we could change the booking to another date if we wanted to, FOC. Due to the current circumstances we would now rather cruise in 2022. I have been told we would have to pay a new deposit for the replacement cruise and the existing deposit will be credited against the new booking. We are in the UK. Has anybody else had this scenario suggested? I would rather just 'flip' the deposit onto another cruise and not pay another £400.00 which was my understanding of the terms and conditions when we booked. I understand that conditions are difficult at the moment for cruise lines but I'm annoyed.... probably along with a lot of other people! We use a TA.

Odd. I booked a specific cruise while on Riviera last year using the reduced deposit, and I was told I could change the booking to a different at no cost or extra deposit - but only once. Upon arriving home, I rebooked to a different ship and didn't pay a dime. Could it possibly be a US vs UK issue?

It is a specific cruise. All rather odd. Beware booking on board with a promise or no strings transfer. i was told it's due to the exceptional circumstances at the moment. To me, it's just a way of obtaining more revenue from another deposit.

2 hours ago, samiam0403 said:

Odd. I booked a specific cruise while on Riviera last year using the reduced deposit, and I was told I could change the booking to a different at no cost or extra deposit - but only once. Upon arriving home, I rebooked to a different ship and didn't pay a dime. Could it possibly be a US vs UK issue?

Yes, we have done this (switched our deposit from one cruise booked on board to another).  We are also in the US.  

Edited by KS&JW

On board Riviera June 2019 we booked a cruise for Sept. 2020.  Last month I changed that booking to Sept. 2021, just moved the reduced deposit of $250PP over to the new cruise.  Both 2020 cruise and 2021 cruise were 14 days so the O'life choices were the same for both cruises. Same general cruising area- eastern Med. but Oceania was not offering the Premium Economy upgrade for 2021 as they had for 2020 --- but we had our own air booking that I'm still waiting on a flight change process- BA is currently only working their easy flight change program through July 31, 2020.

8 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Times they are a changing!

We only book FCC aboard. Keeps thing simpler.

That works ok if the cruise you want is not booking out more than a year in advance as these 2 cruises were and are....

1 minute ago, arima22 said:

That works ok if the cruise you want is not booking out more than a year in advance as these 2 cruises were and are....

We got ahead of the game. We booked the cruises we wanted that were available for booking. Now we buy FCC to use on bookings we want upon Initial release of the cruise. So we bought FCC last summer to use on cruises we would want that weren’t released until Fall. 

1 hour ago, broadwater said:

It is a specific cruise. All rather odd. Beware booking on board with a promise or no strings transfer. i was told it's due to the exceptional circumstances at the moment. To me, it's just a way of obtaining more revenue from another deposit.

Maybe a UK thing  or miscommunication between your TA  & O ?

We have only booked 1 cruise onboard  &  I am sure like the others here  you could move it  once  without  an issue

We had a cruise booked for July 2020.  When it came to pay the balance we didn’t want to pay the large amount for a cruise we knew wouldn’t be sailing.  Our travel agent moved our deposit to a new booking for 2022 no problem.   Not quite the same scenario as you I know, but thought I would let you know. 

9 hours ago, northengirl said:

We had a cruise booked for July 2020.  When it came to pay the balance we didn’t want to pay the large amount for a cruise we knew wouldn’t be sailing.  Our travel agent moved our deposit to a new booking for 2022 no problem.   Not quite the same scenario as you I know, but thought I would let you know. 

We did the same for our Dec 2020 South America cruise for the same reason, althought it might be sailing...had our TA move our  deposit to the nearly identical cruise in Dec 2021.  It went quickly and smoothly