Share wine at dinner

Gardendog

I did misunderstand your post. I truly did read it as saying it was rude not to share rounds under any circumstances. I see now that is not what you meant.

Please accept my apology.

FW&FS,

Celestia

Celestia,

NO APOLOGY NECESSARY!!!!!!!!!!:o

Lively discussion is all it is!

Stephen

Cheers, Berry. You explained what I thinking and trying to say about buying rounds. As far as eating soup et al, lol, I don't mind so long as people do it with minium (sp?) noise and aren't putting their feet on the table. My dh laughed then rolled his eyes that we are discussing this. I guess you have to be here to understand.

Prinsendam's (Stpehen's) suggestion about raising the issue outright is a brillant idea.

Very true. So perhaps the best thing to do is discuss the situation with the table, "Good evening everyone. We would like to enjoy wine during our dinner. Would you prefer to order your own wine or would you like to share with us and then reciprocate on the following night??

The answer can only be, "Sure, we would like to." Or, "Sorry we don't drink much and would prefer to order our own.

The important thing is that no one feels any pressure into buying wine for strangers or feels pressure into returning the shout.

Cruise ships are strange places and the rules have to be different from on shore.

Stephen

That is an excellent suggestion Stephen :)

I know some may feel awkward just coming out an asking, but at least you get it out in the open and then he who wants to go round for round can, and those that do not wish to don't have to. Then there are no hard feelings.

Reminds me of an old joke.

Someone asks a guy if his buddy has a drinking problem

"Yea " the friend says "He rarely buys " *LOL*

When I was on the Massdam in Oct. I had an inside room that I could barely afford and couldn't spend my money on anything else. When the gentleman at our table (who was in a suite) bought wine for everyone I was mortified because I knew that I could not afford to do the same. I appreciated his offer, but I was afraid I would have to reciprocate. I lied and said I didn't drink. Which got me out of offending them or having to buy. However I think lying is wrong, so it was a lose, lose situatin :-)

When I was on the Massdam in Oct. I had an inside room that I could barely afford and couldn't spend my money on anything else. When the gentleman at our table (who was in a suite) bought wine for everyone I was mortified because I knew that I could not afford to do the same. I appreciated his offer, but I was afraid I would have to reciprocate. I lied and said I didn't drink. Which got me out of offending them or having to buy. However I think lying is wrong, so it was a lose, lose situatin :-)

Chillen,

While I think you did the right thing to opt out, perhaps a better phrase would have been "No thank you" no explanation necessary.

I lied and said I didn't drink. Which got me out of offending them or having to buy. However I think lying is wrong, so it was a lose, lose situatin :-)
Well... you didn't really lie... you just failed to complete the sentence which would have been "I don't drink... other people's wine when I'm not in a position to reciprocate". Omitting a few extraneous details doesn't make the statement a lie, IMHO.;) Feel better now?:)

Chillen,

While I think you did the right thing to opt out, perhaps a better phrase would have been "No thank you" no explanation necessary.

No explanation SHOULD be necessary, but I've run into people that get very offended if you just say "no thank you". I seldom drink red wine as it is almost always followed by a bad headache. I had a "wine by the glass" package for dinner and would order white wine. We had table mates, that always drank red wine, and he would insist that I should try I glass of his red wine. Even after explaining that reds were a problem for me, he still insisted that I should try his, as perhaps I had been drinking the wrong reds. He didn't back off until I informed him that I felt it was rude to insist after being informed that I did not wish to share his wine.

One guideline about being polite is not to make other people feel uncomfortable. I think jumping into sharing a bottle of wine with 2,4,or 6 perfect strangers comes under that catagory. My DH and I have been on cruises were we and our table mates only drank iced-tea (trying not to spend a lot); traveling with dear friends where we shared many bottles; at a table for 8 where we all ordered our own; at a table for 6 where we were such good friends by the last two nights that we all shared wine and champagne; and on our last cruise where we wouldn't have wanted to share a drink with our tablemates. We didn't feel awkward in any of those situations because we didn't immediately offer and create an uncomfortable situation. I do agree sharing with unknown tablemates comes under the catagory of sitting next to someone at a bar or a dinner show.

I do have to say that this has been the most pleasant thread that I have read in a long time. Very civil. Could it be the wine? ;)

Thanks all!

Probably so... had we been discussing sharing beer, it would have been a free for all...:D

Ah that was just a little white lie. But you could have said, "Thanks, but nothing for me tonight." or "I'd prefer to order just a beer or a small glass of white wine." No one would be offended I'm sure.

Stephen

LOL! Thankfully beer comes in individual portions. Or do they have "pitchers" on the ships? ;)

But 'pitchers' are just enough for one. Not enough to share around.:rolleyes:

My first time in Australia... 1972. We arrived in a ship called SCOTSPARK in the port of Geelong near Melbourne. About ten of of went ashore and found a suitable drinking establishment. We noticed the way it was being done. A large pitcher of beer on the table and everyone helping themselves. When the waitress asked us what we wanted we said... 10 glasses, and TEN pitchers! Jolly Jack ashore!!!!

Stephen

Hopefully this will not be a problem for me. I just called and asked for a table for 2. The drawback is of course that we won't be making new friends. They just said that "we'll see what we can do". If there is no two top for us, it will still be all right.

Interestingly we just changed from a table for two to a larger table. We typically enjoy meeting new people and have made some great and lasting friends on our cruises. We used a new TA for our upcoming cruise and, probably thinking they were doing us a favor, requested and got a table for two. As for sharing wine. Yes and no. Yes, I've done it before and shared wine. No, I've done it before and not shared wine. Depends on the table and the folks....so far it's worked out either way.

Hi Greta,

I am sure you and your husband will ahve a wonderful cruise no matter what the outcome with the seating arrangements. You sound like you know how to have fun! Just "go with the flow" and enjoy. You will have a wonderful time if you have your own private table for two, as requested. My husband and I totally enjoy a private table unless we have friends along.

There are opportunities to meet other cruisers in many other settings besides dinner. Enjoy your alone time with each other and your wine with dinner and mingle at other times with the other passengers. I love the piano bars for meeting people!

Have Fun!

Take Care,

Denise

In the past, I always requested a large table when travelling alone or with my SO. Several bad experiences have taught me that a table for 2 is preferable unless I know exactly whom I am seated with. I was once seated at a table with a very large Hispanic family who spoke no English and did not even make an effort to say hello. Another cruise my girlfriend and I were seated with three honeymoon couples from Brazil, also who spoke no English. I have also had great tables but I think that less effort is made these days to really try and match passengers. When ships were smaller it was much easier for the cruise line.

I know that I have spent untold hours arrangiing seating for my group next month on ZUI.

I also find that, after a long day with lots of people everywhere, a table for 2 is a calm haven for a lovely dinner.

I seldom drink red wine as it is almost always followed by a bad headache.

Way off topic, but I was at a winery this weekend and got in a discussion w/the owner. He told me he always takes a Claritin before drinking red wine because they give him headaches, too. Good tip, I think!

Way off topic, but I was at a winery this weekend and got in a discussion w/the owner. He told me he always takes a Claritin before drinking red wine because they give him headaches, too. Good tip, I think!

You know what to say after getting the headache from too much alcohol?

WOW! I could have had a V8!!!!!!!!

Stephen :)

My one problem with sharing was this- we were at a table with a woman and two early 20's son's. She didn't drink and with her permission we offered her sons and they said yes, but barely took a sip. It's one thing to share, but another to watch a great bottle of wine go undrunk. Finally on day 4 I finally said to ask them if they were actually going to drink it before we poured. Guess they were just trying to be polite by saying yes, but had no interest in drinking.

We usually book a large table so there is a wider variety of people. Sharing doesn't seem to be as much of an issue with a table of 10 with most couples doing their own thing.

Might be akward with 2-3 couples. However, sharing would be great if everyone reciprocated. Think of the wines you could try!

LDinCT

Archived