Insurance cover for Covid-19

davemorton

Well it has started.  Just got an email from insurance company saying, although they wont cover you if you get it before setting off on holiday, they will cover it if you get it whilst away.  Its a start. 

Edit:  Hmmm, perhaps they all offer this anyway.  It is only covering emergency medical expenses and repatriation. (Staysure)

Edited by davemorton

1 minute ago, davemorton said:

Well it has started.  Just got an email from insurance company saying, although they wont cover you if you get it before setting off on holiday, they will cover it if you get it whilst away.  Its a start. 

I’d be interested to see the policy wording.  What’s the position if you contract it before you leave, but the symptoms appear while on the cruise? Have they given themselves room to repudiate a claim?

6 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I’d be interested to see the policy wording.  What’s the position if you contract it before you leave, but the symptoms appear while on the cruise? Have they given themselves room to repudiate a claim?

Not much I can find in the policy docs relating to it apart from under exclusions ....Claims arising from, or related to any coronavirus including but not limited COVID-19, or any related/mutated form of the virus. This exclusion does not apply to claims under the Emergency Medical and Repatriation Expenses section;...  But, did see this which I thought was most odd for a travel insurance product.....Section 17d Hole-in-one cover What is covered: We will pay you £300 if you score a hole-in-one (gross) during your trip.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, davemorton said:

Not much I can find in the policy docs relating to it apart from under exclusions ....Claims arising from, or related to any coronavirus including but not limited COVID-19, or any related/mutated form of the virus. This exclusion does not apply to claims under the Emergency Medical and Repatriation Expenses section;...  But, did see this which I thought was most odd for a travel insurance product.....Section 17d Hole-in-one cover What is covered: We will pay you £300 if you score a hole-in-one (gross) during your trip.

Now there’s a golfing challenge!

The Covid thing looks OK at first glance, subject to what’s included within the Emergency Medical and Repatriation Expenses section.  Is it the full medical cover section or a stripped down version?

12 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

They will cover you for Covid caught on your trip for medical expenses and repatriation.  They will not cover you if you catch it before the cruise and have to cancel.

Yep, as I said in the first post 🙂 

We are insured with AXA through one of the original big banks.  They will also cover for medical etc., but will not cover for cancellation or curtailment due to COVID.  Nothing would be covered at present though because of the FCO advice against travel.  We are not totally sure what would happen about holidays/cruises booked while the advice is in place, even if the advice changes before the holiday as the insurance with our annual policy is dependent upon the situation when the holiday is booked.  Becomes a bind if you have a number of hols booked over the previous couple of years as have to include special cover for almost everything we have seen a doctor for in that time when renewing premium.

We have booked a 5 nighter with another cruise company as we were able to use our deposit cost, rather than pay the balance.  Could just take out a single trip insurance for it though when balance is due next spring.

8 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

They will cover you for Covid caught on your trip for medical expenses and repatriation.  They will not cover you if you catch it before the cruise and have to cancel.

Whilst I assume P&O could avoid paying you any compensation under current t&cs in the above situation, I imagine that in the new covid world they would offer compensation, if only to ensure passengers don't try to hide any health issues. If I am right this would help allay some fears.