A Norwegian cruise ship worker who's been trapped at sea for more than 80 days shares his grueling experience

17 minutes ago, vpearlkc said:

Alcatraz had a great view ff the water.

Toured there.  Calling it a “view” of the water is true.  The kicker, it was cold, damp, dank and you lived in a real prison (and not a nice one).  Something tells me if we were offered an opportunity to get free fresh meals, a nice cozy bed to sleep in, A/C and heat as needed, a view of clear blue waters every day, a good amount of recreational diversions in what would be considered a luxury resort (albeit floating), there are quite a few of us who would take advantage.

The majority of the posts (videos) I’ve seen regarding the cruise ships self isolation would seem to be making literally the BEST out of a bad situation.  And, many would choose that life over the self quarantine in their own land based cities.

2 hours ago, vpearlkc said:

2 hours ago, vpearlkc said:

and the city, and the bridge, a great place to be holed up

Here's the choice for crew and the cruise lines.  Get permission to sail and dock at some area that will allow them to do both, let off the crew who wants to get off the ship, and let them find a flight, bus, car, train, etc to wherever their home is.  That's a big ask.

Or, allow the crew to stay on board, with free food, free accommodations, free use of all the ships' exercise and entertainment venues, free internet, free TV, with heavenly views outside every day and no virus infection possibility, etc.  Do that until this all blows over and the crew can get to an area which will allow them to get home.

Personally, I'd choose the latter, especially as a 20-something who doesn't mind an adventure.  

Some here, the mature older passengers, wouldn't dream of doing that.  Things go sideways?  You all want to retreat in what you consider the safety of your home town, regardless of the potential of the virus being more prevalent there.  That's not always possible in this situation.

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Here's the choice for crew and the cruise lines.  Get permission to sail and dock at some area that will allow them to do both, let off the crew who wants to get off the ship, and let them find a flight, bus, car, train, etc to wherever their home is.  That's a big ask.

Or, allow the crew to stay on board, with free food, free accommodations, free use of all the ships' exercise and entertainment venues, free internet, free TV, with heavenly views outside every day and no virus infection possibility, etc.  Do that until this all blows over and the crew can get to an area which will allow them to get home.

Personally, I'd choose the latter, especially as a 20-something who doesn't mind an adventure.  

Some here, the mature older passengers, wouldn't dream of doing that.  Things go sideways?  You all want to retreat in what you consider the safety of your home town, regardless of the potential of the virus being more prevalent there.  That's not always possible in this situation.

Well said, I agree with this myself..

• Like 1

I'm a journalist in San Francisco hoping to learn more about the crew members who are still onboard the Norwegian Jewel, the Norwegian Regatta, and the Oceania Seven Seas Mariner, all docked at the Port of Oakland. 

Does anybody know know people still onboard?

image.png

6 minutes ago, sfjourno95 said:

I'm a journalist in San Francisco hoping to learn more about the crew members who are still onboard the Norwegian Jewel, the Norwegian Regatta, and the Oceania Seven Seas Mariner, all docked at the Port of Oakland. 

Does anybody know know people still onboard?

image.png

The Regatta is an Oceania ship.  Seven Seas Mariner is a Regent ship.