Let's talk FOOD!

Scratchrat

On 6/11/2020 at 9:57 AM, wowzz said:

When youre young and healthy, there are, imho, better ways of seeing the world. 

That's what we did. We explored all over the far east while we were healthy enough and only had to finally stop in 2007 when we were 60 and 62. Now it's exploring a different continent at a more leisurely pace, but no less interesting. We're only thankful we can still do it. 

Avril 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

That's what we did. We explored all over the far east while we were healthy enough and only had to finally stop in 2007 when we were 60 and 62. Now it's exploring a different continent at a more leisurely pace, but no less interesting. We're only thankful we can still do it. 

Avril 

I have seen a lot less of the world since we started cruising, but for us, the onboard experience outweighs the importance of the ports. 

Andy 

21 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I have seen a lot less of the world since we started cruising, but for us, the onboard experience outweighs the importance of the ports. 

Andy 

We'd hardly seen hardly anything of Europe, once to Mallorca and once to Kos. Then we dicovered Malaysia etc. and we were hooked. So now this area is all new to us. We still like to explore new places that we visit. The HOHO buses are great or we take a gentle stroll from the ship. The inquisitive gene is still alive and well, we just have to take it at a more leisurely pace. 😉

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

Yes, Malaysia,  Thailand, Sri Lanka etc. Would still be going there now, but the 16 hours flights and the jet lag take their toll a bit more these days!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Yes, Malaysia,  Thailand, Sri Lanka etc. Would still be going there now, but the 16 hours flights and the jet lag take their toll a bit more these days!

Exactly. The jet lag. The heat now as well for us. Frank won't fly anymore after a panic attack on the plane back from Borneo,  but we still miss that part of the world. The longest flight for us was Bali, but worth every hour. You sound like us wowzz with a love of that part of the world. 

Avril 

On 6/9/2020 at 10:46 AM, terrierjohn said:

What about fish Jean?  The recent P&O menus seemed to have far more fish than meat dishes.

Yes I do eat the fish when it appeals.  Strangely, I reluctantly ordered lemon sole one day and it was just beautiful.  On the other hand, tried the barramundi and it was grey and not nice at all.

The Beach House doesn't do it for me either.  Used to love Sorrento when they had it on Oriana, superb Italian food.  The barbecue rubbish in the beach house is not for me.  would love some Italian dishes in the evening and more Indian.  They do that so well.

3 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes I do eat the fish when it appeals.  Strangely, I reluctantly ordered lemon sole one day and it was just beautiful.  On the other hand, tried the barramundi and it was grey and not nice at all.

The Beach House doesn't do it for me either.  Used to love Sorrento when they had it on Oriana, superb Italian food.  The barbecue rubbish in the beach house is not for me.  would love some Italian dishes in the evening and more Indian.  They do that so well.

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity have nice Italian restaurants. I don't know why P&O can't  but at least P&O don't do much sushi.

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Iona is going to have an Italian/med restaurant, The Olive Grove

Thanks. I'll try that as soon as they start cruises again. November to the Canaries probably😁

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zap99 said:

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity have nice Italian restaurants. I don't know why P&O can't  but at least P&O don't do much sushi.

Isn't Cafe Jardin an Italian restaurant,  despite its name? 

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Isn't Cafe Jardin an Italian restaurant,  despite its name? 

Isn't that only on Oceana?. Not been on her. Looks like the Olive Grove on Iona will be our next Italian on a ship. Our cruise to Alaska on Celebrity Eclipse leaves Vancouver this evening.  NOT.☹️

On 6/8/2020 at 9:43 AM, Scratchrat said:

So as some of you know, I've only ever cruised with Carnival before now and only just booked my first ever P&O Cruise.

I am sure there are differences between how things work on different ships and brands and my partner keeps asking me questions about the food so I suggested I'd ask them here!

My partner is rather fussy with food and will often not want any of the options for one or more of the courses. If they were to ask for 3x starters instead of a main course for example, would this be doable/normal to ask?

Are you restricted to 1 starter, 1 soup, 1 main, 1 dessert or could someone have 2 main courses if they couldnt choose? (Ignore the gluttony aspect for now!)

I don't know about you all but I like to treat the MDR as my little experiment. I am a creature of habit in restaurants at home, I want to try new things but I don't like paying for things I end up disliking, so on a cruise, I use the MDR to try new things, on the understanding that if I don't like it, I haven't lost anything and I've tried it! Does anyone else do this?

Do people find the specialty restaurants worth the cost? We tend to do specialties once or twice a cruise on Carnival as a treat, usually when we're not too fussed on the MDR menu.

On that note, do they advertise the MDR menu/s in advance?

Thanks all 🙂 Let's start getting hungry in this thread 😄

yes I use the cruise to puush myself to try new things but even then I have limits. 

I am fussy too and put I think there was always something on our last cruise I would pick. 

the dinners are hit and miss to each persons taste I suppose. Some dinner we had were lovely and some weren’t. 

im sure if I had moaned they would have fetched something different, same as I think they would probably have given me a starter for a main etc if that’s what we had said. I know the kids always got exactly what they asked for even when it was broccoli with chicken nuggets but then I found they were really extra specially good with the kids than most places. 

they put the menu up in the morning. 
I used to take a picture on my phone of it and we could decide before we ate. 

I like sindhu and the beach house. They were both quite good but sindhu was better imo. Haven’t tried the others. 

On 6/11/2020 at 10:00 AM, Scratchrat said:

Remember that not all "young" people are the same, just like we'd all be fools to assume that the older cruisers on here are all boring old farts 😛

Me and my other half are quite particular about home comforts. We wouldn't want to do backpacking, or travelling like that. We like nice hotels, cruises and stuff like that.

We do go to Disney World in Florida for 2 weeks every 2 years and do 1-2 cruises a year when we can.

In 2010 when we went on the first cruise, we thought it would be boring and like butlins at sea but we had a blast and we were in our 20's going to bed at 10pm cos we were exhausted! The old folks were still singing in the piano bar when we were in bed!

wow. Your two years older than me an practically have the same holidays. Disney and cruises 😂 

we have inside cabins so far. Have a balcony for the fjords so we can watch as we pass through. 

not sure what you mean about what you can do in an inside cabin. 😆 

we went in 2012 on our first cruise too and we didn’t party hard half As much As All the older folk 

8 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

wow. Your two years older than me an practically have the same holidays. Disney and cruises 😂 

we have inside cabins so far. Have a balcony for the fjords so we can watch as we pass through. 

not sure what you mean about what you can do in an inside cabin. 😆 

we went in 2012 on our first cruise too and we didn’t party hard half As much As All the older folk 

You know exactly what I mean about what you can do in an inside cabin, you have 2 kids for a reason! 😛

Let’s have imaginary dinner (you can tell I am getting bored) 

this is tonight’s menu

D08E66A5-9F41-41D7-B1B1-08E8237AD25C.thumb.jpeg.9e4edab1936a1c1d54008f78d6daea87.jpeg

0A408AC9-7369-41AC-B65E-F440421FC147.thumb.jpeg.13cbc470bb4de749539176367625862c.jpeg

I would have 

tomato soup
chicken breast buttermilk batter

Sticky toffee pudding with honey and ginger ice cream. 

Hubby

crab and leek pasties 

chicken breast buttermilk batter
Sticky toffee pudding
coffee

maybe cheese and biscuits 

join me in my virtual MDR

Edited by Vampiress88

9 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I will have,

Crab & leek pasties

Cannon of Lamb 

Passion fruit Pavlova

a bottle of Malbec

and maybe the Cheeseboard

pavlova sounds nice. 

I don’t really do lamb other than kebab. 

never used to this posh food

I will have ...

Tomato soup

Chicken breast or the sirloin

Followed by a trip to a nearby bar   

and finish the night off with chip butty in the buffet  (if it still exists)

Don't do puddings  hence the bar .