Antarctica Late December

mlockhart

My husband and I are booked on a late December cruise to Antarctica. We are from the United States. I have held off buying airline tickets as Argentina hasn't even opened to foreign travelers. Anyone have an inkling on when Hurtigruten will make the call as to whether the cruise will go or be canceled? Their website says they will let you know within 3 weeks of sailing, but I am really hoping for a decision well before that timeframe. 

1 hour ago, mlockhart said:

My husband and I are booked on a late December cruise to Antarctica. We are from the United States. I have held off buying airline tickets as Argentina hasn't even opened to foreign travelers. Anyone have an inkling on when Hurtigruten will make the call as to whether the cruise will go or be canceled? Their website says they will let you know within 3 weeks of sailing, but I am really hoping for a decision well before that timeframe. 

I haven't booked this cruise for the same reason.  I was thinking of going in January or February 2021.

When we sailed Hurtigruten two plus years ago it was from Chile. We never had an Argentinian port. I'm guessing that's changed.

I try to not give 'opinions' but I can't believe that any cruise line would go to Antarctica this coming season. If anything goes awry you could be in deep trouble. As others point out, my worst nightmare (well, maybe not the worse but....) would be being quarantined on a cruise ship. Especially 'down there.' I'd wait a year. But that's just my never humble opinion 🙂

1 hour ago, clo said:

When we sailed Hurtigruten two plus years ago it was from Chile. We never had an Argentinian port. I'm guessing that's changed.

I try to not give 'opinions' but I can't believe that any cruise line would go to Antarctica this coming season. If anything goes awry you could be in deep trouble. As others point out, my worst nightmare (well, maybe not the worse but....) would be being quarantined on a cruise ship. Especially 'down there.' I'd wait a year. But that's just my never humble opinion 🙂

I understand your thinking.  But isn't 2022 the last year that ships can sail to Antarctica?  I'd be ok quarantined as I sail solo BUT I'd had to have a balcony which I can not afford (plus the flights from E. Canada) to sailing into these waters.  Maybe I'll have to wait to the end of 2021 or early 2022.

2 minutes ago, Sue from Canada said:

But isn't 2022 the last year that ships can sail to Antarctica? 

I haven't read anything about that. Any info you can give? 

Regarding quarantine, I should have expanded my reply. I was talking about some of the nightmares of a few months ago. Cruising and cruising trying to find a port that will accept them. And if you "get it" down there you won't be close to getting adequate medical care.

On 6/11/2020 at 6:09 AM, Sue from Canada said:

But isn't 2022 the last year that ships can sail to Antarctica? 

That's only for some ships, not all of them. Hurtigruten's ships comply to the regulations allowing them to keep on sailing to Antarctica (mostly regulations about the type of engine and fuel). That concerns mostly bigger ships that do "cruise-by".

• Thanks 1

MLockhart - Where are you flying from?  If your gateway airport is Atlanta - Delta flies R/T nonstop to Buenos Aires and has some great pricing.  Also, they have some pretty good cancel/change protection to book during these uncertain times.   If you are willing to take the risk, Latam has even better pricing.

We booked last spring/summer for December 7 sailing (actually leaves December 8 with one night precruise) and are still planning on going. 

We booked our airfare on Latam R/T from Miami last January at a really good price.  Although Latam has filed reorganization bankruptcy, they are still flying,  And hopefully will still be flying in December.

Argentina and Hurtigruten may still require a COVID-19 negative test prior to sailing.  Here in Georgia, that should not be a problem.

We went to an Atlanta Mall Saturday to the Apple Store (Computer problems) and they only had one entrance open.  Also, had to have my temperature taken to get into the store.  I am guessing international travel will require even more.

Safe Travels no matter what you decide.

Thanks for your response. I was only looking at Miami as a RT to Buenos Aires, good to know that there is a non stop out of Atlanta. We are flying out of Indy, so Atlanta would be very easy for us. 

I think the biggest concern right now is around the borders opening into Argentina. That has to happen before anything else can happen. I would not be adverse to getting a Covid test prior to cruising. In fact,  I would prefer it!

6 hours ago, mlockhart said:

Thanks for your response. I was only looking at Miami as a RT to Buenos Aires, good to know that there is a non stop out of Atlanta. We are flying out of Indy, so Atlanta would be very easy for us. 

I think the biggest concern right now is around the borders opening into Argentina. That has to happen before anything else can happen. I would not be adverse to getting a Covid test prior to cruising. In fact,  I would prefer it!

When we go to South America we connect and fly nonstop out of Houston.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2020 at 9:35 AM, SarniaLo said:

That's only for some ships, not all of them. Hurtigruten's ships comply to the regulations allowing them to keep on sailing to Antarctica (mostly regulations about the type of engine and fuel). That concerns mostly bigger ships that do "cruise-by".

Thank you for clarifying this.  Antarctica is the last cruise on my bucket list and I'm not getting any younger😄