US not to open their borders for a long long time?

On 6/14/2020 at 8:02 PM, bigrednole said:

Placebo and completely ineffective as a vaccine in my opinion are the same thing. We are years away from a vaccine and they will pump this out as a magic bullet to satisfy someone. It is not and will not be the vaccine.

And your expertise in vaccines?  And immunology?  And pharmaceutical production and sales?

It seems it must be extensive, you STATE that a vaccine will not be available for YEARS.  

And why would anyone distribute a "completely ineffective" vaccine?

Will the early vaccines be lifetime immunity? Probably not.  But that is not "completely ineffective."

On 6/16/2020 at 8:33 PM, mpk said:

Is the United States the "hotspot"?   I think it is the hotspot of poor reporting in the press.  Sure, it has the highest total number of cases:

image.png.281a6e2d511b1a3e46455c0f2142e212.png

But it has a large population.  Per capita, a somewhat different picture:

image.png.5cd6c6faf0865a1058c40967eb038912.png

And the mortality rate:

image.png.a92372c13db894f76b5e14d3974cae38.png

Add to all that, a difference in eagerness to count cases.  There are budgetary reasons to perhaps over count cases.  And political ones to not count (or even test).  So every country is using a much different ruler.  Heck, this even applies to the individual States- they are not all tallying the same way.

Hotspot?  That's what the nightly news keeps hammering out every day.  The truth is somewhat different  🙂

Also, we are a physically large country.

So the original hot spots are calming down, but areas that had very few cases so far, are moving up.  

So while we are pretty flat based on new cases per day, based on a 5 day running average, the distribution of those cases is not static.

#1 No drug released without full trials and verification of side effects will be effective. You will have to sign waivers of liability to take a drug that could cause heart failure 4 months after taking it in 40% of the cases. But they will be immune to lawsuits because the government and media made so much fear that people thought they had to take it. 

#2 The chances of a company randomly coming up with a cure in a few short weeks and launching a vaccine in 3 months is the stupidest thing ever heard. Fully tested and FDA approved drugs for regular ailments come with 308 pages of potential side effects that require you to consult your physician on each one prior to taking it. Why do pharmaceuticals do that? To protect them from liability. The same will hold true for any vaccine for Covid 19 before 2022. Imagine 40% of people with Type A+ blood will die within 4 months of taking it because it is not fully tested (not saying it will, but it is untested and everything is unknown). Based on rough math, that would be 50M people (based on 34% of the population have A+ blood type). Yes, that is a great alternative. 200k deaths from Covid 19, but 50M deaths because you were made to take an untested vaccine for Covid 19. Yes, I will take my risks with Covid-19 with a mortality rate of 0.003%. I will much rather have odds of 0.003% vs 13%. See how many people would be willing to line up in front a gun, pull the trigger with a 1-in-8 chance of dying. Or, have the option right next to it with a 1-in-33,000 chance.

I am not an antivaxxer, but I am 100% for fully tested vaccines and medications. I am also 100% onboard that you are 1000x more likely to die in a fiery car crash going to the grocery store than you are from dying of Covid-19. You are also far more likely to die from a falling coconut than you are from Covid-19. Let that sink in. 

Just because a drug has not gone thru 4 years of study, does not mean it won’t be effective.  And just because it does go thru years of study, does not mean it is safe - Zantac and many others that have been pulled years after approval for causing health issues.

2 hours ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Just because a drug has not gone thru 4 years of study, does not mean it won’t be effective.  And just because it does go thru years of study, does not mean it is safe - Zantac and many others that have been pulled years after approval for causing health issues.

And that is why a vaccine with a lot of political push behind it makes me more than a bit concerned.

On 6/18/2020 at 6:15 AM, Jenjer said:

Last I looked it was June 22 but that is not a surprise. There goes our idea of a little trip to Niagara falls, cause we all know you have the good falls in Canada. 

Even if you come across the border and it is open to non-essential travel you will have to provide proof of how you will isolate for 14 days.   People are losing their minds here at seeing American plates.   

the border won’t realistically open until rates in America fall.  Significantly.   Here in BC I think we had 11 or 12 new cases yesterday.    WA had ~400.    The govt has no interest here in allowing Americans over the border - and Canadian border agents have turned away ~7,500 travellers trying to come up for shopping/sightseeing.  

it sucks.   We had major travel planned and have cancelled 4 significant trips.  But until things settle down no one is going anywhere.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1