US not to open their borders for a long long time?

18 hours ago, amurray88 said:

On the news today it said a White House official stated it wouldn't be weeks but instead long months or possibly until a vaccine is found (surely not right?) when the US will open its borders to internationals from Europe/UK.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/12/which-countries-are-open-for-summer-travel-after-coronavirus.html    This link provides a list of which countries are allowing travel.   As you will see, majority of these countries are Not allowing US travelers just like we are not allowing them into the US.   Most are only allowing "pockets of travel" within their own regions.     This list does Not even show the ones that require a 14-day quarantine upon arrival into their country.  

Everything changes every week with this very fluid situation.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Airbalancer said:

They were actually partially right. Canadians can still FLY to the U.S. They just can't cross the land border.  (I like many assumed we could not fly; because the airlines stopped flying into the US)
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/u-s-travel-restrictions-covid-19-land-border-fly-1.5607741

25 minutes ago, Meekomist said:

They were actually partially right. Canadians can still FLY to the U.S. They just can't cross the land border.  (I like many assumed we could not fly; because the airlines stopped flying into the US)
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/u-s-travel-restrictions-covid-19-land-border-fly-1.5607741

Yes it's the LAND border that is closed, Canadians can still fly in.  Yes there are still flights to the US out of Toronto, they just have cut the number.  We just checked on flights out of YYZ on Travelocity to the US, Air Canada, Delta and a few others flying to the major US cities. 

Air Transat is flying now out to Spain, Italy as they open again.  The only thing is that Canadians have to 14 day self-isolate on return.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Meekomist said:

That is all pretty crazy 

“Canadian travellers also likely won't have to self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that international travellers do so, but it's not a requirement unless specified by a particular region or state. For example, Hawaii requires that air passengers self-isolate for 14 days. 
But when you return Canada they must quarantine for 14 days”

🥴

9 hours ago, Meekomist said:

Alaska Airlines is flying out of Vancouver into various locations in the US.  I don't know about other airlines but Alaska is my airline of choice and I have tix booked with them.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 8:54 AM, Georgia_Peaches said:

No way this is the case.  Not effective?  maybe...but placebo, no way.

And the difference is?

On 6/15/2020 at 9:47 AM, Ocean Boy said:

Why is it sad? I don't see anyone saying it is sad that Australia is shut down for the rest of the year.

Those of us that live to travel do indeed think its sad but there has been no such announcement.  Cruise ships (>100 pax) have been suspended until 17 September but flights between Singapore and NZ are only weeks away.

21 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

They are shut down to the U.S. for the rest of the year as it stands right now. I should have been more specific in my previous post.

Still not true.  Although it may end up happening, there has been no such announcement and things are very fluid with talk of a bubble that includes Hawaii.

3 hours ago, banzaii said:

And the difference is?

A placebo is designed to have no medicinal value at all...a sugar pill of sorts.  OTOH, a vaccine will be formulated with properties designed to create an immunity to a given virus.  The difference is, with a vaccine there's a chance.  With a placebo, there is not. Unless of course, you want to talk about the "placebo affect", but I digress...

Your point is well taken, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Airbalancer said:

Canadian. - USA border closed until July 21 

Land border,  by car, train or ferry, but you can still fly 

US citizens from the start of this thing have never been stopped from entering the UK. Just last week they introduced a 2 week self isolating rule which is basically sign a form on entry that you agree to it, put any address you like (just make one up) and then go on your way. As it's an absolute joke, the rule is not expected to last long.

1 hour ago, eastender said:

US citizens from the start of this thing have never been stopped from entering the UK. Just last week they introduced a 2 week self isolating rule which is basically sign a form on entry that you agree to it, put any address you like (just make one up) and then go on your way. As it's an absolute joke, the rule is not expected to last long.

In Canada , they do call you to check And possible go and check on you 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 6:47 AM, danv3 said:

As long as the US remains the global hotspot--and there's no sign of that changing--it's pretty unlikely Americans will be welcomed at many international destinations for some time.

Is the United States the "hotspot"?   I think it is the hotspot of poor reporting in the press.  Sure, it has the highest total number of cases:

image.png.281a6e2d511b1a3e46455c0f2142e212.png

But it has a large population.  Per capita, a somewhat different picture:

image.png.5cd6c6faf0865a1058c40967eb038912.png

And the mortality rate:

image.png.a92372c13db894f76b5e14d3974cae38.png

Add to all that, a difference in eagerness to count cases.  There are budgetary reasons to perhaps over count cases.  And political ones to not count (or even test).  So every country is using a much different ruler.  Heck, this even applies to the individual States- they are not all tallying the same way.

Hotspot?  That's what the nightly news keeps hammering out every day.  The truth is somewhat different  🙂

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Airbalancer said:

In Canada , they do call you to check And possible go and check on you 

In England and NI we do that as well.  No answer a few times then perhaps a visit by the police, can't find you well we do know your passport number for next time

Be aware that it requires a twofold opening of borders: if the USA re-opens but another country still keeps the USA on its pandemic list, the travel health insurances will not cover any pandemic-related sickness nor backhaul

On 6/16/2020 at 1:25 PM, Airbalancer said:

Canadian. - USA border closed until July 21 

Last I looked it was June 22 but that is not a surprise. There goes our idea of a little trip to Niagara falls, cause we all know you have the good falls in Canada. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jenjer said:

Last I looked it was June 22 but that is not a surprise. There goes our idea of a little trip to Niagara falls, cause we all know you have the good falls in Canada. 

That's too bad because we live in Ohio and the falls are close enough to drive to but can't do that.  I keep trying to come up with a nice little trip we could take this summer where we can drive.

On 6/15/2020 at 9:51 AM, nelblu said:

It's for everyone's protection.  We were the first to shut our borders and probably will be the last ones to open, except for commerce.

I wonder if they'll ever find the Adam or Eve causing this pandemic.  I  saw a program either on the History or Smithsonian channel that identified an individual in Kansas that was the Adam of the Spanish Flu.  

We were definitely not the first to close our borders, and it was done sporadically and ineffectually. I knew someone who came in from Spain on the last day before they stopped flights - they were given a handout about self-isolating, no actual medical screening.  

6 hours ago, Jenjer said:

We visited NF twice from US side when we and then our friends did not have green card (or was it passport?) yet and then several years ago we went to Canadian side and stayed in Niagara Falls Marriott Fallsview Hotel & Spa.

Of course it was amazing to have such a close view of NF, but it was fun all three times. You will see it anyway and also you can take a boat trip to get almost under the falls.

Edited by Tatka

As for COVID19 I have this feeling that we are greatly over-reporting as any death is count as COVID19 death if person was infected. In most of other countries not all dead people even checked for COVID19.

Yup Canadian Border is closed until July 21.  I love going to Buffalo to shop, and on to Rochester and the great malls there.  Too bad about JC Penny I really liked those stores.  Boo Hoo.  I miss my trips.  But to keep us all safe.  I really think the border should be closed until Sept 21 or Oct 21.   Our rates are falling in Ontario.  And I want to keep it that way.  Call me selfish but that is how I feel.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pink845 said:

Yup Canadian Border is closed until July 21.  I love going to Buffalo to shop, and on to Rochester and the great malls there.  Too bad about JC Penny I really liked those stores.  Boo Hoo.  I miss my trips.  But to keep us all safe.  I really think the border should be closed until Sept 21 or Oct 21.   Our rates are falling in Ontario.  And I want to keep it that way.  Call me selfish but that is how I feel.  

Your not selfish. I have relatives in Toronto who feel the same.

• Like 1