April 2021 cruise.

jillyf

We have had a call from SS with a good deal for a cruise next April on the Muse.  Airfares are a very good deal as well as some discounts. 
We have to get travel insurance as we are over 70 with some health problems. 
We cancelled a cruise in September 2021 on Regent with basically the same cruise in reverse and are feeling regretful but could rebook I’m sure. 

Do you think the cruise industry will have recovered by then, or should we wait till September?  
If we don’t book in the next few days are the offers likely to be available for the next month or two. We are feeling a bit of pressure. 
If we book through SS, can we have our booking transferred to our travel agent?  We haven’t talked to her about it, in fact we hadn’t considered another cruise until the SS sales phone call this afternoon. 

It's interesting to hear that SS are cold calling you with an offer - haven't seen that in a while. I assume it is one of the two scheduled cruises in Japan?

To my mind it is a question of how risk averse you are. No one can really answer your question with any certainty. It  is possible that things will be better then and SS will be sailing but who knows with certainty?  Whether there are good offers going forward depends on what demand is like. Clearly, it is not strong across the industry at the moment.

I'd feel more confident if your cruise was in Australia/New Zealand.

Our approach is to wait until we are quite clear that there is a vaccine or infection risks are very low as it is unlikely that as Australians we'll get an insurance policy that covers us against CV19.  If that means missing cruises or overseas land vacations then so be it.

• Like 1

Thanks Turtle, we have decided not to commit yet. Will wait to see what the future looks like and how likely we are to arrange insurance.   The business class fares were very good,$A999 return or "free" economy. 

We are giving serious consideration to a June Baltic cruise.
It’s a good deal but in the end, to get the 10% EBD, it needs to be booked next week. Knowing our luck the deal will be extended but ....
The last one we booked extended the 10% offer, and kept the suite prices the same, for several months after we paid up front. That tactic does annoy me.

1 hour ago, jillyf said:

Thanks Turtle, we have decided not to commit yet. Will wait to see what the future looks like and how likely we are to arrange insurance.   The business class fares were very good,$A999 return or "free" economy. 

That is a good fare for a return BC fare.  Are you able to say the cruise fare/type they were offering?

Not sure what you need, but here is our quote. I hope this shows you our offer. 
I see you are from Melbourne. We now live in Geelong. 

79493-20
Silver Muse
Tokyo, Japan Vancouver, Canada
SM210419014 Tokyo, Japan Tokyo, Japan
SM210503018 Tokyo, Japan Vancouver, Canada
ISSUE DATE: DURATION: EMBARK DATE: DEBARK DATE:
SUITE / CATEGORY: EMBARK DATE: DEBARK DATE:
SUITE / CATEGORY: EMBARK DATE: DEBARK DATE:
$ 16,431.00 $ 49,293.00 $ 65,724.00
17/06/2020 32 days 19/04/2021 20/05/2021
827 / Superior Veranda 19/04/2021
03/05/2021
827 / Superior Veranda 03/05/2021
20/05/2021
      PAYMENT SCHEDULE (Currency Australian Dollars)
DEPOSIT DUE FINAL PAYMENT TOTAL

17/06/2020 20/12/2020 20/12/2020

MEL MELBOURNE VIC AU $ 34,600.00
$ 756.00-
$ 1,730.00- $ 1,250.00- $ 1,998.00
GUEST 2
MS. GUEST 2 QUOTE
MEL MELBOURNE VIC AU $ 34,600.00
$ 756.00-
$ 1,730.00-
$ 1,250.00- $ 1,998.00
$ 32,862.00
$ 32,862.00

On 6/17/2020 at 6:38 AM, jillyf said:

We cancelled a cruise in September 2021 on Regent with basically the same cruise in reverse and are feeling regretful but could rebook I’m sure. Do you think the cruise industry will have recovered by then, or should we wait till September?  

Of course, no one can accurately predict the state of the world and the cruise industry for next year. To me, the later you can plan to sail, the better the chances of things being better. If there's a vaccine that makes it through trials by the end of the year -- and that's still a big if -- how many people will have had a chance to get it by April versus by September? And the longer ships have been sailing, the more we'll know about whether they're remaining completely virus-free, and how much distancing and masks and myriad changes for the sake of safety affect the joy of the luxury cruising experience. So all other things being equal, I'd pick September over April to cruise next year. Of course, everything else isn't equal with different cruise lines, ships, offers, etc. -- so only you can decide which factors outweigh others.

• 2 weeks later...

Right before the pandemic hit, cruise lines were building and launching ships left and right, and things were pretty good for most cruise lines.  Not lots of reason to do other than dictate the terms - particularly the high end lines.  Now, maybe somewhat different.  I'm sure they'd like us to think it is no different, but if I saw something I wanted to do - I'd make them an offer.  Lay out something reasonable, don't be too grabby, but I suspect they might just do a little dealing.  I'm sure TA's do this all the time.  Worst they can do is say no, but they may just say yes.  I'm guessing particularly if you deal directly with the cruise line, not through a TA.  Although, a good TA may still get you where you want to be.  

I own some rental properties - am negotiating on rents.  I sell new houses - am negotiating on prices.  I'm buying ad space in local paper - boy, are they negotiating!!  Cruise lines need to fill beds - they're negotiating.