Using OBC on Specialty Dining

On 6/22/2020 at 10:02 AM, ilovethesparkles said:

Is there still a way to make a steakhouse and chefs table reservation without having to pay before you sail? I want to use our OBC to pay for them.

Carnival will not fill the ships at first. The first evening i the Steakhouse is your best deal. Once you book your charge will automatically apply to your OBC. The first evening you get a free bottle of wine or 50% off your choice to purchase. The reason. The fist evening is never busy and they try to get more to dine there. It is also casual dining. that is because many have not received their luggage by then. You will enjoy the best steak  and dining experience you probably never had. We have NEVER been disappointed. We always do the first evening on every carnival cruise.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Carnival will not fill the ships at first. The first evening i the Steakhouse is your best deal. Once you book your charge will automatically apply to your OBC. The first evening you get a free bottle of wine or 50% off your choice to purchase. The reason. The fist evening is never busy and they try to get more to dine there. It is also casual dining. that is because many have not received their luggage by then. You will enjoy the best steak  and dining experience you probably never had. We have NEVER been disappointed. We always do the first evening on every carnival cruise.

Great advice and I totally agree.  

• Like 2

On 6/22/2020 at 11:27 AM, coevan said:

OBC, on board credit, you can book both the Steakhouse and Chef's Table on board. We have never seen the Steakhouse full.

I have seen the steakhouse empty, yet was told that the tables were reserved.  That is why Carnival started charging as you book. 

I could see the specialty restaurants being packed.

I noticed this change recently as well. We always go to the steakhouse the first night but like you have OBC I would rather use as oppose to paying upfront especially now given the cancellations. I guess I will wait and try to book onboard. The free house wine or 50% off other bottles also applies the second night. Ate at Ruth Chris on Saturday at Harrahs. Told my husband that maybe if I swayed back and forth I could pretend I was on a cruise. I still say the Steakhouse is better than Ruth Chris though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lagienomai said:

I noticed this change recently as well. We always go to the steakhouse the first night but like you have OBC I would rather use as oppose to paying upfront especially now given the cancellations. I guess I will wait and try to book onboard. The free house wine or 50% off other bottles also applies the second night. Ate at Ruth Chris on Saturday at Harrahs. Told my husband that maybe if I swayed back and forth I could pretend I was on a cruise. I still say the Steakhouse is better than Ruth Chris though.

Sometimes they offer it on the second night, not always. Need to check when you board.

My experience has been the Chef's Table might sell out prior to embarkation, but they might just add more nights.  I book in advance when possible.

The Steakhouse (in my opinion not in the same league as Ruth's Chris, and overpriced considering your fare includes dinner) may not have the precise time slot you prefer, but is rarely, if ever sold out on any night.  Book on board and use OBC.

15 hours ago, bafinegan said:

Question, how does one book for the first night?  Just stop by and request a reservation?

Thanks,

baf

Reservations are now done online pre-cruise (of course you can still try to book once onboard, but 1st night and elegant nights book up)

7 minutes ago, jdoc2007 said:

Reservations are now done online pre-cruise (of course you can still try to book once onboard, but 1st night and elegant nights book up)

If you want to use OBC for specialty dining, you have no choice but to make the reservation once you get on board. Our plans that once we get on board, to go to the steakhouse to make our reservations....or use the hub app to make them. 

Thanks all. I think we will just chance it and book once onboard.  We have $1200 OBC to use and are paying for little ahead of time.  Just paid for an excursion we really wanted so it wouldn't sell out.  Not even pre-paying gratuities        ( which we ALWAYS do)..

baf

3 hours ago, jdoc2007 said:

They never fill up, wait until you board

1 hour ago, coevan said:

They never fill up, wait until you board

I agree, based on previous experience; however, when we return to cruising there are going to be a lot of people who are trying to use up OBC.