Avalon River Cruise starting from Remich to Nuremberg

Paulinda

We are thinking about an Oct 2021 river cruise from Remich to Nuremburg on an Avalon River boat.  We did an Avalon cruise 10 years ago so I imagine a lot has changed.  We had a tremendous time on the Felicity and see that ship is long gone.  

e were just wondering how a cruise on the Main compares to the Rhine.  Has anybody here done this cruise?  Could use some help on whether it's a winner.

Hello Paulinda,

I have found this itinerary appealing ever since I first read about it three or four years ago. The Moselle is very much liked by river cruisers and it is quieter as regards river traffic than the Rhine. You do not mention that your cruise ten years ago was on the Moselle so I assume you sailed just the Rhine. There is a thread on the Moselle, quite long by now: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2268619-the-river-moselle-infos-and-river-cruising-experiences/ 

The Avalon Felicity, as you say, no longer sails for the company but is still around, she sails as the Monarch Countess for Gate1 Travel.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Correction

I took a cruise from Antwerp Belgium to Basil that went up the Moslle River and enjoyed it  with GCT but that was back in 2006.  Before that my nephew lived in Traben-Trarbac many years ago and I was able to visit him several times.  I liked that the towns were smaller and not so crowded. But that may have changed by now

On 6/25/2020 at 7:11 AM, notamermaid said:

Hello Paulinda,

I have found this itinerary appealing ever since I first read about it three or four years ago. The Moselle is very much liked by river cruisers and it is quieter as regards river traffic than the Rhine. You do not mention that your cruise ten years ago was on the Moselle so I assume you sailed just the Rhine. There is a thread on the Moselle, quite long by now: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2268619-the-river-moselle-infos-and-river-cruising-experiences/ 

The Avalon Felicity, as you say, no longer sails for the company but is still around, she sails as the Monarch Countess for Gate1 Travel.

notamermaid

Thank you notamermaid for the link and the information regarding the Felicity.  Felicity was a relatively new ship when we sailed on it.   Our cruise at that time was strictly Rhine River- Amsterdam to Basel.   We did have a stop in Koblenz and thought it a lovely town but they were upgrading much of it for a pending flower show the next year.  It was difficult to navigate streets.  At the time we thought about a cruise on the Moselle.

We are looking forward to another cruise with Avalon and will check to see what they may offer on the Moselle.  Thanks again!