Laundry issues

sammysetra

Looking to the future, when sailings resume I have a mundane laundry question.

Has anyone else suffered damage to buttons when using the laundry service? We’ve sailed on the Epic; Breakaway; Getaway and Escape in the last 10 years. In almost all cases when our laundry came back there would be buttons cracked, halved or missing altogether.

We don’t have any problems at home and, for what it is worth, our shirts are high end (Boss/Lacoste/Gant).

Just wondering how other cruisers handled things when there was damage and what NCL did to resolve the issue.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've had a few damages,   but I don't use buttons.     I think the best-  fact-  don't send anything out, that you care about.    🙂     

And with all the new qualifiers-   all those added points for canceled cruises.   I don't know how they are going to keep up with all the perk laundry,  when there are hundreds of participants on board?   

• Like 1

I've had a few damages,   but I don't use buttons.     I think the best-  fact-  don't send anything out, that you care about.    [emoji846]     

And with all the new qualifiers-   all those added points for canceled cruises.   I don't know how they are going to keep up with all the perk laundry,  when there are hundreds of participants on board?   

You make a good point. Our next cruise, if it goes ahead, will be a TA on the Epic. We’ll be travelling from Europe so bringing 14 shirts each to avoid the laundry isn’t really an option.

To be honest, it’s the least of my concerns at the moment, but I saw a thread on laundry so I thought I’d ask the question.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

2 hours ago, sammysetra said:

Has anyone else suffered damage to buttons when using the laundry service? We’ve sailed on the Epic; Breakaway; Getaway and Escape in the last 10 years. In almost all cases when our laundry came back there would be buttons cracked, halved or missing altogether.

We sail multiple cruises a year and send in a couple of bags of laundry per cruise. We have never suffered damage. We have lost a couple of t-shirts along the way (and received much more than their value in OBC). Nothing of value lost. 

My theory.  Yes, they are industrial strength with the laundering.  Do not send anything in that is expensive, delicate.  They will be treated harshly.  That's just the way the laundry works.  Only laundry the basics that cannot or doesn't matter if they get abused.  Expect some harsh treatment.  Or don't use it.    But......we're a long way right now from laundry issues......I wish.    

9 hours ago, roger001 said:

My theory.  Yes, they are industrial strength with the laundering.  Do not send anything in that is expensive, delicate.  They will be treated harshly.  That's just the way the laundry works.  Only laundry the basics that cannot or doesn't matter if they get abused.  Expect some harsh treatment.  Or don't use it.    But......we're a long way right now from laundry issues......I wish.    

Normal treatment like you would receive at any land-based laundry - Yes

Harsh treatment - Absolutely Not

Clothes are sorted by washing instructions. Light detergents are used (not the more harsh chemicals used to keep white napkins white). Yes, they are mass washed and machine pressed. But, again, that is exactly what you would get from any dry cleaner at home. 

image.png.0332c0378ddc08b0f9c6746e3bf42d63.png

image.png.2196c1abacacc2a6470a53463a02edf1.png

image.png.fb15d7448dbe2b85d69a7845ae49f133.png

image.png.db2d6237a0436d0edefb4fb711bb60f4.png

We send items like socks, pajamas, underwear, casual tees, and jeans that we are not afraid will shrink.

They come back nicely folded and ready to wear.  

I hand wash (sink or tub with a travel sized laundry packet) things I'm concerned might shrink or be damaged, then roll them in a towel and squish all the water out before putting on a hanger to air dry.  If needed they can be sent out to press.

Biggest struggle is locating and removing the little yellow tags!

Sometimes I am not real crazy about the smell of their freshly washed laundry, but beats the alternative.

Edited by Sea saw 56
remembered additional comment

3 hours ago, Sea saw 56 said:

I hand wash (sink or tub with a travel sized laundry packet) things I'm concerned might shrink or be damaged, then roll them in a towel and squish all the water out before putting on a hanger to air dry.  If needed they can be sent out to press.

An excellent laundry product for this-  superior to “packets” of anything liquid or powder-   Is-  Zote soap.  I’ve been using it for years.  🤩

3 hours ago, Sea saw 56 said:

Biggest struggle is locating and removing the little yellow tags!

Sometimes I am not real crazy about the smell of their freshly washed laundry, but beats the alternative.

I agree - it's hard to get off those tags.  Sometimes their is a funny smell to the laundry.

My first time using my platinum free laundry perk I sent out some pajamas, a t-shirt, and shorts. The next day we were met in the hall by our steward and an officer. They let us know there had been a fire in the laundry area. My clothes weren't burned, but they needed to be rewashed to get out the smell of the fire. They apologize profusely. They seemed afraid I was going to be very angry, but I wasn't. The pajamas always smelled a little strange after that. My husband and I thought it was kind of funny because we had the perk for awhile, but had never used it before. Luckily the clothes were nothing I was too attached to or anything that was very expensive. I believe this happened on Gem.