Price drop repricing

drsel

Carnival price drops keep happening regularly.

At how large a price drop ( in dollar terms and/or percentage terms), should you phone your travel agent to reprice your Cruise ?

1 minute ago, drsel said:

At how large a price drop ( in dollar terms and/or percentage terms), should you phone your travel agent to reprice your Cruise ?

I do it Every Time!  Just make sure the offers you booked with are the same or better!

15 minutes ago, drsel said:

How do the agents reprice The Cruise ?
do they have to phone Carnival or can they do it online?

They have to call Carnival. Normally done while you are holding.

• Like 1

I only have oct 4th freedom booked. It's been sold out a long time and I think would only complicate things if there was a price drop as it's almost for sure getting cancelled. 

Might or might not rebook fall of 2021. Rcl has can cancel or move any cruise with no penalty vs early saver here. I wanted one carnival for the extra obc. Prices so high becoming not worth it. Just waiting now to be cancelled. I should have booked 2021 in the first place but the prices seem ridiculous for non refundable es options.

49 minutes ago, operaclg said:

I do it Every Time!  Just make sure the offers you booked with are the same or better!

46 minutes ago, cmukid87 said:

All price drops.  Why wouldn't you?

Agreed. I'll do it no matter how much, or how little, the price drop is.

We don't use a TA, I just shoot an email to our PVP, but even if we did, that wouldn't stop me. They're there to work for you.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, drsel said:

I did one for $20 one time.  First bucket of beer paid for.  That makes the beer taste that much better.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, drsel said:

But it's happening every 3--4 days.

Should I trouble the travel agent for a 2-- 3% price drop?

That's some of the work they do for their commission.  Be sure you're not price matching to a rate that will reduce your OBC or result in losing your cabin choice.

Why use a travel agent if you think your business "troubles" them?

I got one Cruise (in which I had chosen my cabin) repriced to the lower price. Same OBC

The second Cruise cabin is an inside guarantee and the price drop in IS category is valid only for new bookings, so I could not get it.

5 hours ago, cmukid87 said:

All price drops.  Why wouldn't you?

Well I put in for a $20 price drop then was sorry I did.

Cruise was for august 31, and within a week of final payment so they just refund the $20. Wasnt 2 weeks later they cancelled and I expected to get cancelled, asked for refund.

If you know you have 99% chance the cruise will be cancelled, next time I might just not ask  just complicates refund. 

Generally yes I'd ask for price drop. That one time I wished I'd left it alone. Still waiting on refunds. 

just our second time on Carnival.   Question....   On the early saver fare, there is a $50 non refundable deposit.

If there is a price drop and you want to re-fare to take advantage of it, do you lose the $50 deposit (per person) each time you re-fare?  or is that just lost if you cancel the cruise altogether?

Thx

Don

6 minutes ago, Mud_Shark said:

just our second time on Carnival.   Question....   On the early saver fare, there is a $50 non refundable deposit.

If there is a price drop and you want to re-fare to take advantage of it, do you lose the $50 deposit (per person) each time you re-fare?  or is that just lost if you cancel the cruise altogether?

Thx

Don

You actually have to watch if you re-price with a reduced deposit even more.  If there is no longer a reduced deposit offer, you will have have to pay the current (or full) deposit price. While that isn't always an issue IMO in general, if you are looking far out and don't want to tie up the $ it might be a deal breaker. 

Also if you use a TA who gives OBC, there could be an issue with price drops that aren't always thought of, esp if it puts you into a "new" bracket with them. IE: Your cruise was $2510 and your TA offered $150 OBC for that price. There is a small price drop, and the cruise is now $2490. That would drop my TA's "price bracket" and while I would save $30 in cash, the OBC would drop to $100. These are just random #'s I picked, but it happened to me one cruise. I mean.. it was a price drop of $600 and I lose $100 OBC so it was more than acceptable, but if it was a price drop of $75 and I lost $100 OBC it wouldn't have been. 

6 minutes ago, Mud_Shark said:

Thx

Don

Bury me at sea beat me to the first part of your question.

If you cancel with an Early Saver rate before your final payment date, you get a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit, minus a $50 per person fee.

Thank you for the quick and informative answers.

In our case, the deposit was only $50 each - so I understand, if we cancel prior to final payment, we will lose that amount.  We booked direct with Carnival on the website, so no OBC from travel agents are at risk.

But, we booked this cruise as a back-to-back with a Princess cruise on the lead-in side for January of 21.  Final payment is due at the beginning of November for both cruises.  If the Princess cruise cancels, we will likely not go at all and just eat the $100 deposit (for 2 people).

I have seen the fare fluctuate recently, but I don't think it is an early saver fare anymore, so if we re-fared, we would need to up our deposit.  But as I understand - only the $50pp would be forfeit if we cancel before final.

I really hope both cruises are a go - I am getting desperate to cruise - but  one day it sounds hopeful, the next it seems doubtful.  Will have to wait and see.

2 hours ago, Mud_Shark said:

I have seen the fare fluctuate recently, but I don't think it is an early saver fare anymore, so if we re-fared, we would need to up our deposit.  But as I understand - only the $50pp would be forfeit if we cancel before final.

I really hope both cruises are a go - I am getting desperate to cruise - but  one day it sounds hopeful, the next it seems doubtful.  Will have to wait and see.

If you booked an Early Saver rate, it stays an ES rate, unless you match to something different. There's always an ES rate available, but it may or may not be better than what you have. That's why it's important to look closely.

Someone had mentioned in another thread that they've seen some cruises go down in price, but not ours. We have one booked for January, 2021 and March 2022 and both of those have gone up since booking. Well, 2022 went down for a couple days because of a limited-time sale (which we matched to), but it's since gone back up. A lot of them have gone up for later this year and 2021 because demand is high. We're choosing to remain confident that our Jan. cruise will happen, and hope to see everyone's cruises happen starting Oct. 1st.

• Like 1

My oct 4th cruise included a $100 obc to book incentive from carnival. It's part of the rate. Let's say my fare was 900 plus $100 obc. If the cruisefare dropped to 850, I could get the $50 price drop but if the new offer doesnt have the obc, I'd lose the $100 obc.

Actually it only dropped $20, just giving example. So it wouldnt be worth it to me to get $20 lower price and lose $100 to spend onboard. The obc is part of the fare.