Driving to Alaska

47 minutes ago, diesel1973 said:

Is it possible to drive from Portland,OR. to Anchorage on the Al-Can highway now or are the borders still closed? Any info. will be appreciated.

The border is closed to non-essential travel. Currently the closure extends through July 21, but note that the closure has already been extended several times and given the continued growth of COVID-19 in the US I suspect it will be extended beyond July 21.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/06/16/fact-sheet-dhs-measures-border-limit-further-spread-coronavirus

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/news/2020/06/travel-restrictions-to-canada-remain-in-place-for-july-holidays.html

Edited by njhorseman

1 hour ago, diesel1973 said:

Is it possible to drive from Portland,OR. to Anchorage on the Al-Can highway now or are the borders still closed? Any info. will be appreciated.

Yes.  Non-discretionary travel is permitted.  Typically this would be for Alaska residents to return home or some type of job-related relocation (for example).  There are lots of rules and if you’re contemplating a need to do it, best to contact CBSA beforehand to ensure all your ducks are in order.

Given our Premier here in BC was just complaining about reports of Americans crossing the border by claiming to be heading to Alaska, but then actually hanging around not just on the BC Mainland in places where they are far, FAR off the route there but even crossing to Vancouver Island during their drive-to-Alaska-honest-guv(!?) - it's trivially easy to cross in a car. If you don't want your tires slashed etc. (multiple reports here on Vancouver Reddit forum about folks with Alberta and US plates parked on streets being vandalized in various ways) then stick to the most direct route, even leave a note on your window during any stop for a meal or overnight that you are going to Alaska with minimal stops to play safe.

But assuming you do intend to drive to AK, then that's literally all you need to tell CBSA - they are currently not even asking for proof of accommodation bookings, Alaskan residency or anything else. So provided you pass the usual 'no criminal record' type stuff, and have no Covid symptoms (depending which border crossing, you may be interviewed by folks from local health board or government about that rather than CBSA doing it) you'll probably find the border crossing easier than normal due to almost no queue time anywhere.

Given you list an IL and AK location Diesel, even if CBSA upgrade their questioning and requirements based on the current public outrage about a relative handful of US tourists being a**holes and just pretending to visit AK, you won't have any issues as I imagine you have property there - even the Canadian politicians who are championing more stringent questioning are only demanding things like proof you have somewhere to go in AK, either property of your own or a booked rental of some type (plus a bond so that if you don't cross the border when you say you will, you get effectively fined - but frankly I just can't see that actually happening!)

Thanks you for your response. I don't have a legal address in AK but spend a significant amount of time there staying at my nephews residence, He has purchased a vehicle in Portland and needs to drive it to his home in Eagle River,AK. I thought I would go with him as I would like to drive that route 1 time and also to reduce his travel time. I called CBSA and they could not give me a definite answer, stating it would be up to the agent on duty at the entry point. Really don't want to take a chance since a refusal to admit me would really " throw a monkey wrench in the pump ".Maybe after all this virus crap is over I will get a chance to do it!

20 hours ago, diesel1973 said:

Thanks you for your response. I don't have a legal address in AK but spend a significant amount of time there staying at my nephews residence, He has purchased a vehicle in Portland and needs to drive it to his home in Eagle River,AK. I thought I would go with him as I would like to drive that route 1 time and also to reduce his travel time. I called CBSA and they could not give me a definite answer, stating it would be up to the agent on duty at the entry point. Really don't want to take a chance since a refusal to admit me would really " throw a monkey wrench in the pump ".Maybe after all this virus crap is over I will get a chance to do it!

SOP of never confirming anything over the phone remains in place for CBSA then. It's ALWAYS up to agent discretion to let people in, regardless of visas, citizenship etc. (unless Canadian)! That said - even though it's legal to drive through Canada to Alaska and is still happening, the most responsible way for him to get his car home would be to 'drive' the Maritime Highway from Bellingham; especially since I assume it's the Eagle River by Anchorage, close to a port (rather than a cabin on Eagle River down nearer Ketchikan without any roads :classic_wink: ).

But failing that, taking someone to split the drive - provided you do stick to the route without any deviations to go and see/do things, the few Americans who have been fined and/or quarantined were found hiking in parks rather than driving to Alaska as they had claimed at the border - is safer than him doing it himself. With two drivers you can travel twice as far each day safely, meaning fewer overnight stops in Canada, so reduced COVID risk as well as the 'spending fewer hours behind the wheel' aspect.

Edited by martincath

Thanks for your response. My nephew has decided to take his daughter with instead of risking problems with taking me. I am somewhat disappointed to not be able to go but things happen for a reason. Maybe in the future it might become possible. Will be interested to listen to his stories(as I'm sure there will be) when he returns. Mean while I am enjoying this wonderful cool weather up here as opposed to the heat back in Illinois and will get some extra fishng in.

49 minutes ago, diesel1973 said:

Checked with Maritime Highway and cost would be $4000+. A little pricey. My nephew and his daughter are driving up and are leaving today. Thanks for all the info.

I hope they have a smooth, safe, and minimally-interactive-with-others drive!