Marina heading for Europe now?

Pet

According to cruise ship tracker Marina is heading out into the Atlantic on course for Italy, where it will presumably arrive in about a week. Does this mean they intend to restart her late summer/autumn programme in Europe? Seems unlikely as at present all Oceania cruises are cancelled until 1 October and she is due to transit back to the USA in late November so it hardy seems worth it for about 6 weeks in Europe always assuming the ban on cruising isn't extended beyond October! She was due to have a refit back in April in Spain so maybe that is the reason for doing a 6,000 mile round trip?

I can't think of a reason for her to head to Italy other than the refit.  Which would be really surprising to me if O decided to spend the money now.  But then again, maybe a deal with a shipyard and an open slot was too good to pass up. Fingers crossed that I get to see her up close and personal next June.  We were already slated to sail on Sirena, and the current sale made disembarking Sirena and walking down the pier to pick up Marina just too enticing.

It could be repatriating crew.

If it is going to a shipyard i doubt cosmetic refurbishment is on the agenda. Oceania won't be spending a dime that they don't have to  There are mechanical and safety inspections mandated by SOLAS that must be completed every five years. They can't be postponed if the ship is going to be carrying passengers.

Edited by njhorseman

There was an article in one of the industry’s rags about the cruise lines working together now to repatriate crews. Different cruise line ships,  going in different directions , with joint crews to get them home. Then another through cleaning.

The Marina isn’t scheduled to sail again until 12/6. That’s from Miami. Looking like she might skip that cruise and start with the next cruise in Lima, away from US waters.

19 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

It could be repatriating crew.

If it is going to a shipyard i doubt cosmetic refurbishment is on the agenda. Oceania won't be spending a dime that they don't have to  There are mechanical and safety inspections mandated by SOLAS that must be completed every five years. They can't be postponed if the ship is going to be carrying passengers.

Good points.

Thank you for the logical reasons for Marina's voyage to Europe. We are booked on her TA in November but I doubt if it will take place for the reasons expressed by Flatbush Flyer above. I have every respect for his/her views but sadly both here and in the USA there is a minority who believe there views on whatever subject is important to them need to be expressed through large gatherings which in the main ignore the possible repercussions to the majority.

5 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

how about starting a thread on Covid arguments  & let the other threads stick close to the topic

No need to  have covid arguments in EVERY thread  here

JMO

Good idea.

45 minutes ago, Pet said:

Amazed that my relatively straightforward question about Marina's cruise to Europe seems to have escalated into a full blown rant on everything from education to religious beliefs. I'll let you get on with it but I'll pass if you don't mind!  

it looks like they are still repatriating crew

They did a trip to Central America & Caribbean

They were  dropping of some crew in DR or Haiti  the other day before heading across the pond

What happen once in Europe is anyone's guess  at this point

JMO

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

it looks like they are still repatriating crew

They did a trip to Central America & Caribbean

They were  dropping of some crew in DR or Haiti  the other day before heading across the pond

What happen once in Europe is anyone's guess  at this point

JMO

As per Seatrade "More than 200,000 seafarers remain stranded at sea, according to ILO.
Though not specified, tens of thousands of crew are still believed to be stuck aboard cruise ships around the world. "

The good news is that thirteen nations pledge action on stranded seafarers and are urging all IMO states to accept seafarers as 'key workers' who should be permitted to cross borders and access commercial flights.

Many of those nations pushing for this are European so hopefully crew will be getting home soon.

• Like 1

From my source onboard Marina now.   They are due in Civitavecchia/Rome on July 17th.

Approx  400 crew onboard.  Most to be sent home on charter flights from Rome.

No mention of re fit.  Time in that port unknown at this time.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, EasyGoingGuy said:

Genoa. I know every ship has to be somewhere, and Nautica is already there, but for those of you 'in the know', is it surprising in any way that Marina is also going there? 😷

still dropping off crew  so they can get home