Cruise/Land Rental Car Advice

klfrodo

Doing a land vacation (holiday) prior to a cruise in 2021. 

*** I hope**** Assuming this pandemic situation gets under control by then***

Anyway, I will be renting (hiring) a car in Nantes to visit friends near Chateaubriant.

Our entire trip is 5 weeks out of the US so luggage is going to be an issue (we could argue that, but on some things I don't argue with the wife)

So, 3 people, 3 large pieces of luggage, 2 medium pieces of luggage, and 3 small backpacks.

Do I go with a Peugeot 308 SW

or a Renault Grand Scenic

I would go to a local dealership and look but none around. YouTube reviews can be a little deceiving.

Thanks

Part of the issue is driving at times on smaller roads and parking.   We have enjoyed a Peugeot in the past. I think you will have a real problem with that amount of luggage, as luggage space is not ample in European vehicles. 

Years  ago when we travelled as a family, we each brought one  carryon size suitcase for 5 weeks. My husband said he was not going to carry all the luggage and we each needed to do our own.  Since then one medium rolling suitcase and backpack each suffice for anywhere.  Keep in mind that you can do laundry on the ship and pack for a maximum of 10 nites. 

We’ve had great luck booking through autoeuope a broker to many of the main European companies. 

There is another issue when carrying lots of luggage.  It is not a good idea to leave your car (even for a few minutes) with luggage in the vehicle...especially if it is visible to somebody looking through a window.  Luggage theft is a real problem in France, Italy and other parts of Europe.  In fact, it is sometimes so bad that we have had pensioners offer to watch our car if we park at a roadside rest stop and want to leave the car.  DW and I usually make sure that one of us is always with the car if there is luggage inside.  If you get the Peugeot you will likely need to pile some luggage on the back seat which means you absolutely should not leave the vehicle unguarded for even a few moments.

I agree with Bennybear that Autoeurope (and their sister company Kemwel) will often have terrifc rental car deals and can also explain the leasing options (leasing a car in France can be a great idea if you need the car for 3 or more weeks).  We have often found that with Autoeurope of Kemwel..we can get cars through Hertz or Europcar with zero deductibles.

Hank

• Like 1

Good point,  we too have been aware of that and always make sure that nothing is visible and we backup against a wall if we must stop.   Usually we just drive to our hotel and then do our sightseeing after our luggage is dropped off. 

9 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good point,  we too have been aware of that and always make sure that nothing is visible and we backup against a wall if we must stop.   Usually we just drive to our hotel and then do our sightseeing after our luggage is dropped off. 

We have some good friends who have been traveling to Portugal for decades and always have a rental car.  They are very savvy travelers and are careful.   About 5 years ago, while driving to Madrid to catch a flight home, they stopped in a cute village for lunch and parked on the street near the restaurant.  When they came out of the restaurant, after lunch, somebody had jimmied open their trunk (boot for you Brits) and stolen all of their luggage!  Fortunately, they had their Passports and valuables with them but had lost nearly all their clothes.  The only good news was that they were on their way home after a 6 week trip so the theft did not ruin their vacation.  

Bottom line is that folks really need to pay attention to their personal security.  Unlike here in the USA, most of the crime is not violent, but the purse snatchers, pickpockets, and luggage thieves are very good at their craft.  Many are Roma (gypsies) and the open borders of the EU have made it easy for them to move around the continent.  Our own experiences with the Roma have been almost amusing, but travelers need to always be aware of their surroundings and use lots of common sense.

Hank

Ended up with a Peugeot 5008.

Manual transmission is just fine 😀

As a CYA getting my International Drivers Permit from AAA (only $20 or so)

Getting a copy of my CDW coverage from Chase Sapphire Reserve. Printing and carrying in French and English.

Note to self: Video tape and take notes of car condition interior and exterior prior to driving off the lot. Preferably with a rep from Sixt.

• Like 1

We also use autoeurope frequently in Europe.   It pays to keep checking on their rates.  They fluctuate (like cruise prices). You may book and pay at a certain rate.  Depending on supply and demand that rate may go down.  If you call autoeurope they will adjust the price.

Another autoeurope plus for us is they always have had the very best price for us on in country one way rentals.  This is what we usually opt for.

Could not agree more...whatever you do no not leave luggage or any other items visible in the car.

Over the years we have rented many times in Europe.  Last fall the very first time that I have been asked from my International Drivers License.  I had one but was told (in Greece) at four different rental agencies that I would not be able to rent a car without it.  Someone on this forum mentioned that it was a new EU regulation but I really do not know.

Good idea to take photos of the car.  Also check inside trunk. Some countries recommend the international driving license, some like Italy and Greece require it.  Auto Europe actually notes the requirements on their vouchers.  Another reason to use Autoeurope,  when the attendant puts gas in your diesel vehicle they come and pick it up without charge and you get a new vehicle😫

We too have found the rates can and do change, sometimes  substantially.   We always check a few times even a few days before we leave.  

Also a great idea to have a letter from your insurance or credit card in your name stating coverage.  We got caught by that once in Germany.   

Sometime the autoeurope agency will try to upsell you on local insurance.   We had to stand through one sales pitch in Faro, Portugal. .  At the end we said no.  Then the agent went into this tirade beside the car about the car antenna, how often it stolen or damaged, and how expensive it is.  They must be on commission.

We looked at her and said no problem.  It was one of those that screwed on to the based.  I unscrewed it and placed it in the trunk since we did not need the car radio. . She really did not like that solution

• Haha 1

If you are ever in that situation, I usually insist they call auto Europe.  They will act on your behalf.   It is nice to have Someone in your corner.  We’ve used them for well over twenty years.  They also offer basic rentals or ones with full insurance, unless you are somewhere like Italy where full insurance is mandatory.  

On 7/14/2020 at 3:48 PM, klfrodo said:

Getting a copy of my CDW coverage from Chase Sapphire Reserve. Printing and carrying in French and English.

Note to self: Video tape and take notes of car condition interior and exterior prior to driving off the lot. Preferably with a rep from Sixt.

Apologies if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs............

Can I presume that this is to cover the CDW excess?
(Rentals in Europe normally include CDW but with a high excess, typically €1,000 to €1,500)

You don't actually need a copy to show to the rental agency, they're not interested. If there's damage (even disputed damage) they'll charge for the cost up to the excess level. You then apply to the excess insurer for a refund. Any help you can give your insurer (eg photos / video) will be appreciated by them but any dispute will be between them and the rental agency.

If you're going to take the trouble of photos/videos on collection, you may need to do the same on return - some agencies don't inspect, you simply hand over the key. Especially true out-of-hours.

That's the main downside of insuring the excess through a third party, and it won't stop the rental agency from doing their damnest to also sell you their own excess cover. But the rental agency rates for zero CDW excess are gross, often as much again as the base rental fee - and that seems to be true of all agencies. So I rate third-party cover for the CDW excess as definitely the way to go, though I've had no experience of claiming.

I have (had) worldwide annual excess cover from a major insurer for about £60 ($85), though last time I renewed was about 2 years ago - I didn't renew because of theCovid-19 travel restrictions.

For your luggage, that's a good choice of car too.

As others have commented, you need your luggage to be out of sight if you leave the car unattended, such as visiting places of interest en-route. As well as being large, the trunk has a low floor - meaning a high load-space between trunk floor and retractable load cover screen. And no intrusions such as wheel-arches.

https://www.whatcar.com/peugeot/5008/estate/review/n17369/space-practicality 

JB :classic_smile: 

On 7/18/2020 at 4:20 AM, John Bull said:

Apologies if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs............

Can I presume that this is to cover the CDW excess?
(Rentals in Europe normally include CDW but with a high excess, typically €1,000 to €1,500)

You don't actually need a copy to show to the rental agency, they're not interested. If there's damage (even disputed damage) they'll charge for the cost up to the excess level. You then apply to the excess insurer for a refund. Any help you can give your insurer (eg photos / video) will be appreciated by them but any dispute will be between them and the rental agency.

If you're going to take the trouble of photos/videos on collection, you may need to do the same on return - some agencies don't inspect, you simply hand over the key. Especially true out-of-hours.

That's the main downside of insuring the excess through a third party, and it won't stop the rental agency from doing their damnest to also sell you their own excess cover. But the rental agency rates for zero CDW excess are gross, often as much again as the base rental fee - and that seems to be true of all agencies. So I rate third-party cover for the CDW excess as definitely the way to go, though I've had no experience of claiming.

I have (had) worldwide annual excess cover from a major insurer for about £60 ($85), though last time I renewed was about 2 years ago - I didn't renew because of theCovid-19 travel restrictions.

For your luggage, that's a good choice of car too.

As others have commented, you need your luggage to be out of sight if you leave the car unattended, such as visiting places of interest en-route. As well as being large, the trunk has a low floor - meaning a high load-space between trunk floor and retractable load cover screen. And no intrusions such as wheel-arches.

https://www.whatcar.com/peugeot/5008/estate/review/n17369/space-practicality 

JB :classic_smile: 

JB,

It is sometimes possible for we here on this side of the pond to get pretty good deals with zero excess if booking through Autoeurope or Kemwel.  They are a discount company that contract with majors such as Hertz and Europcar.  It varies from year to year but can sometimes amount to a fantastic deal for those of us in North America who are traveling to Europe.  But who knows what will happen with the COVID-19 situation?  I think the post COVID travel world will be different but have no clue to how different!  Consider that Hertz has already filed for bankruptcy protection here in the USA.

Hank