Questions on HAL's Private Fare Sale

Long time HAL cruiser. Recently received an email from HAL about Private Fare sale for some Mexican and Caribbean cruises. The prices were amazing, like $499 for a Veranda. Emailed our cruise agent and signed up for cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam March 31, 2021. 

We were assigned cabin 4001. I should have checked before hand but our consultant said it was fine. Turns out it can be noisy.

Consultant said we cannot change the cabin now, which is too bad I guess. Any hope we could if we call HAL directly? 

The deposit is non-refundable but is it transferable?

No way would I take a non-refundable. It seems to me as HAL is looking for some money to tide them over until things get back to what ever passes for the new normal.

Strange that you cannot change cabins at this point, so far before sailing.  I have never had that happen.  I would call HAL directly and see what they can do for you. Now, if you took a guarantee, I would understand not being able to pick a cabin, but then again you would not have been assigned a specific cabin at this point.  

In looking at the deck plan, I may see your problem - you are in a category VH( there are only 4 of them I think), the lowest of the verandahs on this ship.  Perhaps you can pay a bit more to move up to a better located verandah.

• Like 2

4001 is far forward on the Upper Promenade.  Who took the booking, a TA or a HAL consultant?  Ordinarily on a nonrefundable promo you would be booked as a guarantee with your stateroom being assigned about three weeks prior to sailing.   You booked the cheapest veranda room available.  Call them back and see if you were assigned a specific room or a guarantee VH category. If it is a guarantee you will probably get a better stateroom.  If not, tell them you will accept an upgrade.

Does 4001 get any noise from the showroom which is somewhat below it?  There is possible increased motion at front of ship if seas are in the least "bouncy". That doesn't bother some people but I would do anything to change cabins myself.  Good luck!   I'm currently booked on this cruise too.  I reserved before the whole pandemic mess caused the cruising pause. 

~Nancy

17 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

4001 is far forward on the Upper Promenade.  Who took the booking, a TA or a HAL consultant?  Ordinarily on a nonrefundable promo you would be booked as a guarantee with your stateroom being assigned about three weeks prior to sailing.   You booked the cheapest veranda room available.  Call them back and see if you were assigned a specific room or a guarantee VH category. If it is a guarantee you will probably get a better stateroom.  If not, tell them you will accept an upgrade.

I called HAL and they said there is nothing they can do. We are stuck in 4001. I am a bit miffed. Our deposit is non-transferable. So our only choice if we really don't want to go with this cabin is to cancel (eventually) and eat the $200. But the cruise is a long way off, and we could be offered an upgrade. 

How "bad" are these forward cabins? I would think they would be right above the shows. We usually get a Neptune Suite (at least when traveling with my father-in-law) or just a balance or signature sweet or something like that. As long as I can sleep that would be fine...

11 minutes ago, Kansas Jayhawk Cruiser said:

I called HAL and they said there is nothing they can do. We are stuck in 4001. I am a bit miffed. Our deposit is non-transferable. So our only choice if we really don't want to go with this cabin is to cancel (eventually) and eat the $200. But the cruise is a long way off, and we could be offered an upgrade. 

How "bad" are these forward cabins? I would think they would be right above the shows. We usually get a Neptune Suite (at least when traveling with my father-in-law) or just a balance or signature sweet or something like that. As long as I can sleep that would be fine...

I would expect more motion in the far forward cabins, but how bad it is depends on the weather and your itinerary of course.

I would also expect noise from the shows, but that should be over by about 11 PM or so (not sure exactly).  You might also get some noise during rehersals, ect. during the day.

7 hours ago, Kansas Jayhawk Cruiser said:

I think it will be fine.  You got a good price and a balcony.  Forward cabins have more movement and you may hear ship noise, like the anchor,  but that is temporary.  Any cabin can have issues.  Enjoy the cruise.

• Like 1

On Koningsdam i too got a forwardcabin ...the ship hitting the waves,  the noise from wind wtc etc made sleep near impossible .The banging against the hull was veryloud and very  scary .forget opening the balcony when sailing ...impossible 

how the ship survived that banging is nothing short of a miracle ...those hulls must be super sturdy 

i would neverget a forward cabin again ...I too could not change cBins nor pay for upgrade 
sometimes bargains offered are not 

On 7/9/2020 at 10:42 AM, DaveOKC said:

I would also expect noise from the shows, but that should be over by about 11 PM or so (not sure exactly).  You might also get some noise during rehersals, ect. during the day.

Have you ever been in a forward cabin on any of these ships?.